Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NOLA Confederate Monument Removal Scheduled for 1:00 a.m. Monday

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

NOLA Confederate Monument Removal Scheduled for 1:00 a.m. Monday

http://soitgoesinshreveport.blogspot...moval.html?m=1

In the continuing drama of the New Orleans Confederate monuments, it seems the matter is finally coming to a critical point.

Last week, Mayor Mitch Landrieu planned to remove at least two of the four targeted monuments in the dead of night, but his plans changed at the last moment when word was leaked to the public.

His plans are now back on track for this weekend. Reliable sources are suggesting that Landrieu will remove the monuments at 1:00 a.m., Monday although this is not officially confirmed by Landrieu's office.

This all began in mid-2015 when Mayor Landrieu decided the monuments were offensive and went to the city council to begin process of removal. The four targeted monuments are: Lee Circle, P.G.T. Beauregard statue, Liberty Place monument, and the Jefferson Davis monument.

The city council voted 6-1 in December 2015 to approve removal of the monuments.

Immediately, a Facebook group called Save Our Circle was formed; they started a petition to save the monuments and collected over 29,000 signatures. The petition was delivered to Mayor Landrieu to no effect.

The project was put out for bid and the removal contract was awarded to H&O Investments, but they pulled out of the contract after the owner's Lamborghini was found torched in January 2016.

The quest to preserve the monuments has worked its way through the courts, all the way through the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals who ruled in March 2017 that the monuments can be removed.

The group instigating the monument removal is Take 'Em Down NOLA and has made it clear they will not be satisfied with simply removing the statues. They want school names changed, street names changed, and even the name of Tulane University and Touro Hospital changed.

Lt. Governor, Billy Nungesser, appealed to President Trump in early April 2017 to intervene, citing the American Antiquities Act of 1906, but there has been no response from Washington.

Only one contractor, Couzan Services, Ltd., has responded to the call for bids this time and his bid of $600,000 is far and above what the city's $170,000 budget. Who is making up the difference?

Louisiana Governor, John Bel Edwards, takes the position that the monuments are a local issue for New Orleans and that the state should not be involved. I find this position preposterous coming from a man elected to represent the entire state. By that logic, a flood in Bossier Parish is a local issue and requires no response from the governor.

And so, here we are.

If you think, like Governor Edwards, that this is just a local issue, let me suggest to you that it is not. This is a slippery slope of epic proportions and serves only to divide us even further. The Antiquities Act of 1906 would suggest that as a country we are interesting in preserving sites and artifacts that define us; like it or not, the Civil War is part of our history. To remove these monuments would be an attempt to hide part of our history.

It's not clear what Mayor Landrieu plans to do with the monuments; why is he in such a hurry to remove them when he has not articulated a clear plan to the concerned public about where he will put them? As pieces of art, this is a grave concern. One reason he may be in such a hurry is that there are three bills in the legislature right now that may preserve them and perhaps Landrieu wants to get ahead of them. There has been rumor that Whitney Plantation might be their destination, a decision disturbing on many levels.

Confederate era monuments were in large part erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy who raised money for them through private donations, bake sales, and other fund-raising events for the purpose of honoring their ancestors. Many of these monuments are beautiful works of art and sculpture and are priceless.

What can be done at this point to stop Mayor Landrieu's 1:00 a.m., dead of night, removal? Make contacts:

Lt.Governor Billy Nungesser : 225-342-7009 or email at lt.gov@crt.la.gov

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry: 225-326-6079,225-326-6757 or email at ConstituentServices@ag.Louisiana.gov.

Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards email, or call 225-342-7015.

President Donald Trump: whitehouse.gov/contact/

ADDED: To be clear, and realistic, it's unlikely that Landrieu could remove all four monuments in one night. His approach will likely be the Jefferson Davis monument and Liberty Place first. And remember, these are still rumors; strong rumors, but the last round of strongly supported rumors of removal last week were true. It is still critical that you contact officials for support to stop this before the monuments are in fact gone.

