Thread: New toy or huge firearms sin??

New toy or huge firearms sin??

I just bought a new 1911,the only problem is it is in 9mm. I guess this is my coming out of the closet here by admitting that. I still haven't told my parents. I may have to start peeing sitting down.

In all seriousness I already have 2 in .45. I had some gift cards that i could only spend at a place that sells guns, Terrible problem to have I know. I have a few revolvers a couple .45s. I wanted an auto that the wife could shoot and that I would enjoy too. Went 1911 because I'm very familiar with the manual of arms already, have holsters etc. There is no capacity penalty because I'm in California.
    I may also use it in idpa from time to time.

I'll post pics after I pick it up.

I think I'll be ok if I day a dozen hail John brownings for my sins.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Sounds like a good buy, make? Single or double stack?
    Initial Success or Total Failure

The first issue of Guns and Ammo magazine I ever looked at (probably early 60s) had an article comparing the 9mm Luger and a .45 1911. Things were simpler back then so the comparison involved shooting up a junk car with ball ammo. Fast forward 50+ years and the debate continues. If there is a difference in stopping power it is likely minimal given the advances in bullet technology. IMHO the only real advantage to .45 it provides slightly better knock down of metal targets.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Nothing wrong with a 1911 in 9mm. If you like the platform, then you may have a cheaper (ammo-wise) mode of shooting now.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Kimber stainless target ii single stack. No benefit here to double stack as 10 round max

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have thinking about getting a 1911 in 9mm, but I just can't get past it not being a .45 ACP. It would simplify ammo requirements as I only have one .45 but I have a few 9mms.

Hadn't heard about the Kimber, but just based on the name it should be good. Looking forward to seeing pictures and reading the range report!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have been wanting the Springfield EMP since it came out. Springfield bragged that they took the 1911 and just shrunk it down to 9mm. I just can't justify the price.

Nothing wrong in my book with a 9mm 1911.

this thing is mostly just a toy. I had a hard time deciding what I wanted. I would have bought a sw 586 if they could have ordered me one but they couldn't. I'm not crazy about striker pistols.

I almost bought a lever gun but I don't hunt much and it wouldn't have seen much use. We also have this stupid roster of approved handguns that gets shorter every year so I had more motivation to get a pistol. [

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

What a coincidence. I haven't been here in a while and I came to talk about the Rock Island 22 TCM 1911 that comes with 9mm barrel and spring for caliber conversion. Personally I want the hi-cap "ultra tactical" version. Not sure if I want full length or Commander style. Either way I want the light rail because the whole purpose of this concept in my mind is a modernized 1911.

1911's used to be available in 38 super and modern 9mm beat the old 38 super loads (although I'm sure a hot loaded 38 super with a federal HST loaded into it would be badass). Hard to call a 1911 in 9mm wimpy in my mind.

http://armscor.com/firearms/tcm-seri...mbo-22tcm-9mm/

http://armscor.com/firearms/tcm-seri...mbo-22tcm-9mm/

http://www.ammosupplywarehouse.com/p...00-rdcase.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_TCM
    40 gr (3 g) Pointed flat nose
    2,070 ft/s (630 m/s) 381 ft·lbf (517 J)
    Last edited by FunkyPertwee; 06-18-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    this thing is mostly just a toy. I had a hard time deciding what I wanted. I would have bought a sw 586 if they could have ordered me one but they couldn't. I'm not crazy about striker pistols.

I almost bought a lever gun but I don't hunt much and it wouldn't have seen much use. We also have this stupid roster of approved handguns that gets shorter every year so I had more motivation to get a pistol. [

Pistol caliber lever actions are very fun, both Marlins and Winchester (clones).
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Pistol caliber lever actions are very fun, both Marlins and Winchester (clones).
    I would have bought a winchester 94 in .30-30.

I have read the new ones made in Japan are well made, they are a little too expensive for what they are in my opinion but they are no longer made on a large scale so that probably has something to do with the price. The newer marlins have had a lot of QC issues the last few years since freedom group took over and I am not sure they have all of the bugs worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I would have bought a winchester 94 in .30-30.

I have read the new ones made in Japan are well made, they are a little too expensive for what they are in my opinion but they are no longer made on a large scale so that probably has something to do with the price. The newer marlins have had a lot of QC issues the last few years since freedom group took over and I am not sure they have all of the bugs worked out.

In my understanding, Marlin has the basics worked out, meaning the guns are reliable and accurate again, although the fit and finish will probably never be what it once was.

Rossi makes decent Winchester 1892 clones, and Uberti makes clones of the older types. In regards to a '94, you might want to look for a used original.

Hickok45 does a comparison between the old and new marlin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diO62p2sMWw