Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G.I. Style 1911-A1?

G.I. Style 1911-A1?

Any info on the Turkish made Regent? I used to own a Norinco that I loved dearly...fed all ammo flawlessly. So I know a gun doesn't have to be expensive to work right. Pretty is not needed, Flash is not wanted (I despise the race-gun look), but Reliabilty is mandatory.

Auto-Ordnance used to make a nice GI look-alike, Springfields sights seem a little tall...but I've been out of the gun game for so long I'm having to play catch-up.

Thanks for any helpful replies.

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

I've got a couple of the old AO's...sn under 10K. Have never had a burp with them.
    Dan

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

The Regent R100 is sold by IAC Imports but actually made by the Trabzon Gun Industry Corp. in Turkey. It seems very comparable to the Armscor/RIA 1911 pistols. The Regent has a cast frame as do most inexpensive 1911 pistols. If you're just wanting a basic 1911 the Regent might just work for you. Just my $0.02.

http://www.iacshotguns.com/1911a1.html

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by john law View Post
    Any info on the Turkish made Regent? I used to own a Norinco that I loved dearly...fed all ammo flawlessly. So I know a gun doesn't have to be expensive to work right. Pretty is not needed, Flash is not wanted (I despise the race-gun look), but Reliabilty is mandatory.

Auto-Ordnance used to make a nice GI look-alike, Springfields sights seem a little tall...but I've been out of the gun game for so long I'm having to play catch-up.

Thanks for any helpful replies.
    I have a Springfield Armory "GI 45" and mine works flawlessly with ball ammo and hollow points with a "round nose" contour (like Speed Gold Dots and Federal Hydrashocks).

The slide and frame are forged, not cast.

I did replace a few things on mine.... mostly for looks. The mainspring housing I replaced with a flat one (because I prefer the flat type AND it gets rid of the stupid "Integrated Locking System" lock). The hammer, grip safety and slide stop are replaced with original M1911 (not A1) new-old stock (armory replacement parts). I had a 1911 long trigger in it, but I decided to put a 1911A1 trigger back into it (although it's a NOS part, not the original). The grips had the hideous "US" thing carved into them... I replaced those with wood double-diamond grips, then replaced those with original USGI plastic grips from a 1911A1 (also part of my NOS stock).

If you want a really nice 1911 that's built well and shoots flawlessly, think about a Springfield Armory pistol.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Remington has one out now but from what I recall reading (and the one I handled) it's not 100% GI. I know it has a lowered ejection port...
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by awp101 View Post
    Remington has one out now but from what I recall reading (and the one I handled) it's not 100% GI. I know it has a lowered ejection port...
    The Remington R1 is a Series 80 1911A1 pistol.

http://www.1911r1.com/pages/FAQs.aspx

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Thanks guys. I may just spend a good portion of my next on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    The Remington R1 is a Series 80 1911A1 pistol.

http://www.1911r1.com/pages/FAQs.aspx

Steve
    Thanks, I thought it might be a Series 80 but couldn't remember for sure. I also couldn't think of what Remington might call it since "Series 80" is a Colt thing...
    I aim to misbehave...

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. - Mark Twain

I NEED A YUGO GAS TUBE AND LOWER HG FERRULE PLEASE!

"Fair" is a place they give ribbons to pigs

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. - Napoleon Bonaparte

C'thulhu '12! Why settle for the lesser evil?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

I'd also toss in Para Ordnance into the mix. They have three different GI style 1911s and from what I've read so far they're good deals for the price.

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_searchBasic.php
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    I have a Springfield Armory "GI 45" and mine works flawlessly with ball ammo and hollow points with a "round nose" contour (like Speed Gold Dots and Federal Hydrashocks).

The slide and frame are forged, not cast.

I did replace a few things on mine.... mostly for looks. The mainspring housing I replaced with a flat one (because I prefer the flat type AND it gets rid of the stupid "Integrated Locking System" lock). The hammer, grip safety and slide stop are replaced with original M1911 (not A1) new-old stock (armory replacement parts). I had a 1911 long trigger in it, but I decided to put a 1911A1 trigger back into it (although it's a NOS part, not the original). The grips had the hideous "US" thing carved into them... I replaced those with wood double-diamond grips, then replaced those with original USGI plastic grips from a 1911A1 (also part of my NOS stock).

If you want a really nice 1911 that's built well and shoots flawlessly, think about a Springfield Armory pistol.
    Nice pistol. Did you replace the hamer to get the wide spur one or did that come on your springfield?

