Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's in the Path of the Eclipse?

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Cool Who's in the Path of the Eclipse?

My house is in the 92% area. We are going to foolishly make the trip up to Nebraska to get totality. On a good day it's a 3 hour trip to North Platte. Probably going to be closer to 6 hours. But it's a once in a lifetime experience for those of us who are not jet-setters.

I envy those living in the path.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

97% totality here, damn near complete, so I'm not going to bother traveling -- the roads are supposed to be a zoo.

Hotel rooms selling for $700/night around here right now, there's so much demand. It's insane.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Astronomy mag has a widget to show your % of coverage. We are at 97.36%. That is plenty for me and it will be nuts heading
    To the totality zone. They are telling people in the Ga. mtns. to treat it like an long holiday with twice the traffic. There are 200
    million people within a days drive and S.C. is expecting between 600,000 to 2 million people to show up. Wow. My wife has here glasses
    and I have my welding hood. We be ready....
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    97% totality here, damn near complete, so I'm not going to bother traveling -- the roads are supposed to be a zoo.

Hotel rooms selling for $700/night around here right now, there's so much demand. It's insane.
    Take a pic for us will ya?
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Supposed to be 81% totality here. I'm not going anywhere to get a better look. If Helios and Luna wanted me to see them perform, they'd have made sure I had a better seat.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Take a pic for us will ya?
    I'm going to bring my high-end camcorder.

I didn't think ahead to purchase any special lenses or anything, so I'll have to be careful filming the direct sun.

But I should be able to get some good shots close to totality, so I'll try to post some stills once I get back tomorrow.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Nearly 100. My route takes me through Russellville and Hoptown. We are not running those areas tomorrow. Our terminal is just southeast of Nashville. The whole area is expected to be a cluster.

"And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

I'm going to bring my high-end camcorder.

I didn't think ahead to purchase any special lenses or anything, so I'll have to be careful filming the direct sun.

But I should be able to get some good shots close to totality, so I'll try to post some stills once I get back tomorrow.
    Don't point your digital camera at the eclipse if it's not at 100%. You'll fry it.

WWG1WGA

Bad news for me - neither one of my 35mm cameras are working properly. I had planned on driving to just north of Chester, IL, where there is a bluff that lets you look back up the Mississippi to the NW and see the umbra approaching. I also got a sheet of that special film they use to make the lenses in those cardboard glasses and made an aluminum frame to go in my Cokin filter kit. The newer camera has a 70-210mm zoom PLUS a 2x doubler so I could get some decent sized photos.

Talk about disappointed. I'm praying we all have clear skies.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    My house is in the 92% area. We are going to foolishly make the trip up to Nebraska to get totality. On a good day it's a 3 hour trip to North Platte. Probably going to be closer to 6 hours. But it's a once in a lifetime experience for those of us who are not jet-setters.

I envy those living in the path.
    I get 72% totality where I am.

On a related note... BE ABSOLUTELY SURE that your eclipse filter glasses (if you use them) specifically have "ISO 12312-2" (safety standard) printed on them.

DO NOT use any glasses without that certification (especially those cheap-o $2 glasses made in China).

The glasses may "look" dark, but do they stop infrared and ultraviolet radiation (both of which you cannot see)?

For example, camera film made to photograph in infrared cannot be processed in a black plastic tank because ambient IR goes right through the plastic and fogs the film. IR film must be processed in a METAL tank (the point being that even a completely opaque black plastic developing tank does not stop infrared radiation).

If you look at the sun with cheap-o glasses, it will seem dark and your irises will open larger... letting in dangerous infrared radiation that you can't even see... to burn your retina permanently.

Don't take a chance. Either use good quality ISO 12312-2 certified eclipse viewing glasses, or use a pinhole "camera" to project an image of the sun on a floor or wall (completely safe) or use a telescope or spotting scope to PROJECT an image of the sun on a wall or floor (completely safe - but DO NOT look into the telescope - even the little "target finder" scope - ONLY use it to project an image of the sun) or you can use a #14 welding glass filter (no less than 14!!!) and be sure the filter has all the proper ANSI certifications.

You won't get a second chance with your eyes... be careful tomorrow and see for the rest of your life.

Lastly... if you use a telescope to project an image of the sun for viewing, do not leave it unattended. The telescope could possible focus an intensely hot dot of sunlight on a surface and start a fire (or worse, some kid may try to look into the telescope when it's unattended and flash... bye-bye eyeball).
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

I'm bringing and old telephoto lens that will project an image. Even though they say it's ok to look at the sun at totality, it goes against every grain of common sense for me.

WWG1WGA

I might be the only one that doesn't give a shit about this, oddly enough I'm good with that.

All that for a phenomenon that lasts all of 2 minutes 40 seconds!

hahahaha

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

100% and I don't give a damn about it.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Only white people from an article I read. Science you know. https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...ticle-comments
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 08-20-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

For want of something better as an eye shield, a piece of plain glass, smoked over with soot from a candle was once used.

We are in the 72% area, according to the local news, and I'll use my welding helmet as protection.
    Last edited by Gunner1558; 08-21-2017 at 07:13 AM.

Well, that was kind of underwhelming. Just got back.

Even at 97%, there was still too much of a sliver of sun exposed even at peak coverage to get the so-called "crimson corona" and "diamond" effect that is supposed to be so cool to observe with the naked eye at 100% totality.

Kind of disappointed. Feel like I wasted a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, wish I would have traveled the 200 miles to see it in full. (The roads actually weren't as busy as was predicted, just +30% traffic they said, no delays.)

Oh well. I guess the next big one here in the States is coming up in 2024, supposed to cross diagonally from Texas up through Maine. So if you missed it this time, you might be able to enjoy it there, here in awhile.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Wow. Just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Wow. Just wow.
    Did you get to witness the full spectacle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast