Thread: Any XD XD/M shooters?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Any XD XD/M shooters?

I've known about the SA polymer line ever since it came out and have followed its evolution from a distance. I've never shot any of the different models and in fact I haven't even handled many of them. Guess I just didn't see them as offering anything Glock didn't already provide (kinda the same thing with the S&W M&P line of pistols).

Anyway, was just reading an article on the SA guns and figured that if they were still selling and offering new models after 15+ years maybe they were worth taking a real look at. I don't know anyone that owns one and I can't say that they represent much of the inventory at my LGS but figured some of our members had experience with them.

Doing some research including some YouTube videos and when comparing the SD line to Glock I'm seeing the following pros and cons for the SD and SD/M pistols.

Cons: Not U.S. made, (I believe Glock is actually building some models in Smyrna now).
    Higher price
    No factory extended capacity mags

Pros: Dovetailed front sight
    Metal sights not plastic
    Better trigger ("better" can be pretty subjective)
    Grip safety
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 05-06-2017 at 07:07 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I've known about the SA polymer line ever since it came out and have followed its evolution from a distance. I've never shot any of the different models and in fact I haven't even handled many of them. Guess I just didn't see them as offering anything Glock didn't already provide (kinda the same thing with the S&W M&P line of pistols).

Anyway, was just reading an article on the SA guns and figured that if they were still selling and offering new models after 15+ years maybe they were worth taking a real look at. I don't know anyone that owns one and I can't say that they represent much of the inventory at my LGS but figured some of our members had experience with them.

Doing some research including some YouTube videos and when comparing the SD line to Glock I'm seeing the following pros and cons for the SD and SD/M pistols.

Cons: Not U.S. made, (I believe Glock is actually building some models in Smyrna now).
    Higher price
    No factory extended capacity mags

Pros: Dovetailed front sight
    Metal sights not plastic
    Better trigger ("better" can be pretty subjective)
    Grip safety

It (XD) is a good gun but don't buy anything from a sell out company.
    http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...icking-pieces/

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Every firearms maker has done something at one time or another that made some group boycott them. Are you prepared to no longer buy any firearm from any manufacturer? I'm betting you're not. If you'd like to start your own thread about the politics of Springfield Armory please do so.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I've had 3 XD piwtols, 2 in 9mm and 1 in .45 acp. They were ok, until I found I shoot glocks better. The XD trigger reset for me was long and just lacking. I've heard and read people dog on glock triggers, and I just don't get it. Out of xd, the MP, HK, beretta, and sig I find glock triggers to be awesome. Lighten the pull weight to like 3.5lbs and it's better. I haven't tried the XDM line or XD's line either so I don't know, I'd hope it would be better if they say they've improved. They are good guns no doubt, I guess it was just a pursuit for what's better for me. I really like the fiber optic sights options they have on some of the XDM guns I've seen for race guns. The MP just sucked because of the trigger, couldn't get used to it at all.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WGd6ZAXXRT8

I know it's not a striker fired piece, but I want the shit out of one of these, very Sig like without the Sig price. And from vids I've watched and articles and reviews I've read it seems like a tank. Hopefully I can find one to check out at a store before I outright buy one.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

They're good polymer framed striker fired pistols. They are about the largest and heaviest of this pistol type from the big companies. Personally I think the XDm is a little expensive for a gun that still needs a trigger job. I would lean towards the Mod.2 unless you really prefer the looks or slightly larger grip and magazine of the XDm.

I have a old XD9 4" I'd like to retire and get a Glock 19 MOS to be lighter weight and slimmer for carry, have access to 33 round stick mags, and have compatibility with optics which I might like to try one day.

I have an XD-45 5" that I think I'd like to sell and get either an XDm 5.25 competition model or perhaps a Glock21 or 41 for the same reason as the Glock 19.

I also carry an XDs-9 as my daily carry and have no intentions of replacing it. It is significantly heavier than the Glock 43 but its an easier shooter and still pocket carries fine.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"