Thread: Savage 99

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Savage 99

Going to an auction tomorrow and they have a 99 and a 99E, both in .308. I've handled a 99 in .308 probably 30 years ago. Don't recall if it was a 99 or 99E or any other version but I liked it and have been tempted to pull the trigger on one over the years but just never got around to it. From the crappy photos all I can really tell is that one has checkering on the pistol grip area only and has a barrel band with sling point. The other has checkering on both the forearm and pistol grip area and it has a sling point on the bottom of the forearm.

Any information in the rifle in general and the versions in .308 would be appreciated.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

show me a pic. I have a couple of them. My .308 is a 99E. The E was apparently the economy version. had cheaper wood etc but still every bit a good shooter.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I'm having problems posting pics but here is the web site with the photos

http://www.jpillowauctions.com/absol...00-bedford-va/
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Hard to tell with those shitty pics but the one with the sling swivel on the barrel looks like the older one. The one with the sling swivel on the forend looks like the 99e that I have. Make sure you check the crown as the previous owners likely cleaned them from the muzzle end. If I were buying one I would be focusing on the one with the sling swivel on the barrel. It also looks like it might have scope bases on it. That might have been done after. I believe the 99e had this done at factory. The 99e also had the round counter omitted to cut costs. If the older one is the detachable mag version then it will not have the round counter either.
    Last edited by rci2950; 04-07-2017 at 07:52 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Thank you.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

They guy had a wide ranging collection. Some really nice pieces and some real .... well crap actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    They guy had a wide ranging collection. Some really nice pieces and some real .... well crap actually.
    He sure did. Did you notice the listing for the "8 bore" punt gun? I think I found the photo, old percussion gun.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068