Thread: Mossberg Shock Wave.

Cool El Duce.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    I saw on a different forum where the shotshells were being discussed. I haven't really thought about it. I have heard that they are more expensive. So I am not sure of the advantage.
    I guess you get reduced recoil and in this application maybe one extra round capacity.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I picked it up today. Neat little firearm. Can't wait to shoot it. It's a little stiff, but probably just needs to be worked a bit. My 15 year old son thinks that it is pretty darn cool. I kind of do as well. It is growing on me.

Good deal and congrats. Any chance of a pic or two?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The Shockwave is basically Mossberg's version of the US Marshal Witness Protection Remington 870.
    The grips appear to be the same design.

Like the Witness Protection, a very smart move would be to install some sort of hand stop if you don't want to use the hand strap.

It looks like the Shockwave is using the 590 series Remington-type magazine tube, which is also a smart move on Mossberg's part.

And in late news, having had Mossberg rip off Remington's Witness Protection 870, Remington is ripping off Mossberg's Shockwave.
    Remington has announced the new "Tac 14" which is a Witness Protection gun with a different front hand guard.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 04-27-2017 at 08:46 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Congrats on getting it! As cool as that looks, it sure also looks like it could be very painful to shoot. Looking forward to a range report.

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    The Shockwave is basically Mossberg's version of the US Marshal Witness Protection Remington 870.
    The grips appear to be the same design.

Like the Witness Protection, a very smart move would be to install some sort of hand stop if you don't want to use the hand strap.

It looks like the Shockwave is using the 590 series Remington-type magazine tube, which is also a smart move on Mossberg's part.

And in late news, having had Mossberg rip off Remington's Witness Protection 870, Remington is ripping off Mossberg's Shockwave.
    Remington has announced the new "Tac 14" which is a Witness Protection gun with a different front hand guard.
    Thanks for the info. Found this plus it's on Remington's website.
    http://www.guns.com/2017/04/27/remin...needed-photos/

I favor the 870 over the Mossberg but not sure I care for the forearm on the "Tac 14"?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Watched this Hicock45 video and he was hitting the 100 yd gong with reduced recoil slugs. First two shots looked like they were actually high. Figured it would be low

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CxECBq-f68s

In the video he's has three SW. One standard and one each that he and his son own. On his it looks like he added skateboard tape to the grip like folks put on the Glocks and other pistols. He named the product but I'm not familiar with it and didn't write it down. Saw a post on another forum where the SW owner put a piece of bicycle inner tube on the grip. Hicock45 also taped the screws/rivets that hold the forearm strap in place. Apparently he found that they rubbed his hand. His son just removed the strap.

I'm thinking the strap is a must have to keep your hand from slipping off the forearm and in front of the muzzle. Not as big a chance as it would be with say a Sebu Super Shorty but more likely than with an 18" bbl. With that in mind I'm rethinking my initial impression on the forearm design of the Remington Tac 14. Mostly as it should help to keep your hand on the forearm without the snag hazard I can see the strap on the SW presenting.

I realize it's not terribly likely but I could see pulling the SW out from under your truck seat, bureau drawer, etc., and snagging it on something. IMO you need some kind of retaining system for your off hand and the Remington design might be the better of the two.

I recall my Beretta 1200FP had a tab that fit under the mag tube cap with a sling slot. Something like that with just a tab on the bottom might work as well. I could even be polymer instead of metal.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-28-2017 at 09:51 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    Mine is a 12.5"barrel and with #6 birdshot the pattern is huge.

I once shot one of those flechett rds at a 6x6 ft cardboard target and only found one mark in the target (shooting at about 20 ft). I never found where any of them went.

BISHOP
    Illinois is like Kalifornia in many ways. They already ban those "special" shells like your fletchettes, the "bolo balls", the "dragonfire", etc.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I think I want one...

We shot it yesterday. Very fun! Very manageable with bird shot. We did shoot 2 3/4 inch buck shot through it. I loaded a 3" shell with a 1 oz slug. I tried to shoot it extended, and THOUGHT that I had a tight grip on it...Well, I shot (It was the only shell in the gun) it abruptly left my hands. Flipped in the air, and I caught it before it hit the gravel. Embarrassing to say the least. But, I made up for it.

We put about 40 various loads through it. I think that it would be a great home defense gun. Thank fully the strap is on there. I could see it being dangerous. Rapid fire and you could lose control of it. For me. I wouldn't shoot 3" shells in it. Maybe from the hip where you could brace it. My son didn't have a problem with it, but he is a bit larger than I. Fun toy for sure. My son was all grins shooting it. Pictures maybe next time.

Sounds like you had fun. Thanks for the report/update.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Glad you had fun. Toy?

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Glad you had fun. Toy?

Toy...? Home defense? For sure. My buddy at the range (FFL) has one inbound for himself. He has a farm, and said that he intends to use his for pest control. Skunk, possum, etc. I really would like to try some different loads and pattern it on paper. This would be a great truck gun for sure. I just don't think that I will be shooting magnum loads out of it.

er than I. Fun toy for sure.......Your quote post 31.

It is no toy.

be the heat..

i get to try one out tomorrow, i'm wearing good leather gloves though.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

shot about 25 rounds of #8 shot and 10 rounds of 00 buck .

not too bad, wish the bird head grip was squishy like a hogue grip cause it's slippery.
    gloves made it worse.

I think since they've done this ruling I'll buy a Auto-5 clone receiver 'in the white' and build it up as a "whippet gun" .

shooting one handed not bad, with buck shot the recoil sends the forearm back and kicks out the empty. nothing i'd want to make a habit of.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

shot about 25 rounds of #8 shot and 10 rounds of 00 buck .

not too bad, wish the bird head grip was squishy like a hogue grip cause it's slippery.
    gloves made it worse.

I think since they've done this ruling I'll buy a Auto-5 clone receiver 'in the white' and build it up as a "whippet gun" .

shooting one handed not bad, with buck shot the recoil sends the forearm back and kicks out the empty. nothing i'd want to make a habit of.
    Thanks for the report. I like the whippet idea. I'd also like a cutdown BAR to go with, Clyde's other favorite.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

IMHO. the $360ish the owner paid for it today would land me another 1 or 2 Milsurps i don't have yet. Cool ,but im not for beatings anymore.

I was going to do a chopped down BAR but, I think Im going to get on the list for the FG-42 Type 1.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    IMHO. the $360ish the owner paid for it today would land me another 1 or 2 Milsurps i don't have yet. Cool ,but im not for beatings anymore.

I was going to do a chopped down BAR but, I think Im going to get on the list for the FG-42 Type 1.
    I have to say that on my left hand, my pointer and middle finger hurt for two days. I really like this gun. Though, I am going to be careful what gets shot out of it. Need to spend some more time with it though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast