Thread: Photo of the sun through a #10 welding filter

Photo of the sun through a #10 welding filter

In preparation for the upcoming eclipse, I've been experimenting with directly photographing the sun through a welding filter rather than using the "pinhole" trick or using a telescope to project an image of the sun.

This one turned out fairly well... and amazingly there are almost no sunspots visible. I wondered if the filter caused the sunspots not to be seen or if there really weren't any, so I checked the Helioseismic and Magnetic Imager website and sure enough our images look almost identical. There's one tiny bright spot near the left edge of the sun and both the HMI site images and my image see it. I got some blur though... EVERY time I'm ready to fire the shutter the wind picks up and shakes the telescope!

(click pic for larger)

Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Did you photograph the right sun? Ours is yellow.

Actually, green stars are the rarest of all the colors....Their temperature ranges are so narrow that most stars pass right through that stage relatively quick.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Cool.

Also, Walmart is selling glasses for safe viewing of the eclipse. They look similar to 3-D glasses used at movie theaters.
    Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    Cool.

Also, Walmart is selling glasses for safe viewing of the eclipse. They look similar to 3-D glasses used at movie theaters.
    Yep, Amazon has them too:

https://www.amazon.com/Soluna-Solar-...CZL/ref=sr_1_5

But now they're charging $17 for a 10-pack. It was only $10 a month ago.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Did you photograph the right sun? Ours is yellow.

Actually, green stars are the rarest of all the colors....Their temperature ranges are so narrow that most stars pass right through that stage relatively quick.
    Technically, our sun is white... it's color is our definition of white.

Compared to other stars though, it is only yellow. Some stars are so hot that their visible light emission is in the blue range while others are so cool that they appear orange or red.

There is no such thing as a "green" star though. There are illusions caused by stars of two different colors being (visibly to us) very close together, and their combined colors mimic green... a lot like blue and yellow paint mixed together.

Example:

Viewing star color involves the additive primary color spectrum (red, green and blue) instead of the subtractive primary spectrum (magenta, cyan and yellow). This is the same as a computer monitor or TV set.

To make colors other than red, green or blue, two of these are mixed together. For example, red plus green = yellow. Red plus blue = magenta and green plus blue = cyan.

So, as a black body radiator increases in temperature, it's apparent color will change from dull red to bright red, then to yellow (as a result of combining green and red), then finally blue, violet and ultraviolet.

Although there IS green emission, because it's mixed with either red or blue, we can never see PURE green from a black body radiator (although it IS in there... as proven by the fact that using a prism to split "white" sunlight yields the full visible color spectrum, including pure green.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Yep, Amazon has them too:

https://www.amazon.com/Soluna-Solar-...CZL/ref=sr_1_5

But now they're charging $17 for a 10-pack. It was only $10 a month ago.
    I think I would rather trust a welding filter. Those Amazon cheap-o glasses may be dark, but do they stop infrared radiation?

If not, you could fry your eyes even though the sun looks "dark enough".

In fact, when you process (develop) infrared camera film, you have to do it in a metal tank.

A black plastic developing tank, which is fine for B&W as well as color film, will fog infrared film by letting in ambient IR radiation.

I know a welding filter will stop IR as well as bright visible light and UV as well. I'm not going to risk my eyes to save a few $$$.

Want to try something cool? Get a bright red and bright blue LED and wire them up to a battery with the proper resistor.

Tape the two LED's together or whatever so that they both shine in the same direction.

Now, in the dark make a shadow on the wall of your hand with the red/blue LED pair.

You will see two shadows of your hand... one red and one blue, slightly misregistered (i.e. not right on top of each other - like a 3D anaglyph image).

NOW, view your hand shadow while wearing red/blue 3D glasses. The shadow of your hand will appear to be either in front of the wall or behind it (depending on which way the LED's are oriented).

By moving your hand closer to or further away from the LED's (or by moving the LED's closer or further), you can make your hand shadow appear to move away from or deeper into the wall (again depending on which way the LED's are pointing).

By the way, the two LED's need to be held so that one is left and one is right (not one above and one below).

That is, this is right:

This is wrong:

Have fun!

We basically have had no sunspots for months.

Today's offering: http://www.suspicious0bservers.org/ There will be another at 4 or so MT
    tomorrow.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Technically, our sun is white... it's color is our definition of white.

Compared to other stars though, it is only yellow. Some stars are so hot that their visible light emission is in the blue range while others are so cool that they appear orange or red.

There is no such thing as a "green" star though. There are illusions caused by stars of two different colors being (visibly to us) very close together, and their combined colors mimic green... a lot like blue and yellow paint mixed together.

Example:

Viewing star color involves the additive primary color spectrum (red, green and blue) instead of the subtractive primary spectrum (magenta, cyan and yellow). This is the same as a computer monitor or TV set.

To make colors other than red, green or blue, two of these are mixed together. For example, red plus green = yellow. Red plus blue = magenta and green plus blue = cyan.

So, as a black body radiator increases in temperature, it's apparent color will change from dull red to bright red, then to yellow (as a result of combining green and red), then finally blue, violet and ultraviolet.

Although there IS green emission, because it's mixed with either red or blue, we can never see PURE green from a black body radiator (although it IS in there... as proven by the fact that using a prism to split "white" sunlight yields the full visible color spectrum, including pure green.
    You are correct. I looked it up and found there is no such thing as a real, green star. It is an illusion, as you say.

I stand corrected.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I was messing around with my photo editor program and made this (a simulation of how Betelgeuse will go supernova):

PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Krupski - is a #10 glass darker than a #14? What I've been hearing is we should use a #14 welder's glass.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

No a 10 is lighter the numbers go up.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Krupski - is a #10 glass darker than a #14? What I've been hearing is we should use a #14 welder's glass.
    A #10 is lighter than a #14... higher number = darker glass.

I already took a quick glance at the sun through the #10 and it's too bright (or not dark enough ).

I might get a #14 or maybe put two #10's together. The #10 works fine, though, for telescope and camera use (that is, camera attached to telescope, NOT eyeball to telescope).

Oxy/acet cutting lenses are #5 but I imagine 14 or higher should be fine

be the heat..

40353227ddb2d62e850fc4564e96512e.jpg ......I just close my eyes, think back to the 70's and boom, instant show.
    Nothing but the finest weapon construction and parts used !

Quote Originally Posted by printerman View Post
    40353227ddb2d62e850fc4564e96512e.jpg ......I just close my eyes, think back to the 70's and boom, instant show.
    Ahhhhhhhh!!! The protomolecule!