Thread: Bought a new printer

Bought a new printer

Well I guess I had t since the other quit. I had an HP 310 all in one and the thing was great for a number of years.
    And since that HP was so good for me I went with them again. This time I bought an HP officejet pro 6978 model.
    Being a holiday W/E there was a substantial sale. Hopefully this one will be as good as the last.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Yeah, okay. You know my wife bought paper towels the other day. I was glad.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Watch the documentary called "the light bulb conspiracy". Some printers have a built in self destruct date.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Good luck with the new printer. After going through a few HP printers, mainly because they were inexpensive, at home & at work, I am convinced that HP sells them at a low price because they make their biggest profit from the ink cartridges. HP cartridges are expensive.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

El Jeffe. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Well I guess I had t since the other quit. I had an HP 310 all in one and the thing was great for a number of years.
    And since that HP was so good for me I went with them again. This time I bought an HP officejet pro 6978 model.
    Being a holiday W/E there was a substantial sale. Hopefully this one will be as good as the last.
    I had an HP color laser. The thing was obviously engineered to have a limited lifetime.

The insides of the laser scanner were not sealed, so dust slowly but surely deposited on the lenses.

The print quality went downhill slowly... contrast went down and the colors were bland.

I got to the point of taking it apart (there was nothing I could do to make it WORSE), so I cleaned the scanner insides and cleaned the lenses and mirrors, then tried as best as I could to seal up any places where air could leak in.

The print quality was superb... for a while, then suddenly it went downhill again, but much faster than before.

I took the scanner apart again and found that the lenses were foggy... they were PLASTIC (I thought they were glass). When I cleaned it the first time, I only used Q-tips... no solvent, so it wasn't me that fogged up the lenses.

The plastic either chemically degraded or the plasticizer was DESIGNED to ruin the lenses after a time (which was about 2 years). I seriously believe that it was designed to die.

Now I've got a Samsung color laser and have had it for four years... no problems at all (other than having to buy new toner cartridges every year or so).

Hewlett Packard... the problems go in before the name goes on (a variation on the old Zenith slogan).
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    Good luck with the new printer. After going through a few HP printers, mainly because they were inexpensive, at home & at work, I am convinced that HP sells them at a low price because they make their biggest profit from the ink cartridges. HP cartridges are expensive.
    That's true of any printer (inkjet or laser). The ink cartridges or toner cartridges cost a LOT more than the original printer did... and new printers come with "starter" cartridges (i.e. 1/4 full at best).
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    El Jeffe. Lol
    Does hefe facebook?

be the heat..

Well the first HP 6978 was messed up. Slow to print and made a weird ruffle in the paper so
    I took it back and brought another one home. This one seems to work fine. Hefe?

be the heat..

I paid some bills and pewped today.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    From the information I have from a variety of sources, nearly all printer make up the difference on "consumables" (ink & toner).
    While it doesn't get used much anymore, I still have the HP 722 printer that still functions at 19 years old. Windows 7, despite having this printer listed in its onboard menu, would NOT work with the Win. 7 machine I got late last year, so I had to get an Epson Workforce 3620 as I also needed to replace my scanner.

Krupski - a few years ago, I lucked into a used Canon Imageclass D320 non-color laser to replace an old copier whose drum and wires had finally given up on me. So far, it is working fine and I've only had to replace the toner assembly once.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 05-30-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    I paid some bills and pewped today.
    Well I sure am happy that you were able to get up from your copy and paste
    regiment to pay your bills and whatever peweped is. Carry on.

be the heat..