Thread: Animal rights activists harass fishermen at public park

Animal rights activists harass fishermen at public park

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vegan-act...225020706.html

A family in Florida was left outraged this week after a group of animal welfare activists confronted them while they were fishing at a park in St. Petersburg.

Bob Hope was fishing with his parents at Crescent Lake Park on Tuesday when the dispute with vegan activists began. Two videos of the incident, including one filmed by Hope’s mom and one filmed by the activists, were shared on social media this week.

Hope told ABC Action News that he and his family were fishing for dinner and had caught a tilapia when a young boy approached them and said, “You know fish feel pain, and you’re hurting that fish.”

Moments later, a group of protesters, some wearing blue shirts that read “Animal liberation now,” appeared from around a corner, grabbed the fish and threw it back into the lake. The family was waiting for Hope’s brother to return to the lake with a bucket for the fish.

“We were suddenly ambushed and harrased by these nut jobs,” Hope wrote on Facebook along with the video below that shows a portion of the confrontation. “They literally pushed my mothers leg and stole the fish and threw it into the water.”

The protesters chanted, “It’s not food, it’s violence” and “Fish feel pain, just like us,” as a man in a blue shirt, identified by the Tampa Bay Times as Mike Leaming, argued with several people.

The group is a local chapter of the national animal rights group Direct Action Everywhere, according to local news station WFLA.

Hope called the police after the activist threw the fish back into the lake. “That’s when I decided I didn’t want to return any sort of violence with violence,” Hope told ABC News.

Police officers arrived as the activists were leaving the park, but the St. Petersburg Police Department said that the responding officer didn’t witness any disorderly conduct or criminal activity.

“Whether one agrees with the message or not, any group has a right to free speech in a public park,” police said in a statement to ABC News.

Hope told the Tampa Bay Times that the confrontation was harassment, not a protest. He also said that he and his family left the lake after the incident and fished in another location.

“By the way, that fish was an invasive tilapia,” Hope told the newspaper. “They’re destroying the ecosystem and killing our bass population.”

The activists who confronted Hope’s family were the same group of people who protested at a Chick-fil-A less than 10 miles from the lake earlier Tuesday. The group entered the restaurant with fake knives and blood splatter and screamed at customers in protest of Chick-fil-A’s Cow Appreciation Day special, which offered free entrees to customers who wore cow costumes.

Kayla Leaming, a spokeswoman for Direct Action Everywhere, told WFLA that the fish that Hope’s family caught at the lake was suffering.

“If this animal was a dog or a cat, we would be labeled heroes, but because we saved a fish, everybody is trying to make us out to be monsters,” Leaming told the news station.

This article originally appeared on HuffPost.

I don't have patience for things like that.
    My violence meter was pegged immediately and I would have been in jail as soon as I realized where this was going.

Isn't there some kind of "Hunting law" that states that no one can take or molest game that was lawfully took or something along those lines.
    If I shot a deer, rabbit, duck no one can just come by, take it from my boat or truck and throw it back into the woods.

Second, I don't think I have ever read a story where Bass wasn't the invasive species.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 07-15-2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: edited to correct some typos, may not appear in earlier quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    I don't have patience for things like that.
    My violence meter was pegged immediately and I would have been in jail as soon as I realized where this was going.

Isn't there some kind of "Hunting law" that states that no one can take or molest game that lawfully took or something along those lines.
    If I shot a deer, rabbit, duck no one can just come by, take it from my boat or truck and throw it back into the woods.

Second, I don't think I have never read a story where Bass wasn't the invasive species.

BISHOP
    This happened in Florida, and you're correct about the law.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...atuteYear=2006

372.705 Harassment of hunters, trappers, or fishers.--

(1) A person may not intentionally, within a publicly or privately owned wildlife management or fish management area or on any state-owned water body:

(a) Interfere with or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish, game, or nongame animals by another.

(b) Attempt to disturb fish, game, or nongame animals or attempt to affect their behavior with the intent to prevent their lawful taking by another.

(2) Any person who violates this section commits a Level Two violation under s. 372.83.

I wonder if the police/game commission will charge them? I'd also imagine that they could charge these assholes with assault and or disorderly conduct. There's plenty of video evidence for a case against them.

Maybe if he ate some MEAT PROTEIN he wouldn't be such a nut!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

They seem to be terrorists.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Police officers arrived as the activists were leaving the park, but the St. Petersburg Police Department said that the responding officer didn’t witness any disorderly conduct or criminal activity.

By this statement, if the fisherpeople had sunk the activist boat, and caused them to drown, if the responding officer didn't witness and criminal activity, it would be ok? Yes I know Miss-d versus felony, but...

How many of you heard of "caning" as a punishment?
    Those fishermen had rods & reels. How hard would it have been to whack that nutter on the hands or arms when he reached for that fish?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Maybe if he ate some MEAT PROTEIN he wouldn't be such a nut!
    He appears to be suffering from the effects of glioblastoma.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I would have jumped on the fish in front of them and then caught another one to replace it.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Would the father also be contributing to the delinquency of a minor?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

We are screwed if there is ever a Race War! So many of our fellow Whites are fucking Stupid Liberals! I am amazed at how stupid some of them I have tried to talk to about Gun Control are! They always give you that line if he did not have the Gun he could not have shot anyone! How does anyone go through their whole Life with out an ounce of Common Sense!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    We are screwed if there is ever a Race War! So many of our fellow Whites are fucking Stupid Liberals! I am amazed at how stupid some of them I have tried to talk to about Gun Control are! They always give you that line if he did not have the Gun he could not have shot anyone! How does anyone go through their whole Life with out an ounce of Common Sense!
    We aren't screwed. Just figure that almost every liberal is weaponless. Talk, yell, and throw stuff is all they can do. Most conservatives own guns and know how to use them. If there's a race war, the other side is loaded with, what amounts to, moving targets.

As far as going through life without any common sense, you answered that in your second sentence. That's the only way a liberal can make it through life. Many liberals have elevated stupidity to an art form.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Smile

Thats right! I forgot about all the Victims who will die so easily on the First Day of a National Emerigency. Thanks.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Who would entertain this nonsense, asshole needs a beat down in the worst way.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Who would entertain this nonsense, asshole needs a beat down in the worst way.
    I concur.

Ali & Hobe - do you remember the phrase "cannon fodder"? That's what those "moving targets" will be.