Previous Posts at DaTechGuy blog:
    Mayor Landrieu's Plans to Remove Monuments in the Dead of Night Exposed (4/17/2017)
    The Slippery Slope is Now Open (3/27/17)
    A Disappointing Ruling from the 5th Circuit (3/13/17)
    Still Fighting the Civil War (2/5/17)
    Mayor Mitch Landrieu's Solution to 172 Murders: Equity Circles (12/26/16)
    Removal of Historic Confederate Monuments in New Orleans Thwarted -- For Now (12/21/2015)
    Report from Louisiana: Update on the Confederate Monument Removal Controversy (1/18/2016)
    The Lives of My Ancestors Mattered Too (2/1/2016)
    The Ongoing Battle of the Confederate Monuments: An Update (4/18/2016)
    Confederate Monuments and Unintended Consequences (6/27/16)
    Report from Louisiana: Revisionist History and Confederate Monuments (9/19/2016)
    Report from Louisiana: Mass Shooting in New Orleans While Landrieu Fiddles (11/28/2016)

Previous Posts on This Blog:
    The Confederate Battle Flag Rises Again in South Carolina (2/6/17)
    Can the Violence in NOLA be Alleviated with Equity Circles? (12/26/16)
    Shreveport Work of Art Still Needs Funding for Restoration (10/22/16)
    Can You Help Clio? Restoration Fundraiser is Now Underway (9/5/16)
    Epperson Demands UDC Remove Confederate Monument Within the Year (7/6/16)
    Epperson's Continued Attack on the Confederate Monument (6/22/16)
    Report from the Caddo Commission Meeting in Which Ken Epperson Blasts "Jake-Leg Bloggers" (6/9/16)
    Caddo Parish Confederate Monument Under Attack (5/19/16)
    Joseph Welsh Texada's Life Mattered Too (1/31/16)
    The Heartbreaking Removal of the New Orleans Confederate Monuments (1/17/16)
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

How is a Confederate monument "offensive"? And, to whom is it "offensive"?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    How is a Confederate monument "offensive"? And, to whom is it "offensive"?
    Really, is this a rhetorical question? One word . . . Blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post

actually white sjw's are behind almost everything.

some rich guy needs to by them all and put them in his lawn.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I have room for a few of them, and I live in the sticks. Btw, have any of you ever seen the Jeff Davis memorial in Fairview Ky? It is amazing.

How dare they desecrate a memorial to my dear great great great uncle, Jeff Davis.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

"Davis was a U.S. Representative, a Senator, and a Secretary of War before he dumped the USA."
    http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9061

"I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."
    Jeff Davis
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Saw some live streams on 4chan last night where people were standing there with their phones recording it. So it looks like they got one. Not sure which one. Apparently antifa was there waiving their flag as well. Too bad it didn't turn into another battle royal.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Blacks are a minority in this country. It's also white communists led by people who look white but aren't.

If they bring this war upon us, there is one thing that I will tell you- that I shall not shoot any negroes as long as I can see a white radical to shoot, for it is the Radicals who will be to blame for bringing on this war.”

Nathan Bedford Forrest
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Let's follow all this crap to it's intended conclusion: to erase the Confederacy from all history books and history.

Now, IF the Confederacy is erased, that erases the Civil War.

IF the Civil War is erased, then that erases one of the reasons the Civil War was fought, slavery.

IF slavery is erased, then blacks were never slaves. That makes them immigrants.

IF they are immigrants, then they have to give up their idea of reparations.

IF they were never slaves, then they have no one to blame but themselves for their "second class" standing (in their eyes).

IF they can only blame themselves, then they have no one to protest or riot against, except themselves.

They'd better be careful what they hope to accomplish......
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

first off, i dont what the big deal is. they were beaten. they took up arms against their brother and lost. i didnt see anyone crying when sadams statue was toppled in iraq.

as an extension of that, i dont see why a state would have allocated taxpayer funds to erect a monument to a conquered enemy in the first place. or why such a monument would be placed on public lands.

and finally, since they were paid for with tax dollars, and since so many there want to keep the tradition of owning blacks alive, they should have auctioned them off and sold them to someone to put in their yard to recoup some of the taxpayers money instead of destroying them.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Let's follow all this crap to it's intended conclusion: to erase the Confederacy from all history books and history.

