Thread: California Stupidness and Commemorative Pistol Sale

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

California Stupidness and Commemorative Pistol Sale

So, I decided to buy the Colt 1911 NIMITZ commemorative pistol. I am very excited about it. The sad thing is that about half of our crew cannot buy them.

A aircraft carrier has a crew of about 3,000 Sailors, Chiefs and Officers assigned to it. When we get underway we also bring along about another 3,000 Sailors, Chiefs and Officers for the various helicopter and fixed wing plane squadrons. For the NIMTZ, almost all of those squadrons are stationed in California. So, about half of the personnel we have onboard currently are stationed in California.

The problem comes from California's stupid and unconstitutional "Roster of Certified Handguns For Sale in California." While the 1911 meets all of California's unconstitutional restrictions, the Colt 1911 is not on the "Roster" so it cannot be sold or brought into California. In fact, there is not a single Colt handgun that is allowed to be sold or imported into the state. I remember that a few years back Colt decided not to pay California the fee (otherwise known as a bribe) to remain on the "Roster".

So, about half of the Sailors, Chiefs, and Officers deployed with us cannot purchase the pistol. How does the Supreme Court even look at itself in the mirror? How do California politicians?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

yea it sucks, there haven't been new guns added to the roster since the stupid microstamping requirement went into affect. I think our hope is that it get's short enough that it gets struck down in court but its a long fight.

I know what you mean about the colts. They are making a current production blued 70s series that I was interested in but they all dropped off the roster a few years back.

Well to me it seems their plan works. Ban firearms. There has got to be another way
    send them to home ffl's? Something.....
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Well to me it seems their plan works. Ban firearms. There has got to be another way
    send them to home ffl's? Something.....
    There was a loophole that they closed a few years ago where you could bring them in as single shot and then convert them to semi once it's yours

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    So if I understand this correctly, once again Colt Firearms stiffs we the people?

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    So if I understand this correctly, once again Colt Firearms stiffs we the people?
    No, the blame for this rests with the California legislature and by extension the voting public

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    No, the blame for this rests with the California legislature and by extension the voting public
    Exactly. California uses the "Roster" in a pay-to-play scheme against gun manufacturers. If you don't pay to be put on the "Roster" your company cannot sell its goods in the state. California voters elect the politicians who pass these unconstitutional laws so they are at fault. We, in the rest of the country are at fault as well for electing politicians who will nominate and approve judges who rule in favor of the state/federal government when they violate the Constitution, in this case by infringing on the right to keep and bear arms.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Could the Cali guys pay the non-Cali guys whatever it costs to buy extra pistols and have them transferred via FFL to non-Cali family members as gifts? Then whenever the Cali guys move out of Cali the family members can gift them the pistols via FFL transfer again. Probably would be considered a straw purchase, though.
    Last edited by skorpion; 08-17-2017 at 06:41 AM.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Could the Cali guys pay the non-Cali guys whatever it costs to buy extra pistols and have them transferred via FFL to non-Cali family members as gifts? Then whenever the Cali guys move out of Cali the family members can gift them the pistols via FFL transfer again. Probably would be considered a straw purchase, though.
    I think you are right, I think there is a family exemption and there either is or was a law enforcement exemption where police could sell an "off roster" pistol. A bunch of cops have been targeted and some I believe charged for doing this as straw purchases if they are caught buying off roster guns for their friends.

The list gets shorter every year and is now a way to ban handguns almost completely in the state as models drop off. Also any change, even minor ones, will bump a gun off the roster as not the same gun. Even stupid shit like the same model in stainless or carbon steel will require two different lines on the roster. There are no glock Gen 4, no colt models of any kind etc.

I was told the colt issue had to do with a manufacturing change that colt did when they restructured so none of their models were the same as what was already on the roster. You cant add anything now unless it has microstamping.