Thread: Anyone a fan of .38 Super?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Anyone a fan of .38 Super?

IIRC El Duce has or had a pistol or two in this caliber but don't recall if he ever posted a range report. Was reading an article in the latest AR about the shootout the FBI had with Baby Face Nelson back in the 30's and it seemed a fairly popular round on both sides of the law for folks wanting more penetration than that provided by other rounds. IIRC this was in 1934 and the .357 mag was still a year away.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Thought about it for a while then said no. Funny how some chamberings just never get popular but never quite fade away all together.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Yeah, it kind of faded into obscurity during WWII except for countries like Mexico where you can't own a military issue caliber then it kind of made a comeback when people started competing and needed a caliber that would make "major" but offer more capacity. Not sure how long that lasted

The 10mm is similar though it was never really all that popular it has ebbed and waned over the years and seems to be back on the upswing again. The .32 H&R mag is another one. It gained some popularity but nothing major then the .327 mag popped up but that too seems to have gone by the wayside as well.

I wouldn't mind a 1911 in .38 Super just to have. Kind of like the .30 Luger. Almost bought a BHP in that caliber awhile back just because I hadn't run across one before.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I think Colt made a .38 super in the 1911 Government model back in the early 1970's. That's when I was considering one. Went with .45 ACP instead. http://www.gunbroker.com/Colt-38-Sup...=Colt+38+Super

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I believe the only reason .38 super made it out of the 30's is because South America and a few other countries ban military ammunition for civilians, so they chamber the civilian 1911 pistols for the cartridge.

Looking at wikipedia to remind myself of the bullet weights and velocities, it looks like .357 sig is the more potent auto cartridge.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I do have one. And we ALMOST took it out yesterday. But my son wanted to stick with .45's. I do like the round. It's a little more zippier than a .40, and not quite a .45. I can't attest to the accuracy. But, I bought it on a whim. My Dr. friend had two that he got in a collection, and sold me one.