I am not familier with the regent. Though it looks like a decent psitol from the picture some one posted of it.

I think about the closest you will find to an old GI M1911A1 currently is the springfield one, or the auto ordanance one.

I have one of the springfields. It has been a good gun with out any troubles. Just replace the horible looking grips. I replaced mine with some of the GI plastic ones which you can still get real cheap. I would like to replace the hammer one day with a wide spur hammer. It is fairly close to GI other than those two things. There are a few other differences but they are minior.

The next best bet is the auto ordanace. They keep getting closer and closer the GI as the years go buy. I am thinking about getting one myself. I have a friend who has one and he likes his and hasn't had trouble with it.

If you want a older orginal style GI 1911 cold is making a replica of theirs. I forget what they are calling it the 1918 or black model or something or other. It comes real close to the orginal 1911's. I would be half tempted to get one but I really like the A1's much better. I keep hoping that colt will make a real good M1911A1 replica.

They made a limited run of them several years ago but I couldn't aford one at the time.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

I bought a used Springfield "Milspec" 1911A1 (Not the GI) version about 10 years ago. The port is widened, it has the lock in the MSH and sights are taller, but mostly like the GI for looks and function. The slide is black and the frame is O.D. It has a Mushy trigger, but I knew it wasn't a race gun when I got it. I'd rather have something a little looser that won't jam on me.

It eats everything I reload, from LSWC's to ball to HP's with no problems. Not sure how it will work with factory ammo. Just can't bring myself to pay so much when my reloads work well and cost a fraction.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 Crash's Avatar

I bought an old RIA 1911 from a gun range that used it for a rental for $185 total. I thought it would be a good candidate to mess with but instead just added new springs. I really like it and I have 3 Colt 1911's as well. Hard to beat a good 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Nice pistol. Did you replace the hamer to get the wide spur one or did that come on your springfield?
    Yes, I replaced the hammer, slide stop, safety and grips with "old-new stock" armory replacement parts. The first 3 parts (the metal parts) are from a 1911, not a 1911A1. The grips are from a 1911A1 and the flat mainspring housing with lanyard loop I bought from Brownells.

I used to also have a long 1911 trigger in it too, but I replaced it with a 1911A1 trigger. I like the feel of the shorter trigger better. The grip safety is the same one that came with the Springer... I didn't want to replace it with a 1911 part because (1) of hammer bite and (2) the bluing color didn't match.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    I bought an old RIA 1911 from a gun range that used it for a rental for $185 total. I thought it would be a good candidate to mess with but instead just added new springs. I really like it and I have 3 Colt 1911's as well. Hard to beat a good 45.
    Agreed completely!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Yes, I replaced the hammer, slide stop, safety and grips with "old-new stock" armory replacement parts. The first 3 parts (the metal parts) are from a 1911, not a 1911A1. The grips are from a 1911A1 and the flat mainspring housing with lanyard loop I bought from Brownells.

I used to also have a long 1911 trigger in it too, but I replaced it with a 1911A1 trigger. I like the feel of the shorter trigger better. The grip safety is the same one that came with the Springer... I didn't want to replace it with a 1911 part because (1) of hammer bite and (2) the bluing color didn't match.
    Thanks. I wondered I like the wide spur hammers better. I also like the short trigers, one of the reason I like the A1 better than the older 1911s. I like the arch mainspring housings better myself. I do have a friend though who is looking for a flat main spring houseing that has a lanyard loops so good to know where to get one. now I can point him in the right direction.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Krup and Penguin,
    I can't believe you guys don't like the grips on your GI issue. That is one of my favorite parts on my GI issue.

The only thing I don't like about the GI is the sights. I have trouble seeing them, especially if I am shooting in overcast type light. I tried painting the front sight white to give it some contrast, but after the first couple of shots it is covered with gunpowder residue and is black again.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the GI is the sights. I have trouble seeing them, especially if I am shooting in overcast type light. I tried painting the front sight white to give it some contrast, but after the first couple of shots it is covered with gunpowder residue and is black again.
    You might try taking a file to the rear sight and opening it up a bit so you have some light on both sides of the front sight when it is lined up. Obviously go real slow and check as you go as it is easier to file more than fill it in later if you file to much.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    I have a few WWII 1911-A1s and I agree they are quite hard to beat.

About all I do with the shooters is swap the spring.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    I have a few WWII 1911-A1s and I agree they are quite hard to beat.

About all I do with the shooters is swap the spring.

HDR, are you using the original mags for the most part.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

"The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast