Thread: Ticks...

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Ticks...

Remember its Tick Season. I had 4 on me today. I went for a quick shoot (Mosin 91/30) this afternoon and when I was driving home I felt one on my arm. I pulled into the first parking lot and got out of my truck. I then lifted my pant legs and checked and found three more. I went into the nearest public washroom and stripped nude checked myself all over, then shook all my cloths out and then turned them inside out to look for more. Luckily i got them before they started to dig in. I had one little bite from the one on my arm which is now almost disappeared.

Here is a picture right before i flicked the bastard off.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

At least yours are big enough to see. Next time use some repellent and make sure the wife god checks the back of your hairline.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Ahhh. Those should be our state arachnid. I've had about 10 of them so far, just walking out in my yard and feeding the squirrels. I've gotten so I keep a can of bug spray on the front porch and spry my shoes, socks, and pants when I first go out each morning.

If they do dig in, the absolute easiest way to get them off is to saturate a cotton ball with alcohol, place the cotton ball on the tick, and hold it there for about a minute. They are very easy to pull out after that.

How are chiggers up there? They are running rampant here. I think I'd rather deal with ticks than with chiggers. At least you can see ticks.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Tru dat.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I hate those things
    If I had a chance to ask God one question I think it would be "why ticks?"

BTW thanks for not posting a picture of yourself in the public washroom
    The mental image is bad enough
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Two weeks ago during an ftx, me and my guys were getting multiples every time we stepped into into the woods or high grass. We were using 40% deet spray, and they would find the holes in the coverage. We used needle nose and lighter to take care of them, sometimes they took some flesh with them.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Man I hate ticks so bad. We get them in the yard and it sucks for the dogs when they have to go outside for their business. Gotta check them all the time. I usually stay out of the woods during tick season, they just freak me out. I try to do all my woods walks early spring late winter, and during fall looking for wood to make bows and arrows. They came early this year when it was still kinda cold out. Last time I was in the woods in march one was on my face, trying to dig in just under my left ear.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    Two weeks ago during an ftx, me and my guys were getting multiples every time we stepped into into the woods or high grass. We were using 40% deet spray, and they would find the holes in the coverage. We used needle nose and lighter to take care of them, sometimes they took some flesh with them.
    An alcohol-saturated cotton ball will make them lose their hold so they'll be very easy to pull out.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Just yanked two off me last night with needle-nose pliers that were balls-deep in my leg. Bastards. I keep the biters in a baggie in case something goofy happens to me after being bitten and they can be examined.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

A coworker was telling us yesterday how her son was diagnosed with lyme disease but had no bite marks or ever saw a tick.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Lyme disease is bad "juju" for some reason with doctor's
    They just won't say you have it,
    It can take years before they finally call it Lyme disease
    It's around here and now they are finding Rocky Mountain spotted fever in In.
    There's another virus I heard showing up this year but don't recall the name
    It can be diagnosed pretty quickly though
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe