Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here suffer from social anxiety?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Anybody here suffer from social anxiety?

I can hardly leave the house anymore. If we have people over, I get shaky. If we go out in the town, it freaking wrecks me. Years ago, my doctor gave me paxil and zanex for this, but my cdl can go bye bye if I am on anything like that. I feel like I need a month in the AT. Hell, I live in the woods. A month at home would be nice.

I do a little bit. I am an introvert. I will get a little nervous if I have a meeting with someone new or in a new setting. It is worse if it is a scheduled meeting (stress leading up to the time of the meeting). If I have a big presentation with a client (which is a part of my job) my stomach will get a little upset, I'll get a little nervous, sweaty palms etc. I can force myself through it and actually usually do very well but it is not natural for me.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Go to a state where it's legal and try marijuana and see if that helps. Today you can ingest it in other ways than smoking if you're concerned with health issues related to that. I'm as right wing as they come these days and no longer support degeneracy like I did as a libertarian, and IMO this could be a healthier alternative to pills.

I know plenty of people that become permanently fucked up from using xanax long term, both in people who used it recreationally and those who used it as prescribed to prevent panic attacks. The shit is bad for you.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Stop drinking Alcohol and switch to Decaf. might help.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I do a little bit. I am an introvert. I will get a little nervous if I have a meeting with someone new or in a new setting. It is worse if it is a scheduled meeting (stress leading up to the time of the meeting). If I have a big presentation with a client (which is a part of my job) my stomach will get a little upset, I'll get a little nervous, sweaty palms etc. I can force myself through it and actually usually do very well but it is not natural for me.
    I was the same way, but teaching forced me to change. It's kind of hard being an introvert when you have to face 150 middle school kids every day. My first week teaching brought that change in me. Now, it's no big deal having to get up in front of people and talk. I did it for 42 years....
    Last edited by alismith; 07-04-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I feel ya. I can't stand crowds or places with lots of people. Even in a grocery store with old ladies everywhere blocking aisles with their shopping carts. In restaurants I prefer a corner with my back against the wall.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Altarboy - not so much "social anxiety" as just more comfortable at home in this hot weather.
    Add to that, being in Illinois, there aren't a lot of people I care to deal with in stores or on the street.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I can hardly leave the house anymore. If we have people over, I get shaky. If we go out in the town, it freaking wrecks me. Years ago, my doctor gave me paxil and zanex for this, but my cdl can go bye bye if I am on anything like that. I feel like I need a month in the AT. Hell, I live in the woods. A month at home would be nice.
    Yep. Unless I have a few drinks, I'm terribly insecure in public. You're not alone. Ju8st a constant feeling that people are looking at me and/or I'm going to do or say something embarrassing. Been that way my entire life. I get flushed in the face, ears and head.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I do... sorta. I don't have shakes and fear, but if I go somewhere that I don't know most of the people, I just stay quiet and wait until it's over so I can GTFO.

I don't like "social gatherings" UNLESS it's immediate family or people that I know.

I'm not the kind to "float around" and make small talk with everyone and anyone. I'd rather not be there.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    I feel ya. I can't stand crowds or places with lots of people. Even in a grocery store with old ladies everywhere blocking aisles with their shopping carts. In restaurants I prefer a corner with my back against the wall.
    you can throw me in with you.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Does it annoy you guys when folks say something like "you should just be more open"

I've been more or less shy since I was a little kid. I don't think it's something you can just turn off with the flick of a switch. I think you have to understand your personality and where there are parts of it that can be a disadvantage, find ways to manage.

Funny thing, if I have to give a big speech or presentation, especially to people I don't know, I get nervous as fuck before hand but usually do very well. I just understand that it isn't in my natural comfort zone.

You should be more open (to me) just means they want to know my business. Hey make yourself comfortable, while others do matter
    in your life, you are the only one that has to live in your head. One thing I do to make myself feel ok in uncomfortable situations
    is remember they have no idea what you are really thinking.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I hit my social "limit" when i see too much dumb shit . some days it bothers me and some days, i just dont give a fuck
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

You guys have just lost your mental 'armor'. That's what happens when you live in the middle of nowhere. You get used to the tranquility, the peace, the quiet. Try living in or near a big city.

Also it's a proven fact that the older you get, the less you want to be around 'hustle and bustle'.

Does anyone remember the movie where a character tells another "Everything's an adventure .... when you're young...." (I can't remember it).

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    You guys have just lost your mental 'armor'. That's what happens when you live in the middle of nowhere. You get used to the tranquility, the peace, the quiet. Try living in or near a big city.

Also it's a proven fact that the older you get, the less you want to be around 'hustle and bustle'.

Does anyone remember the movie where a character tells another "Everything's an adventure .... when you're young...." (I can't remember it).
    But I think we moved out in the country to be away from people....Catch-22

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post

I hit my social "limit" when i see too much dumb shit . some days it bothers me and some days, i just dont give a fuck
    HAHA I wish I could do that. I dwell on everything I've done that remotely made me embarrassed or some stupid little thing I've done my entire life.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

No, not really.

Though when I first got out of school & into the business world it was intimidating doing biz with clients old enough to be my father or grandfather. I suppose there was some anxiety at that time but as the years passed I became more comfortable in dealing with strangers & public speaking. Like Tank mentioned above, living & working around a major city probably forces one to get more aggressive & outgoing, too.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Good points, all. I used to smoke the devil's cabbage. I sorta figured that was part of my issue. I think my age, plus living in the woods has changed me. It just seems to bother my wife at times, as she is a social butterfly. But I wouldn't want her to be like me.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    My biggest anxiety lately is whether or not my computer is going to be able to log into the internet. Between having to reset the router once every couple of months, an update from micro-company actually loading or not, my virus protection getting sideways reportedly due to a software update not perfect which required a full removal and reinstall, and my browser getting sideways three times this month forcing a reboot of my PC to get back on the net, just sitting in front of this device makes me sick lately. And of course there is the anxiety of wondering if my computer will reboot properly........

Social anxiety? Like william jefferson clinton preached, someone else's problem!

i can have a better conversation with a drug dealer,murderer or sex offender than i ever could with a stranger in a grocery store.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast