Thread: American Tactical Imports?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Question American Tactical Imports?

Does anyone here know anything about ATI 1911's? How would you rate their quality and reliability?

I've never had a 1911 before and have the chance to buy a new one for $500. I've always wanted one and swore that if I could ever found one for around $500, I'd buy it. I found one. Yahoo!

However, I know nothing of ATI and was wondering how well-built they are. Since my state doesn't allow its subjects to carry concealed, I'll use it for occasional plinking/target and home defense. It won't be fired a whole lot.

I don't want to spend money on something that isn't going to stand up over time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Don't have one but from what I have heard on the Indiana gun owners site everyone that has it loves it. One store has been doing a torture test of one, and last I saw had over 7000 rounds through it.

Oh, and here they are closer to $300!!!!

Trying to find a link.

Oh, you do know that they are .22LR????

Don't know if you can access this without being a member but try anyway.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...cy_report.html

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Don't have one but from what I have heard on the Indiana gun owners site everyone that has it loves it. One store has been doing a torture test of one, and last I saw had over 7000 rounds through it.

Oh, and here they are closer to $300!!!!

Trying to find a link.

Oh, you do know that they are .22LR????
    The one in the store was .45 Auto (GI model).

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/D...&zipcode=21863

Glad to hear they are of fairly good quality.

Now, all I have to do is jump through all the hoops the state mandates and I'll have it in about 2 weeks, if I decide to go with it.
    Last edited by alismith; 10-23-2010 at 10:09 PM.

I know that after they imported the German Sports GSG-5 in .22LR they then did a full copy of the HK94/MP5 and did the same rifle in 9mm. They had very good quality and have had very good customer relations.

Took a look at those .45s, NICE!!! Was able to make out that one was made in Germany. Nice to see them doing both full power versions along with .22LR plinkers.

I have a GSG-5 imported by ATI and have put several thousand flawless rounds through it. I would expect them to maintain the high level of quality on all their imports since they are trying hard to make a good foothold in the land of "shall not be infringed".

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

alismith, my guess is you're referring to the FX45 Series 1911 pistols from ATI. These pistol are actually made by Shooter Arms Manufacturing Inc. located in Cebu, the Philippines. Shooter Arms Manufacturing has been around since 1992. Previously Shooter Arms Manufacturing firearms have been imported by Century International Arms, located in Delray Beach, FL and Pacific Arms Corp. in Modesto, CA. Their main competitor is Armscor/Rock Island also located in the Philippines. In recent years these guns have been found to be excellent shooters. Hope you enjoy yours.

http://dealer.americantactical.us/products/

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate your info and help.

I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and going to pay him for it Tuesday and fill out all the paperwork crap so I can get it some time the following week, hopefully. Dealer said it usually takes about 10 days (it used to be 21 days, minimum) to get the paperwork back. I'll post a pic of it after I get it.

I can't wait to get it. It felt really good in my hand when I checked it out. I hope it shoots as well as it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I know that after they imported the German Sports GSG-5 in .22LR they then did a full copy of the HK94/MP5 and did the same rifle in 9mm. They had very good quality and have had very good customer relations.

Took a look at those .45s, NICE!!! Was able to make out that one was made in Germany. Nice to see them doing both full power versions along with .22LR plinkers.

I have a GSG-5 imported by ATI and have put several thousand flawless rounds through it. I would expect them to maintain the high level of quality on all their imports since they are trying hard to make a good foothold in the land of "shall not be infringed".
    I bought a 1st Year Anniversary Titanium model GSG-5 on Wednesday.
    After I shot it on Friday I took it home to clean it. I sprayed Gun Scrubber in the action, like I've done for years with every gun I own, and watched as the "titanium" finish melted off.
    After I composed myself enough to be coherent I called ATI and expressed my EXTREME displeasure over the situation.
    They said that "some" of the GSG-5's were shipped without the warning to avoid using solvent cleaners since the finish would be damaged by them.
    I thanked the rep for the companies thoroughness in insuring that a copy of the warning was in every box. (Dripping sarcasm here)
    He told me to ship the damaged rifle back and they would return it to new condition at no cost to me.
    I went to Dunhams sports, where I had purchased the rifle, and when they checked their remaining stock of GSG-5's they found that less than half of the remaining nine had the warning in the box.
    ATI is currently on my "Shit List" and will remain there until I'm satisfied that they have taken care of the issue.
    "By oft repeating an untruth, men come to believe it themselves."
    Thomas Jefferson to John Melish, 1813

I went to the dealer tonight and filled out the paperwork for my .45.

Four and one half pages of paperwork! Damn. I had my DL and State Police Handgun Training Course certificate as proof that I am allowed to own it.

Now, it's about a 10 day wait for the paperwork to come back (the last handgun I bought took 21 days for the paperwork to return).

I envy you guys who can walk out the same day with your handguns.

