Thread: Ruger American .45

Ruger American .45

Anyone here have any thoughts on the Ruger American .45 handgun? I am thinking about getting one of these. Mainly because I want a full size, not too expensive, .45 for knocking down metal targets at the range. Not for carry. I have shot my aluminum frame Kimber 1911 (a gun I do carry in the Winter) to the point of seeing slight feed ramp wear and may retire the gun from target shooting. I am not concerned about reset or how the gun looks - just hitting what I am shooting at and reliability.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I don't like the American. It seems like another "me too" design from Ruger. The Ruger SR series is lighter and thinner if I recall, in case you're brand loyal. Otherwise I might look at a Glock, Smith, Springfield, Walther, or FN.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

No experience with the Ruger offering but for a range gun I'd look at either a Rock Island or a Taurus.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    No experience with the Ruger offering but for a range gun I'd look at either a Rock Island or a Taurus.

Thanks for the tip about Rock Island. It looks like I can get a basic 1911 with an ambi safety (I am left handed) for $500. I checking out a review that said they make a decent basic gun. I have a local dealer so I think I will check with him on ordering a gun. If I can get a good range gun for $500 and retire my Kimber to use as a carry gun I will be a happy mofo. I love .45 ACP and I love the 1911. The problem for me is guns with an ambi safety typically run over $1000.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

One of my coworkers has three RIA, two 9x19 and a 10mm. He's very happy with all three though he would like to see a little better finish on them. For the money he thinks they are a great value.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Looks like a Canik.

Gheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I have to say I looked at a Ruger American 9mm in a store today and the ergonomics (such as could be determined by holding it) seem pretty damn good. Larger than my Glock 26, but in comparison the Glock 26 seems brick like.