Thread: After the mag help. I have a q.

After the mag help. I have a q.

What is a great cold blue? I have 5 5 rndrs that would not fit the mag well
    and i had to do some metal work. Wasn't much but I had to file down around the feed lips.
    They are blued Chinese and what do you think?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

No cold blue is really very good for durability.
    Plus unless you're careful the acid in it can actually cause rust to form.

Of the many I've tried over the years, Brownell's Dicropan T4 seems to be the best.
    Unlike most cold blues T4 gives a dark black color, not blue. That seems to blend in better then a blue does.

T4 is one of the more durable types and you can apply multiple coats without the liquid starting to puddle on the surface.
    Clean the parts thoroughly with Acetone, not lacquer thinner. Lacquer thinner still leaves some residue that interferes.
    After a good cleaning, liberally spray the area with 90% alcohol or denatured alcohol and let dry.
    Warm the part with a hair dryer.....WARM not HOT and hair dryer, NOT heat gun or torch. If you get it too warm it actually prevents a good "take" on the steel.
    Apply a liberal coat and give it a minute to work, then flush thoroughly with hot water, dry, spray with alcohol again, warm again and apply another coat.
    Once it's colored well, flush with plenty of hot water, dry and apply your favorite lube to prevent rust.

Another good cold blue is Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. It gives a durable blue color.

Thank you much appreciated.

be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Look at Oxpho Blue Paste from Brownell's. It is quite durable, does not need to be 100% degreased to work either. Warming the metal just a bit makes it work faster.

Thanks guys.

be the heat..

You could also try using a "Sharpie" permanent marker. Not that durable but easily re-applied.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”