Thread: Book Review "A Higher Call"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Book Review "A Higher Call"

Just finished reading "A Higher Call" by Adam Makos and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is the non-fictional story of a B-17 bomber in WWII that was severely damaged by anti-aircraft fire over Germany. With one crew member killed and two more severely wounded (leaving 7 crew members functioning) the pilot evaded attacks from 8 German fighters. These attacks, however, damaged his plane more, removing almost all the rear control surfaces. A last German fighter flew up to the plane and seeing the condition of the crew and plane, instead of shooting it down (and earning the pilot the highest German medal for heroism) let the plane go. The story follows the life of the German pilot to determine why he would make this decision and why he felt it was the only honorable and moral thing to do.

If you are looking for a good book, you should really consider this one.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

That's cool. When I get back to reading that genre (it's been a while) I will check it out.

Is this the story of Charlie Brown's B-17?
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

It sounds very interesting. altarboy what genre do you read. I never thought of books as genre i just pick them up and read them.
    Now there are things I do not read(horror since IT gave me a nightmare) and romance but all the rest are an open book.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Is this the story of Charlie Brown's B-17?
    Yes, but the story focuses on why a German pilot would let a B-17 go (and all the risks associated with that decision) instead of on the heroics of Charlie and his crew to get the plane back to England.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    It sounds very interesting. altarboy what genre do you read. I never thought of books as genre i just pick them up and read them.
    Now there are things I do not read(horror since IT gave me a nightmare) and romance but all the rest are an open book.
    There are many different genres. The basic would be fiction and non-fiction. As I have gotten older I find that I read very few fictions, there is just no time to deal with things that are made up. After that there is science fiction, historical fiction, fantasy fiction, just to name a few (with equivalent genres in non-fiction).

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Just finished reading "A Higher Call" by Adam Makos and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is the non-fictional story of a B-17 bomber in WWII that was severely damaged by anti-aircraft fire over Germany. With one crew member killed and two more severely wounded (leaving 7 crew members functioning) the pilot evaded attacks from 8 German fighters. These attacks, however, damaged his plane more, removing almost all the rear control surfaces. A last German fighter flew up to the plane and seeing the condition of the crew and plane, instead of shooting it down (and earning the pilot the highest German medal for heroism) let the plane go. The story follows the life of the German pilot to determine why he would make this decision and why he felt it was the only honorable and moral thing to do.

If you are looking for a good book, you should really consider this one.

Is this about Franz Stigler?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Is this about Franz Stigler?
    Yes, that was the German pilot.

NRA Endowment Member