Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATF raids Cop's home in Pasadena - hauls off 'huge arsenal" of 57 firearms

ATF raids Cop's home in Pasadena - hauls off 'huge arsenal" of 57 firearms

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...story,amp.html

I don't consider 57 firearms to be a huge arsenal, and I Certainly don't believe that they needed TWO TRUCK to haul it away. Depends on the truck, but it's usually the WEIGHT, not the size that makes transporting a lot of guns a problem for many vehicles. If everything was something akin to an M1 Garand, then the total haul would weigh about 700 Lbs.

From what I can glean, apparently they believe that the cop was taking crime confiscated guns and selling them back to people on the street with no paperwork (I think). If that's the case, then the cop is a criminal and his black market gun sales SHOULD be shut down. Of course he's innocent until proven guilty, but IF (and the govt has to prove its case) he is guilty of that, then I have no sympathy for the cop.

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Yuuuuuge arsenal! Ha, at least it wasn't the typical 8 firearms and 500 rounds of ammo the news media usually calls a huge arsenal. More than half of those firearms were pistols and they said it took two truck loads to haul them away? Must have been a couple of Subaru Bajas that were used for the hauling. It took 4 trips with a Suburban and a small trailer to haul my collection (firearms, ammo, mags, and accoutrements) when I moved a few years back, but I have a lot more than this guy did.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    It's commiefornia where one fire arm is an arsenal. I always thought that an arsenal was the building that housed a cache of weapons, but given the news media dislike of accurate reporting, and the stretch where the word arsenal can mean a bunch of weapons... it's commiefornia.

Here in Indiana 57 firearms would be considered a small collection by everyone except the news media which even here likes to make something of very little.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    It's commiefornia where one fire arm is an arsenal. I always thought that an arsenal was the building that housed a cache of weapons, but given the news media dislike of accurate reporting, and the stretch where the word arsenal can mean a bunch of weapons... it's commiefornia.

Here in Indiana 57 firearms would be considered a small collection by everyone except the news media which even here likes to make something of very little.
    LOL Yes! just don't confuse the MEDIA / politicians / non gun owning libtards (and some police mouthpieces) with actual gun owners! Here in California I know lots of folks who have lots more than 57 guns, woo hoo, (myself included) but sadly we're all aging and dying off. I fear that all the young guys will end up with nothing

What's interesting is that some of the big Silicon Valley money creates some SERIOUS gun collectors out here. Not everyone is a latte sipping libtard. But essentially you're correct that in CALIFORNIA, the media considers anything more than ONE gun to be an arsenal.

As for the definition, according to the dictionary, arsenal means both the building AND/OR the collection of arms. The historical definition used to be the building only, but like many things, our dictionaries had to change because of constant mis-use of the word by the masses.
    Last edited by tank_monkey; 05-02-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

We discussed on here once the difference between a collection and an arsenal. The consensus was that a collection was different types of firearms while an arsenal was many of the same type of firearm. For example, 3 AR-15 of the same manufacturer and model would be an arsenal while 15 AKs, all of different manufacturers and variants would be a collection. I use this to remind my wife that I have a collection, not an arsenal!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

An arsenal is a place where arms are manufactured.
    An armory is a place where arms are stored.

As example, Springfield Arsenal was the US manufactory at Springfield Mass that produced arms.

Your local National Guard facility is a National Guard Armory, which is where the Guard stores arms.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post

As example, Springfield Arsenal was the US manufactory at Springfield Mass that produced arms.

Your local National Guard facility is a National Guard Armory, which is where the Guard stores arms.
    I endorse this post!

Cache....
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I prefer the term, "Metric Shitload".
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I could haul many times this amount in my Ford Ranger. Two trucks? This whole thing stinks. But, if he is actually selling guns taken from perps without authorization, shame on him. Bad cop.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post

That's also why most of us would be considered "persona non grata" there.
    There was some kind of poll/survey a few months ago that said the average gun owner had 8 guns in their possession. It didn't differentiate between long or handguns however.
    And, not just the number of firearms would keep us out, the type and capacity would work against us. Among others, I have an AK with multiple 40 rd. mags as well as two 75 rd. drums. I have a .22 Mag pistol with 30 rd. mags. I also have a .22 rifle with 4 each 30 and 50 rd. mags.
    I would never be welcome in "commiefornia" with those items. Too bad.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I prefer the term, "Metric Shitload".
    Not to be confused worth the more antiquated imperial shitload.

1000 metric shitloads to the shittonne

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Not to be confused worth the more antiquated imperial shitload.

1000 metric shitloads to the shittonne
    Forget metrics for now, how does a shitpot compare to a shitload? Is it 1/10 of a shitload, or closer to 1/25?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post

Hey, I'm not disagreeing with your SENTIMENT on this. We all think alike in that we follow the original intent of the word.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post

I would never be welcome in "commiefornia" with those items. Too bad.
    You wouldn't be welcomed by the politicians and state leaders......

You'd have a lot of friends who would want to go shooting with you

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    We discussed on here once the difference between a collection and an arsenal. The consensus was that a collection was different types of firearms while an arsenal was many of the same type of firearm. For example, 3 AR-15 of the same manufacturer and model would be an arsenal while 15 AKs, all of different manufacturers and variants would be a collection. I use this to remind my wife that I have a collection, not an arsenal!
    When I refer to my own collection .... i also use the word 'collection'. Arsenal is a loaded term (pun intended) to imply something unsavory or illicit. Arsenals are meant to be used in some sort of offensive engagement whereas a collection is to be treasured and admired

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Forget metrics for now, how does a shitpot compare to a shitload? Is it 1/10 of a shitload, or closer to 1/25?
    Shitpot is actually an area so there are 144 square little shits in a shit pot (base 12 system and all)

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Shitpot is actually an area so there are 144 square little shits in a shit pot (base 12 system and all)
    That's clear now. Thanks.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I always though a shitpot was the person who owned a shitload of something.

Nope. You're confusing shitpot with ass hole, which is not to be confused with ass wipe.

A common mistake....

Freedom isn't free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast