Thread: Replacing Bushmaster Pinned Stock

Replacing Bushmaster Pinned Stock

I have an old Bushmaster Ultralight with a pinned stock that was purchased during the Clinton years. I want to replace the pinned stock with an adjustable stock since these are no longer banned (at least in WV). Never having worked on ARs I am confused with what I have read concerning the difference between a commercial buffer tube and a milspec buffer tube. Which would the Bushmaster require or would it be possible to use either a commercial or a milspec buffer tube? One would think this would be an easy question to Google - but apparently it is not. Back when I bought the gun it was claimed that Bushmaster made a milspec gun so can I assume their buffer tube was milspec?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Military buffer tubes are smaller in diameter than commercial buffer tubes. I think the proper term is receiver extension, but yeah I call it a buffer tube as well most of the time. Commercial-spec receiver extension tubes, (aka buffer tubes) have a diameter of 1.168”, while the Mil-spec is slightly smaller and has a diameter of 1.148”.

https://support.bushmaster.com/Gener...uffer_tubes%3F That's weird as they say larger 1.14 size but that is military spec diameter and smaller than 1.168 which is commercial. Evidently even Bushmaster doesn't know WTF they use! I found other references from other web sites and all say the larger commercial size. So maybe the webmaster at Bushmaster can't type for shit? Get some calipers and measure your tube yourself.

BTW, I think most of the ones I saw simply used a bolt threaded into the tube to fix it in place. If it is just a bolt, take it out and put on a new stock that fits the tube. Could save you a couple of bucks.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 05-15-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Basically choose the stock that looks best for your personal use and buy it.
    They both just screw on to the reciever with the same size threads.

There is a castle nut that needs a spanner wrench and yours may be staked so it will take some muscle to break it free.
    As you loosen the nut (all the way) there is a spacer plate that needs to move to the rear. That plate is holding a take down pin spring. Its on the right side, don't loose the spring.

BISHOP

Thanks for both responses to my question.

We have a small group here but on firearms questions someone always has an answer.

I will always try to help with no bull poop answers when I can, based on my own experiences.

I am also a "trill of the hunt" type of person when it comes to searching for gun accessories.

A buddy showed me a video of some guy with an AR and he said that he wanted one just like it. 15 minuets and I had the brand names of every part and 8 min later I had prices.
    1/2 HOUR LATER I HAD BETTER PRICES!

BISHOP