Thread: Vintage audio recording. Confederate Generals first hand account of the civil war, and aftermath

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Vintage audio recording. Confederate Generals first hand account of the civil war, and aftermath

This is very interesting. He speaks of the start of the war, How he joined, the moment he learned of President Lincoln's assassination while in a POW camp and the reason people in the south fought. (hint: it wasn't for slavery)

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

"States Rights". This is what I've been telling people for years but they haven't wanted to acknowledge this.
    I just wish there was some way to verify the authenticity of this recording and the person that gave the interview. How old was he when the recording was made? WHEN was it made? HOW was it made?? These details are sadly lacking.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

It was about preserving the integrity of their national homelands ("states") and a future for their white children. The state governments themselves were not what they were concerned with, but rather what they referred to as "Southern institutions".
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    How old was he when the recording was made? WHEN was it made? HOW was it made?? These details are sadly lacking.
    "In 1942, Life magazine did a spread on Howell. Several photos of the old gentleman show him dressed in his Confederate uniform. Because legislators wanted to hear more from the Confederate veteran, Howell addressed the combined Congress of the United States in Washington in 1944, when he was 98, and that is when it is believed this tape was made."

https://thedailyhatch.org/2012/01/03...view-included/
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

The vids of those old vets doing the rebel yell is neat too.

Confederate veterans recreate Pickett's Charge and the rebel yell during the 50th anniversary.jpg
    Confederate veterans recreate Pickett's Charge and the "rebel yell" during the 50th anniversary
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

The reasons for the war are historically clear. States that joined the Confederacy stated their reasons in writing. Defense of slavery was a clear objective. I find it interesting that the defenders of Dixie never bring up the Twenty Slave Law. All of the so called higher issues about States rights, the right to back out of Constitutional pact, etc. really stem from the Fugitive Slave Act.

The fact that the non slave owning part of Virginia broke away to be West Va clearly demonstrates the war was about slavery regardless of the spin put forth then or now.

https://www.civilwar.org/learn/artic...sons-secession

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    "In 1942, Life magazine did a spread on Howell. Several photos of the old gentleman show him dressed in his Confederate uniform. Because legislators wanted to hear more from the Confederate veteran, Howell addressed the combined Congress of the United States in Washington in 1944, when he was 98, and that is when it is believed this tape was made."

https://thedailyhatch.org/2012/01/03...view-included/
    Thanks RCI. That was one tough gentleman.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”