Thread: Watched the old Red Dawn again!(1984)

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Watched the old Red Dawn again!(1984)

John Milnus well done 1984 Movie Red Dawn I had first seen it in the Ray Barracks theater in Friedberg Germany, when I was in HHC 1/32nd Armor, back in February, 1985 when it had finally made it overseas. I had wanted to see it again, as I remembered the scene in the End when the Dying Patrick Swazie was carrying his dead Brother away. They had just wiped out most of the Russian garrison at the end of the Movie. The scene I recall is at 205 where Ron O'Neil who we recall from the 1972 Movie Superfly. He played the Cuban Colonel in the Movie. He was the only likable Enemy Soldier in the Film. I have always like the scene where he lets Swazie go, after seeing that haunting look on his face. He lowered his AKM and waved him on. one of the best scenes of the Film. As you may know, the T-72 Tanks were really M-41 Light Tanks. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Sorry about the Junk at the end. I still wonder Why Swazie was fanning a Double Action Revolver?
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

I have the copy on DVD, that's one of the best action movies from the 1980's. I think I read somewhere that an official from Gun Owners of America worked with the producers, and inspired the scene where the Russian commander tells one of his officers to go to the gun stores and pull up the form 4473's. Great movie!

Last edited by Justin; 04-27-2017 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Sorry about the Junk at the end. I still wonder Why Swazie was fanning a Double Action Revolver?

its not a DA revolver, looks like a blackhawk.

one of the very few movies to use a jatimatic too.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

So many good elements to that movie. I love when the Russian reads out loud the historical marker to the other soldiers. Amd Jennifer Gray is too cute for words.

As you may know, the T-72 Tanks were really M-41 Light Tanks.
    Loved that film. John Milius was on of the few Directors who tried to make his vehicles and aircraft at least LOOK right. I loved the totally FAKE Yak-36 Forgers VTOL fighters that the "wolverines' blew up with anti tank grenades while the pilots were trying to take off! LOL!

Sorry dude, but the T72s weren't M41s. I visited Veluzat in Newhall when they were filming Red Dawn. My buddy was one of the tank 'builders' there. All of the fake armor - from the ZSU-23, to the fake Abrahms to the Fake T72s were built on American M8A1 Cargo Tractors.

My mistake. The Wheels looked the same. Paul

My mistake. The Wheels looked the same. Paul
    M41 = 5 main bogey wheels

M8A1 Cargo Tractor = 6 Main Bogey Wheels

The Red Dawn T72 Mockeups = 6 Main Bogey Wheels

Back in the early 80s the M8A1s were cheap because no one wanted them. If only I picked up one or two back in the day.

The producer went to dod and asked them what they were wargaming as far as invasions of the US go. The movie was the result of dod input as to most likely scenario. Stanislav Lunev (GRU defektor) said Russian nukes and Chinese manpower is the plan, more or less confirming the Red Dawn scenario. Maybe they'll let NK do their dirty work and get the war started, then while we are at war with NK, Russian nukes will decapitate our "leadership" and Chinese troops will invade. I assume Russia wants Alaska back, even though we bought it from them fair and square.

Wolverines!
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Here's a pretty cool video that describes how they got their vehicles. Interesting stuff.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I watched "The Arrival" tonight with waifu and it is a really good movie.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    I watched "The Arrival" tonight with waifu and it is a really good movie.
    Much better than "The Arrival II", though the sequel tried to make up for less money with a lot more female full frontal nudity though...

One of my favorite old time movies.
    Love the Basil Polidoris Soundtrack,
    BTW, the Bolt Action Jed(Patrick Swayze) was using
    is a Ruger M77, I found out by co-incidence, after I got one.

I also have the new RD, it's good, but just not the same thing.

That was a cool little video you posted.
    I never knew they ACTUALLY built those tanks. I thought they were just using look alikes with little modifications to alter the looks.

BISHOP