Now, IF the Confederacy is erased, that erases the Civil War.

IF the Civil War is erased, then that erases one of the reasons the Civil War was fought, slavery.

IF slavery is erased, then blacks were never slaves. That makes them immigrants.

IF they are immigrants, then they have to give up their idea of reparations.

IF they were never slaves, then they have no one to blame but themselves for their "second class" standing (in their eyes).

IF they can only blame themselves, then they have no one to protest or riot against, except themselves.

They'd better be careful what they hope to accomplish......

The War of Northern Aggression was not fought over slavery. It was just the beginning of the federal government imposing their will on others, and they're doing it 'til this day.

All I have to say is "fuck 'em".

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    The War of Northern Aggression was not fought over slavery. It was just the beginning of the federal government imposing their will on others, and they're doing it 'til this day.
    I know it wasn't fought over slavery, but it was the rallying call the North used to gain recruits. A lot of abolishionists rose up to help foster the issue of eliminating slavery.

The reason they used slavery was that most of the northern people didn't care about the South leaving the Union and sure as hell, weren't going to risk their lives for that. So, the Northern leaders came up with the idea of fighting to abolish slavery. This became the emotional rallying issue that many people bought into and they enlisted.

Even Lincoln wasn't crazy about freeing the slaves, but when he saw that abolishing slavery was an issue that would get people to join in the fight,he went along with it.

For most of the Northern soldiers, slavery was the issue they were fighting for, nothing else.

Southern soldiers were fighting for states rights over Federal rights, not slavery. Slavery was on its way out anyway. It was getting cheaper to buy and use mechanized farm equipment than it was to keep slaves.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

There are some quotes by Lincoln that he had a dim view of blacks in general. In contrast, Robert E Lee freed his slaves and made sure they were educated and knew who Jesus was.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    actually white sjw's are behind almost everything.
    Actually very true. 99% of the libtard stupidity is run by White SJW liberals. Blacks may riot, but they don't really push anything politically or otherwise. That takes white liberals who are actually IN positions of power to enable it.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Most were paid for by private funds ie "erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy" and such.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    first off, i dont what the big deal is. they were beaten. they took up arms against their brother and lost. i didnt see anyone crying when sadams statue was toppled in iraq.

as an extension of that, i dont see why a state would have allocated taxpayer funds to erect a monument to a conquered enemy in the first place. or why such a monument would be placed on public lands.

and finally, since they were paid for with tax dollars, and since so many there want to keep the tradition of owning blacks alive, they should have auctioned them off and sold them to someone to put in their yard to recoup some of the taxpayers money instead of destroying them.

It matters because this amounts to "revisionist history".
    We have heard in so many ways the "victors" write the history but the U.S. has (to the best of my knowledge) not tried to obliterate history the way the PC libs are trying to do now. Sure, there have been government programs that have taken advantage of minority populations (American Indians, blacks, Asiatics, Irish/Scots, Italians, etc.) at various times in this country's past. But the U.S. has never made a concerted effort to alter or hide our past. Bad as it may have been, we acknowledge the Civil War, the Cherokee "Trail of Tears", the Spanish-American war, Japanese internment, etc., and try to do better.
    And we must keep trying but human memory is short. Without memorabilia of all sorts to remind successive generations, those sad and shameful days will be repeated.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    It matters because this amounts to "revisionist history".
    We have heard in so many ways the "victors" write the history but the U.S. has (to the best of my knowledge) not tried to obliterate history the way the PC libs are trying to do now. Sure, there have been government programs that have taken advantage of minority populations (American Indians, blacks, Asiatics, Irish/Scots, Italians, etc.) at various times in this country's past. But the U.S. has never made a concerted effort to alter or hide our past. Bad as it may have been, we acknowledge the Civil War, the Cherokee "Trail of Tears", the Spanish-American war, Japanese internment, etc., and try to do better.
    And we must keep trying but human memory is short. Without memorabilia of all sorts to remind successive generations, those sad and shameful days will be repeated.
    Eloquent and spot on.

Freedom isn't free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast