Thread: Advice needed - what's your 'camp gun' when camping in BEAR country

Advice needed - what's your 'camp gun' when camping in BEAR country

I'm talking possibly Grizzly territory. I always carried a S&W Model29 Classic for Grizzley, but I may be going up to a friend's land in Canada and they don't allow handguns, but I can take an 'unrestricted' rifle or shotgun. Thoughts? I'm not hunting, just camping, but it might be in some 'dicey' regions of the Remote Alberta/BC border area.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Got a .45-70 lever gun? Otherwise anything that slings 250 grain bullets at over 2000 fps would be a candidate.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Bear mace.

Hope you make it up there. I would have to be with Schuetz on this. What does your buddy have laying around?
    Enjoy it!!!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I don't think you can go wrong with a 12 Gauge shotgun. I'm not sure about what is allowed in Canada for non-citizens though.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Definitely a 12 ga shotgun loaded with slugs.

If that don't stop them nothing will. Most encounters are gonna be up close and personal so a rifle doesn't offer much advantage and a 12 ga slug is a lot more devastating than even the best rifle rounds, and you're not likely to get off a whole lot of rounds before it's on ya, so hi-cap isn't a strong point either.

That and the fact that there aren't many restrictions of any kind anywhere on shotguns.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Yep, a 12 bore with slugs or sabots and mebbe a 44 mag on the hip.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Hope you make it up there. I would have to be with Schuetz on this. What does your buddy have laying around?
    Enjoy it!!!
    I was actually thinking of just using HIS M44 Mosin Carbine. I always liked the M44 carbine and the 7.62x54R cartridge has to be better than a handgun round, no? I also like the additional pig sticker on that puppy as additional protection against hostile critters.

But thanks everyone for the input! I can tell that most folks like the 12 gauge with slugs. Either one of these guns I can borrow from my buddy when I arrive. I wasn't planning on bringing anything into Canada being that I didn't want to deal with the firearms laws hassles.

Don't we have a member in the Great White North?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

A .22LR is all you need. If a bear attacks just shoot the guy your within the leg. You don't have to out run the bear, just him.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    A .22LR is all you need. If a bear attacks just shoot the guy your within the leg. You don't have to out run the bear, just him.
    How very Shane of you Richard.
    https://youtu.be/MFzEWXTTnBU
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 04-18-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I was actually thinking of just using HIS M44 Mosin Carbine. I always liked the M44 carbine and the 7.62x54R cartridge has to be better than a handgun round, no? I also like the additional pig sticker on that puppy as additional protection against hostile critters.

But thanks everyone for the input! I can tell that most folks like the 12 gauge with slugs. Either one of these guns I can borrow from my buddy when I arrive. I wasn't planning on bringing anything into Canada being that I didn't want to deal with the firearms laws hassles.

The 54R round is a power factor like .30-07 but, it is a rimmed cartridge. Surplus ammo is usually the only hot rounds, most of the soft points I've seen are fairly slow. Back to the rimmed cartridge thing, I owned a lot of Mosins and not all of them would cycle ammo reliably. Also bolt lift on them is very clunky, nobody has arms long enough to cycle the bolt with the rifle shouldered using the stock bolt. You end up pulling the rifle down so you cycle and chamber a round then reshoulder it.

The 12 ga. with deer slugs will do the job if that's all you have. They hit as hard as .30-06 180 gr. bullets for striking energy.

We use 12ga with Brenneke slugs. I've dumped several bears with it. Just make sure you get the 1 1/8oz Classic Magnum or heavier. It'll shoot through a bear broadside and will crash through brisket and shoulder bones in a similar manner as hard-cast pistol bullets. Stay away from Foster slugs. They are constructed like a sewing thimble and are made of soft lead that will flatten out on bone or large muscle mass.
    Last edited by stevelyn; 04-20-2017 at 08:33 AM.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

A good .308 Carbine would do just fine. But not addressed here is weather or not you want to conceal said firearm. I would go with my G20SF (10MM) if that was a concern. The 10mm is perfectly capable of penetrating a bear skull and you have 15 rounds to get it done. Also, a SA 44 Mag would be good.

As this is "camping" and not "packing" then I'd go with the carbine - a lever gun would be fine too - like one chambered in 44 Mag or hot loaded 45 Colt.

I think there are many good options that would save your bacon if it came down to that. Which it rarely does...
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

12 ga shotgun with slugs and ssg mix. SSGs first out, followed by slugs.

The reasoning for this is because you will most likely be in areas where long range shooting is out of the question, and the first round with several large pellets will give the bear something to consider while you use slugs in follow up shots, with a bit more time to place them where they will do the most damage.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

444 marlin lever rifle...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

...in Canada and they don't allow handguns....

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
    I'm going to try and see if he has a 12 gauge with slugs, pretty sure he does. I'm not bringing anything over the border myself, too much hassle. Also for all the responders who kept on advising me as to what handgun I should use, LOL, thanks but in the original post, I stated that I can't bring a handgun into the God Forsaken Libtard Country of the North hahahaha. Thanks anyway, and I'll use that info for when I camp in the USA

I'm still enamored with the idea of the M44 Carbine with the bayonet extended. Maybe it's a silly notion about a spear like weapon in addition to a firearm. It's a standoff weapon if the critter is close. Once when I was hiking with a buddy in the High desert of Nevada, I had a bayonet mounted to my M1A when I hear growling near the campside at midnight once.

Again, I'm NOT bringing anything over the border, so I have to use what's already there. I'll let y'all know what he has when I find out

Yeah you really should read a thread before you post. But.....
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Yeah you really should read a thread before you post. But.....
    Yeah, I still liked some of the handgun comments. That advice I'll take when I'm hiking or camping in dangerous areas in the United States ... that is until the LIBTARDS turn us into a Gun Free Utopia.......