Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok I did it

Guns Network Contributor 01/2013 rgmcl's Avatar

I used the builders guide thats in the the Black Rifle forum when I built mine. It has great pics and instructions.
    What part of "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" do you not understand?

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    I have gotten some solid advice from the members and I would never think I wouldn't, so another question.
    The kit I bought needs a rear sight. Recommendations? I do not think a peep would work for me and I have no idea
    how to pick the right rear sight and all of them the same height?
    All rear iron sights for ARs will be the same height. This is where a lot of personal preference comes into play because there are many high-quality options out there. Depending on how good or poor your eyesight is, you may benefit from some sort of optic, whether it's a red-dot or a low-power scope.

Red-Dot Sights
    Sights will come with different-sized dots, usually measured in MOA (minute-of-angle, which translates to 1" at 100 yards). The smaller the MOA, the smaller the dot. Common sizes are 2 MOA, 3 MOA, and 6 MOA. 2 or 3 is better for rifle use. The brightness of the dot can be adjusted. Pros: Both-eyes-open shooting with a dot allows quick target acquisition at closer ranges. Ability to also install and use a rear back-up or flip-up iron sight. Battery life is usually good. Dots are usually light-weight. Cons: You need a riser for AR15 use if one isn't included with the sight. Dots may appear blurry for those with severe astigmatism. Non-magnified dots suck at longer ranges - just my personal opinion.

Low-Power Scopes
    Low-power scopes are usually a variable like a 1-4x or a fixed magnification like a 4x. These come with plain black reticles, others may have the option of a battery-powered lighted reticle, and the more expensive ones (ACOG) will have a Tritium-lit reticle that requires no batteries. Pros: Great for aging eyes. Variable scopes can cover both close-range shooting and medium-range shooting with precision. Cons: Often much heavier than a red-dot. Requires a one-piece scope mount to install it in the right position on an AR. These one-piece mounts can cost from $100 on up if you're staying away from junk. No ability to use flip-up (also called back-up) rear iron sights unless you have a quick-detach scope mount.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Peep sights are much easier than open irons. They focus by means of pin-hole effect. At least a flip up rear known as a Back Up Iron Sight or BUIS for short is something you should have. A red dot like a Strikefire II by Votex or the Sparc II by Vortex are quality and under $200 each. I have the Strikefire II on my AR pistol and I am very satisfied with it. It has a large 4 MOA red dot that is very easy to see even in bright high noon daylight. I've handled the Sparc II sights and think they look really nice and they are smaller and lighter than the Strikefire II.

Maybe the Bushnell TRS-25, no experience with one but they are about $100 bucks. http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...prod79494.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...=vortex+optics

http://www.brownells.com/optics-moun...=vortex+optics

Oh btw, when you get to putting those little spring and plunger detents into a lower you might want to do it inside a large trash bag. Especially the one for the front take down pin retention. If you slip that sucker is going to launch like a missile and where it lands is usually impossible to find.

Yeah I kind of got that through the vids I watch this morning. They spoke many a time about lose and lost springs.

Just waiting for the ship date now. Maybe the 7th.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

you get that sucker built yet?

use a putty knife to hold the detent and spring in when you install the front takedown pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Oh btw, when you get to putting those little spring and plunger detents into a lower you might want to do it inside a large trash bag. Especially the one for the front take down pin retention. If you slip that sucker is going to launch like a missile and where it lands is usually impossible to find.
    I've found them plenty of times ... although it was not only months later and after I'd bought a replacement ... and when I was looking for something else.

But, Hey! I found it! ... and then I have a reason to build another rifle ... because after all, I have this detent laying around and not doing anything!

Yeah funny. I had a spring go flying and like you said I found it months later. Other than just loosing one should you
    keep some spares? By now I not what to expect to break on my AK's but like I have said I am going at this blind.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by rgmcl View Post
    I used the builders guide thats in the the Black Rifle forum when I built mine. It has great pics and instructions.
    That is the guide I had. I didn't know it was stickyed.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Yeah funny. I had a spring go flying and like you said I found it months later. Other than just loosing one should you
    keep some spares? By now I not what to expect to break on my AK's but like I have said I am going at this blind.
    Not much to break on a properly-maintained AR. If the key on top of the bolt carrier is not properly staked it may come loose. The lugs on the bolt may crack or break off. The bolt face may develop cracks radiating from the firing pin hole. Firing pins and recoil springs are wear-and-tear items that may need replacement after thousands of rounds. Extractors and extractor springs are also wear-and-tear parts. I am the AR15 armorer at the PD where I work. Our Colt AR15s are almost 20 years old and I'm pretty sure most of them are 100% original besides a replacement firing pin or two. Of course, they only get shot a few times per year.

If I had only one AR15, I would keep a spare complete bolt carrier assembly, a spare firing pin, a spare recoil spring, and a spare trigger group (including the hammer and springs).

I wound up getting a complete armorers tool kit by happenstance, needed
    to swap out some gear on a couple of my Colt uppers. So now I'm sort of the
    group's "accidental AR armorer".
    Not trying to be a buzz-kill, but some of us do better work from a manual.
    Fortunately, there's about a dozen really good ones for ARs out there,
    take your pick.

Explain please.

be the heat..

You know I have all the tools to build with and have done it ... shall we say more than once.

It seems all the torque and tugging is done on the upper. I will trust PSA on their upper build.
    The lower is spring management. LOL. But the stock tube has me concerned. I guess I should have
    a spanner anyway. Right?

be the heat..

Yes you need the castle nut wrench to tighten it down. Some people stake them in place, I never have and for range use rifles I see no reason to. Consult Brownell's or another gun tool supply company to get one.

Ok girls PSA says my attempt at this has been shipped.

be the heat..

Well it's here. What rear sight?

be the heat..

Are you going to have an optic and the site just as a back-up?

If a BUIS, I like the GG&G flip up, they are very well made, and sit low ... but they can be a little pricey compared to some others, they also make a flip up front sight for a gas-block or handguard height ... a lot of people like the MagPul BUIS, they don't sit as low but you can buy them as a set if you don't have a front sight (about $95)or as a single ($50).

It all depends on your budget and what you want ... MI also makes decent flip up's
    Last edited by kimberkid; 05-06-2017 at 01:00 PM.

The kit that has arrived has the standard M-16 front sight. The rail goes to T-10 I think.
    All of this is very new. I know I need a glass but I have always been a point and shoot kind of
    person. If I can see you I can hit you but the size and type of sight has me thinking. I have always loved a peep
    But if the dia. is to small this becomes a problem. As far as budget? The rear sight I was looking at was 70 or so.
    I cringed.

be the heat..

put a ruger or magpul rear on it. 200yd peep is fine for most general shooting and easy on bad eyes.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast