Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's gonna be your next thunderstick purchase?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

What's gonna be your next thunderstick purchase?

I am gonna get my kid to build me an AR that is styled like the Vietnam era M-16. I have always loved that look, triangular grip and all.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Visited one of my regular gun dealers and he had two guns that caught my eye. One was a new Hi-Point .45 carbine that I've been longing for and the other was a Chinese SKS with folding blade bayonet.

Not sure which one I would get first, but they both looked/felt good.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Tell your son to have fun with that!!

Unless you want to spend MORE than just buying an old Colt A1 he may have to do what I JUST did for my dad.

He came to me wanting an AR15 suddenly. I told him it would be more cost effective if it was a meld of new and old.
    He got:
    * Anderson lower with built-in trigger guard
    * Colt pencil barrel, I found on ebay
    * Retro style 3 pronged flash hider
    * F marked front sight
    * M4 flat top upper
    * Teardrop forward assist
    * A2 removable carry handle. There is a guy that makes or made A1 removable carry handles but I'm not paying over $200
    * Vintage pistol grip.
    * A2 stock
    * Triangle handguards. The triangle handguards were most frustrating part. EVERYBODY sells a right side ranging in price from $5 to .
    $210. new in wrapper. NOBODY sells a NIW left side. Some are nasty, chipped, cracked, and molted

Its done now and he likes it. I told him that the flat top was going to be a better idea if he ever decides to go with optics.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 05-21-2017 at 09:09 AM.

I've been trying to justify a Sharps 45/70
    Wouldn't mind one with a Malcolm scope but those seem to be a little shaky with holding zero
    Will be while but would really like one
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Ooh a Sharps. Forgot about those.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I've been contemplating the funky Kel-Tec shotgun. I just recently bought a new carry piece. Its a Springfield Armory XDs in .45acp. Much easier to conceal than a 1911.
    Returns June 3rd.

I'ont know.

bought so much c&r stuff in the past month i might hit the pause button.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I am thinking of a Remington 760 in 30-06 so I have a good rifle for deer and such. Just in case I decide to ever go deer or elk hunting. I won't get it for about 8 months, though, as I have a deployment to do first so if I get it, it will be when I get back.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    I've been contemplating the funky Kel-Tec shotgun. I just recently bought a new carry piece. Its a Springfield Armory XDs in .45acp. Much easier to conceal than a 1911.
    You'll love it. It takes a little practice to load it, but after that, it's a blast. Hardly kicks, either.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    You'll love it. It takes a little practice to load it, but after that, it's a blast. Hardly kicks, either.
    Ali, have any feed or other issues with it?

I love the idea of that amount firepower in such a small package. Especially if one uses the shorty shells.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

LGS just had an arisaka come in. He said its rough. Depending on how much he is going to ask when he figures out its value I may be making a trip over.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I am gonna get my kid to build me an AR that is styled like the Vietnam era M-16. I have always loved that look, triangular grip and all.

I built one for my younger son:

(click pic for full res)

The lower is wrong, but it's what I had lying around at the time. I may get a correct lower one day (then I'll have to build another one to use this lower!)
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Visited one of my regular gun dealers and he had two guns that caught my eye. One was a new Hi-Point .45 carbine that I've been longing for and the other was a Chinese SKS with folding blade bayonet.

Not sure which one I would get first, but they both looked/felt good.

I've got one of those (built in 1956 according to the serial number which is sub 1 million). I got it for $125 from a guy who didn't want it... and it's in mint condition.

(click pic for full res)

Krup, that AR looks great. That is what I want.

Ali, have any feed or other issues with it?

I love the idea of that amount firepower in such a small package. Especially if one uses the shorty shells.
    The ONLY problem I had with mine was my doing. I installed a different forearm on it and it wouldn't load a new shell when I cycled it. I sent it back to factory (without the forearm) and it came back about two weeks later. I installed the forearm again and had the same problem. This time, before I took it to the dealer, I decided to cycle it when I had the forearm off. It cycled perfectly. I reinstalled the forearm and it didn't cycle correctly. When I looked closer, I noticed the forearm didn't allow the slide to came all the way back. It was stopped 1/8 of an inch from going all the way back.

So, I shaved about 1/4 inch off the hand guard and cycled it again. It worked perfectly. Haven't had any problems with it since. It cycles like slick glass now.

The ONLY problem I've had with mine is when I added the new forearm and didn't fit it correctly to the slide.

Like I said, you'll love it. Compact, fairly light, easy to shoot, mild recoil, and seems to fun forever with both tubes full.

Freedom isn't free.

Altarboy. If you want to spend the $$$ you can first just buy a Colt A1

OR, you can choose the correct upper and lower from http://www.nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm They also will ship them for you for authentic vintage engraving.
    After that the rest of the parts are a matter of what pops up on Ebay or gunbroker and what can be found from numrich arms.

Remember Google IMAGE searches are your best friend.

BISHOP

How is the trigger on your XD? My older son got a Springfield XDS in 9mm:

The trigger (IMO) is terrible. It feels like it's made of rubber, and it takes a lot of pull (force) to make it fire.

I've heard that this is due to a safety modification that Springfield did to the XDS line and supposedly there's an aftermarket trigger that solves the problem.

Know anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    How is the trigger on your XD? My older son got a Springfield XDS in 9mm:

The trigger (IMO) is terrible. It feels like it's made of rubber, and it takes a lot of pull (force) to make it fire.

I've heard that this is due to a safety modification that Springfield did to the XDS line and supposedly there's an aftermarket trigger that solves the problem.

Know anything about this?
    It has a better trigger IMO than my little Ruger but yeah its nothing to brag about. I've had this pistol to the range 3 times now and its definitely a close range weapon. It only has a 3.3" barrel and is much less accurate than my 1911. As far as after market parts or modifications I've not looked into anything.

What I like about this pistol is I can put it and an extra magazine in a belly band, tuck in my shirt and no one is the wiser. I wear the band fairly high so its almost like a shoulder rig.
    Returns June 3rd.

The ONLY problem I had with mine was my doing. I installed a different forearm on it and it wouldn't load a new shell when I cycled it. I sent it back to factory (without the forearm) and it came back about two weeks later. I installed the forearm again and had the same problem. This time, before I took it to the dealer, I decided to cycle it when I had the forearm off. It cycled perfectly. I reinstalled the forearm and it didn't cycle correctly. When I looked closer, I noticed the forearm didn't allow the slide to came all the way back. It was stopped 1/8 of an inch from going all the way back.

So, I shaved about 1/4 inch off the hand guard and cycled it again. It worked perfectly. Haven't had any problems with it since. It cycles like slick glass now.

The ONLY problem I've had with mine is when I added the new forearm and didn't fit it correctly to the slide.

Like I said, you'll love it. Compact, fairly light, easy to shoot, mild recoil, and seems to fun forever with both tubes full.
    Cool. I've watched a few vids of people shooting it but I don't know anyone here that has one.

Have you tried anything like the Aguila mini-shells? Those are offered in both buckshot and slugs.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/shotshell/
    Returns June 3rd.

Cool. I've watched a few vids of people shooting it but I don't know anyone here that has one.

Have you tried anything like the Aguila mini-shells? Those are offered in both buckshot and slugs.

https://www.aguilaammo.com/shotshell/
    No, not yet. Haven't run across any around here. If I see them, I'll pick some up and give them a try and see how they work in my KSG.

Freedom isn't free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast