Thread: Dunkirk movie review SPOILERS

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Dunkirk movie review SPOILERS

Overall, I enjoyed it and it's well worth seeing. This is not a big picture type movie like "The Longest Day" with lots of decisions in London or Berlin being covered, it's three parallel story lines that intersect occasionally. A British Army private wanting to get evacuated, an RAF pilot and a civilian taking his pleasure craft to pick up evacuees. There is no "from the German point of view" piece at all in fact, except for aircraft, you never even see any Germans except for two silhouettes at the end capturing a downed airman.

It was actually filmed at the evacuation beach. The music is good, it adds a lot. It's as realistic as possible considering it doesn't have much CGI.

Only one goofball part in my view - some British soldiers were sheltering in the hull of a stranded fishing boat waiting for the incoming tide to float it so they could motor to England. Just as the tide was starting to float it, the Germans started firing at it as target practice not knowing that there were Brits in the hull. Lots of water was flooding it and they had a ridiculous argument about how one man out of like 16 should get out to lessen the weight in the hull (as if that would make a difference) and it got all moral and silly and lasted a long time in the middle of this emergency situation - I cringed.

Thanks for the review. My son and I can't wait to see it!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Another spoiler....get ready for it.

Most of the Brits get evacuated at the end.
    Last edited by alismith; 07-25-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Total evacuees was over 350,000 but it's little realized that:
    a) Around 150,000 were French
    b) Most of those were repatriated to France within weeks to "continue the fight" there, which of course ended up in them surrendering in France which is that the evacuation was meant to avoid (some weren't repatriated and became De Gaulle's Free French Army)

"Only one goofball part in my view - some British soldiers were sheltering in the hull of a stranded fishing boat waiting for the incoming tide to float it so they could motor to England. Just as the tide was starting to float it, the Germans started firing at it as target practice not knowing that there were Brits in the hull. Lots of water was flooding it and they had a ridiculous argument about how one man out of like 16 should get out to lessen the weight in the hull (as if that would make a difference) and it got all moral and silly and lasted a long time in the middle of this emergency situation - I cringed. "

There has to be a global warming/sjw/nwo heart play in there somewhere. Either that or something about the holocaust.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Here is a question for you airplane Guys! Knowing that the very last Heinkel HE-111 Bomber, crashed at an Airshow over 10 Years ago, and sadly was beyond repair. Can anyone tell me the name of that Postwar Spanish Air force copy of the Heinkel as that was all that was flying in the Film. I believe that all the ME-109s were Real as there are a lot of ME-109's still around. Speaking of WW2 German Bombers, I hope they can repair and Fly the only Dornier DO-17Z Light Bomber they recovered off the coast of England 2 or 3 Years ago. My 2 favorite Plane of the German Luftwaffe were the Dornier DO-17Z and the ME-110 2 Great looking Planes.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

CASA 2.111 , they used them until the mid 70's .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thank you much. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    "Only one goofball part in my view - some British soldiers were sheltering in the hull of a stranded fishing boat waiting for the incoming tide to float it so they could motor to England. Just as the tide was starting to float it, the Germans started firing at it as target practice not knowing that there were Brits in the hull. Lots of water was flooding it and they had a ridiculous argument about how one man out of like 16 should get out to lessen the weight in the hull (as if that would make a difference) and it got all moral and silly and lasted a long time in the middle of this emergency situation - I cringed. "

There has to be a global warming/sjw/nwo heart play in there somewhere. Either that or something about the holocaust.
    The guy they wanted to get out of the boat was a French solider who had put on the uniform of a British soldier to aid his perceive chances for evacuation. He was an "outsider" and the silly debate thing revolved around that and the counter argument about how they were all human or allies or something. It was dumb. All else in the movie was pretty straightforward. There really isn't that much dialogue, the scene I described being the exception.