Thread: My next project. 1952 Husqvarna FN98 commercial sporter.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

My next project. 1952 Husqvarna FN98 commercial sporter.

I picked this up earlier in the week for a U fixem bargain and now that my Savage 111 project is finished I will start into this. The bore and crown are perfect but the bluing is almost completely worn off and the stock has a crack at the tang as well as other issues. My plan is to get to work on the bluing right away. I am pretty sure I will be replacing the trigger with a Timney that has a trigger safety and then replacing the bolt shroud with one that has no safety cutouts. I will be repairing the crack and then glass bedding the action using steel sleeves through the wood for the bolts and of course sanding and refinishing the wood. I am going to do some research on re checkering it as well. If it is not too complicated then i will attempt that. This is of course a non rush hobby project. My goal is to be finished by hunting season. These beat up scope bases are going to be replaced and a Nikon pro staff will be mounted.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Done yet? Oh put on some big boy pants!!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

That's going to be a beautiful rifle when you get it done. That wood is going to really be pretty.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I think you've got a nice project in the works. Looking forward to updates on the progress. Just a thought but you might want to shoot it before you get too far into it just to make sure you don't have more work than you're anticipating.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I think you've got a nice project in the works. Looking forward to updates on the progress. Just a thought but you might want to shoot it before you get too far into it just to make sure you don't have more work than you're anticipating.
    This is true. I should go put 5 rounds down range and make sure it actually fires, cycles and groups on the paper.

me. unless your eyes are bad, i'd go with refined sights like a new williams set up.

do shoot it first no matter what. adding a scope should be the very last thing you do.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    me. unless your eyes are bad, i'd go with refined sights like a new williams set up.

do shoot it first no matter what. adding a scope should be the very last thing you do.
    That is an option I never thought of. The rifle is already set up for a scope (bolt handle and mounts) so I automatically just thought to continue that rout. But a Williams set up might be nice. This is why I posted it. To get more ideas. I think the rifle might be tapped for some sort of diopter sight. There are two tapped holes in the rear right side of the receiver that have filler screws in them. They might be for a side scope mount but it looks like it would be too weak of a mounting point?. Might be what they are... in pic number three you can see them just ahead of the bolt handle.
    Last edited by rci2950; 05-04-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    This is true. I should go put 5 rounds down range and make sure it actually fires, cycles and groups on the paper.
    Can't hurt. That way you'll know if there is a head space issue, rough chamber, etc. of course you may need to make at least a temporary repair the the stock first. I'm assuming since it's a commercial model and not a sporterized Milsurp that the caliber is still the same as that indicated on the barrel?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I'm assuming since it's a commercial model and not a sporterized Milsurp that the caliber is still the same as that indicated on the barrel?
    I sure hope so, that's why I bought it. This weekend I will mush some play dough in there and pop it out to be sure.

fingers crossed there aren't any other issues like headspacing or rough chamber. That would be a real bummer.