Still, I can't wait to finally lay my grubby hands on it and caress its contours...oooooooooo, the stuff of dreams. I'll finally own a Colt style .45 auto.

I really prefer revolvers, but I've always loved the looks and feel of a .45 auto. For some reason it just seems like the whole universe came together in one place. Browning was a genius.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

You're doomed, one is never enough. I bought my first 1911 in 1999 and now i own,um well, a lot more than one There's just something mystical about them

Where do you live that makes you wait so long?

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    You're doomed, one is never enough. I bought my first 1911 in 1999 and now i own,um well, a lot more than one There's just something mystical about them

Where do you live that makes you wait so long?
    Maryland. "The Free State."

Some of our laws:

All handguns that can be sold in the state must be approved by "The Handgun Board"

No magazine, holding more than 20 rounds, can be sold in the state

All persons purchasing a handgun must take and pass a State Police Handgun Training Course before purchasing a handgun

All controlled weapons (all handguns [excluding BP firearms] and any of a list of about 300 rifles, pistols, and shotguns being designed and able to hold more than 20 rounds of ammo) are to be treated the same as handguns

All handguns and controlled weapons cannot be delivered to the purchaser prior to a background check by the State Police (anywhere from 7-21 days, but not shorter than 7 days. (The average is 10 days now.)

Any private sale, or purchase, of a controlled weapon, or handgun, must go through the State Police and all state and federal forms must be completed.

No handgun, or controlled weapon, can be passed on as inheritance to a person's offspring without going through the State Police. They have to power to deny the passing down of the firearm and can destroy it if they desire.

No one, other than a police officer, or member of the judiciary, or bank employee will be allowed to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon (and the bank employee's permit is limited to 2 weeks).

No one can transport a controlled weapon, or handgun, unless it is to a certified gun dealer, shooting range, or for hunting purposes, or on your own land.

While all BP firearms are not under any state or federal restrictions, all centerfire firearms are rigidly controlled.
    Last edited by alismith; 10-26-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post

Some of our laws:

All handguns that can be sold in the state must be approved by "The Handgun Board"

All persons purchasing a handgun must take and pass a State Police Handgun Training Course before purchasing a handgun

All controlled weapons (all handguns [excluding BP firearms] and any of a list of about 300 rifles, pistols, and shotguns being designed and able to hold more than 20 rounds of ammo) are to be treated the same as handguns

All handguns and controlled weapons cannot be delivered to the purchaser prior to a background check by the State Police (anywhere from 7-21 days, but not shorter than 7 days. (The average is 10 days now.)

Any private sale, or purchase, of a controlled weapon, or handgun, must go through the State Police and all state and federal forms must be completed.

No handgun, or controlled weapon, can be passed on as inheritance to a person's offspring without going through the State Police. They have to power to deny the passing down of the firearm and can destroy it if they desire.

No one, other than a police officer, or member of the judiciary, or bank employee will be allowed to obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon (and the bank employee's permit is limited to 2 weeks).

No one can transport a controlled weapon, or handgun, unless it is to a certified gun dealer, shooting range, or for hunting purposes, or on your own land.

While all BP firearms are not under any state or federal restrictions, all centerfire firearms are rigidly controlled.
    Wow, and I thought I have it bad here in People's Republik of Illinois.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Some of our laws:

Damn,i guess we really have it good here in Arizona, we don't even need a permit to carry concealed. I've never had to wait longer than it takes to ring up the sale and pay the dealer, but hey, the good news is you got your gun, congrats!

No shit. He just got whacked with a sickness like no other. The 1911 thing gets bad quick. Damn it I want another one just talking about em, they're worse than AK's.

Oh, that "Something Mystical" about them? It's called WOOD. You just have to learn to lean a little different when shooting a 1911.

Some of our laws:

Dude, move to America, it's awesome here. The Freedom smells so good here you can taste it.

Damn,i guess we really have it good here in Arizona, we don't even need a permit to carry concealed. I've never had to wait longer than it takes to ring up the sale and pay the dealer, but hey, the good news is you got your gun, congrats!
    It's awesome huh?
    We live in one of that few remaining chunks of what is left of America. Got to love it.

Living in Colorado, we have to do the background check through CBI but it's worth the background check where I can walk out of the local shop same day. sometimes be done within about an hour. I've got two 1911's looking at buying a 3rd. I've looked at the Commander 4.25 inch from ATI, fit and finish looks pretty good for the 500 my local gunshop wants.

As far as CCW, we have to pay 150 for the background check, (split between the county and state) the county you live in CAN and has been known to take the full 90 days to get back to you. This is despite being a "shall issue" state. All depending on the politics of the local sheriff. I figure with our previous administrations here in CO being so unfriendly to CCW that they try and gouge you anyway they can. Despite the above, police, sheriffs are mostly firearms friendly. I've had more than a couple actually say to me, "you should have a CCW, everyone should" And with recient events in AZ, I can see why.