Thread: Michelle Carter, who urged her boyfriend to commit suicide, found guilty in his death

Michelle Carter, who urged her boyfriend to commit suicide, found guilty in his death

Michelle Carter, who urged her boyfriend to commit suicide, found guilty in his death

In a landmark case, a Massachusetts judge has ruled that Michelle Carter, who urged her boyfriend through phone calls and text messages to kill himself, is responsible for his death. Bristol County Juvenile Court Judge Lawrence Moniz announced Friday that Carter, 20, is guilty of involuntary manslaughter after placing Conrad Roy III in a situation that led to his suicide in 2014.
    Moniz [the judge], however, focused on Roy’s final moments when he wavered, stepping out of the truck — and Carter told him to “Get back in.” The judge said that although Carter knew Roy was in trouble, she took no action.
    “She admits in a subsequent text that she did nothing — she did not call the police or Mr. Roy’s family,” Moniz said in court. “Finally, she did not issue a simple additional instruction: ‘Get out of the truck.’ ”
    Click the link at the very top for the rest of the story.

OK, now I can't figure this out. In order to be arrested, tried in court and sentenced, I thought a crime had to be committed. That is, some law had to be broken.

Although I agree that what the girl did was shitty beyond belief, I wonder what LAW she broke?

I am not aware of any law that REQUIRES a person to take some action to assist another person.

All too many times, a "good Samaritan" ends up in trouble for trying to help someone, prompting many states to pass "good Samaritan" laws to protect those who try in good faith to help someone else from being sued.

And, everyone knows the saying "no good deed goes unpunished". I've lost count of how many times I've gotten screwed for trying to help someone. Nowadays, I see someone in trouble... sorry not my problem. Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me 100 times, shame on me. I've learned my lesson.

So, yeah that girl did a rotten thing, but WHAT LAW was broken? How or why is she tried and convicted? SHE didn't kill the guy.... SHE didn't force him back into the carbon monoxide filled truck.

I mean... hell COPS (who supposedly used to "protect and serve") have numerous rulings stating that they have no duty to protect or serve anyone. If not them, then why a private citizen?

Just more grease on that slippery slope......

Discuss.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Next time there is a guy on a ledge and a crowd starts to form, if several people yell "JUMP" and he does, they all can be tried for murder.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 08-09-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Not a lawyer but guessing in the state of Massachusetts, this is considered assisted suicide which might be against the law there.

Have to agree with Bishop that this sets a precedent so yelling jump could be considered aiding and abetting a suicide.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

As the article said, the charge was involuntary manslaughter. They somehow made that stick. I suppose as his gf, not just a member of the public, she had a particular influence on him. I agree this is "slipper slope" territory.

Their chats are sickening. She kept egging him on. Also, she fugly.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Who made him read them?

To me chats implies verbal conversations. The guy was weak and she used her Jedi mind tricks.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    I agree. She's a cold, heartless bitch who deserves to be socially ostracized.

But criminally charged (let alone convicted) is a bit much.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I agree with the lot of you. That's one fucked up piece of jurisprudence. How is it manslaughter if you never touch another person with any kind of physical force or duplicity in setting up some motive force, say a booby trap or vehicle driven by you. This ruling is plain scary reaching into 1rst amendment territory. I would hope it gets appealed and a proper court comes to the correct verdict of no sale.