Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Navy Ship Involved In Collision

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Second Navy Ship Involved In Collision

What is going on with all these collisions involving our Navy?

I find it hard to believe that someone, on the Navy ship, didn't see this other ship approaching and start avoidance maneuvers, not to mention all the electronics these ships have.

Reminds me of the saying:

Once is an accident; twice is a coincidence; third time is enemy action.

If this happens again, then that saying is probably what's going on here....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.1d737dbf3630
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I doubt it's enemy action. We ran into a fishing boat earlier this year and another ship ran aground. I've been through the Straits of Malacca and it can be very busy. Big ships don't do anything quickly like stop, turn, get out of the way. We're looking at our training but can't do much about the training of commercial crews or other militaries.

I believe there are around 2000 incidents per year, world wide involving at sea collisions.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Maybe a similar explanation?

If nothing showed up on the various sensor arrays used by our ships, that would tell me someone is manipulating them, Russia is a master at electronic warfare and sells the gear on the open market, however they reserve the best for themselves.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Did greenpeace get a court order that they had to turn off their radars too? whales you know.

This is just simple incompetence. The Navy has likely suffered severe degradation under Obama.

One would think a simple deck watch, bridge watch, or whatever it is called using the old fashioned eyesight and binoculars (if needed) would be sufficient. It worked for me as my wife once prevented me from running head on into an oil tanker (in a shipping lane at night going about 22 knots). I believe her alerting comment was a loud "what the fuck are you doing."
    Last edited by jet3534; 08-21-2017 at 02:27 PM.

It's not a detection issue, it's a get out of the way issue. If you have two vessels going in opposite directions at say 15 knots and one veers off course for any reason and crosses into your lane you cover quite e bit of ground in a hurry and you can't just slam on the brakes or veer back into your lane. You should try underway replenishment in rough weather. I can't remember the distance between us but if our ship or the supply ship veered even slightly it would have taken just seconds to collide or part the lines depending on the direction.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I think this is probably the result of more commercial ships being out at sea; More ships=more collision incidents. As someone else also pointed out on this thread, the US Navy can implement whatever policies they want, but they don't have control over what policies/protocols civilian vessels implement.

I was thinking it might have something to do with the name of the Navy ship, too.....

I thought Navy ships were only be named after dead people?....(Could this name be an omen?....)

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I was thinking it might have something to do with the name of the Navy ship, too.....

I thought Navy ships were only be named after dead people?....(Could this name be an omen?....)
    It's not an omen and you don't have to be dead. Different classes of ships have different naming criteria.

They started naming them after living persons in 1975.
    https://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/names.htm

Not everything is a mystery or conspiracy.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I think this is probably the result of more commercial ships being out at sea; More ships=more collision incidents. As someone else also pointed out on this thread, the US Navy can implement whatever policies they want, but they don't have control over what policies/protocols civilian vessels implement.
    Very plausible.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    It's not an omen and you don't have to be dead. Different classes of ships have different naming criteria.

Thanks for the reply. I learned something today....

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post

It's named after douchebag's father AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post

It's named after douchebag's father AFAIK....... But how Giffords rates a ship for getting shot in the head I'll never figure out.

Just read on FNC that individuals are saying that hacking "may" or "could" be a possibility. While it's certainly possible it kind of reminds me of the while, Trump/Russian collusion argument in that it also could be possible just because we've not seen proof it didn't happen. How do you prove something didn't happen?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Was USS John McCain Collision a Cyber Attack?=> Over 1 Million Counterfeit Parts From China Found in US Military Equipment
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017...ary-equipment/

Russia claims to have weapon that could cripple the US Navy
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7693816.html

Now for my take;
    When one walks into the radio room of a modern US destroyer you no longer find racks filled with radios with glowing digital readouts indicating frequency of operation, signal levels, and mode, no. When you walk into that radio room you're greeted with racks of servers running sdr radio gear, sdr being software defined radio. A computer runs the analog(rf) to digital conversion and processes the signals both for transmission and reception. This offers huge benefits in versatility to radio communications at the cost of hugely increased complexity and single point of failure. I'm all for sdr and computers for modulating and demodulating digital and analog signals sent over the airwaves, don't get me wrong. Here's the rub to all this: one country made almost all of this radio gear. That country is not America, it's a tiny country that is situated in the middle east, surrounded by countries less than friendly to it, outnumbered by more than 10 to 1. They make a lot of neat radio gear, drones, small arms, etc. However I'm reminded of the Pollard treason where John Pollard gave this country the entire NATO nuclear battle plan amongst other secrets. This country is then alleged to have sold those secrets to Russia. It wouldn't surprise me to find that this country built back doors into all its exported radio electronics systems and sold the keys to those back doors to our enemies.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

US Navy Suspects USS McCain Collision Was Caused By Cyber Attack
    http://freedomoutpost.com/us-navy-su...-cyber-attack/

Navy Does Not Rule Out Intentional Act in Latest Warship Collision
    http://freebeacon.com/national-secur...hip-collision/

Chief Of Naval Operations "Looking Into" Possibility Ships Were Hacked
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...ps-were-hacked

Ok, then why fire the head of the 7th fleet?

Because the hacking has only been deemed a "possibility" with no evidence or proof. The Admiral is the top guy and overall responsible for the actions and events under his command.

It happens sometimes.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...investigation/

Pretty minor reasons really for letting this one go.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/27/us...d-by-navy.html
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

If it was hack jobs, my guess is they spoofed ais and gps for the localities involved, or a backdoor/vulnerability exploit. This reminds me of 0bama's gift to the people of Iran of the Lockheed Martin RQ-170 Sentinel unmanned aerial vehicle. Either he gave it to them (allowed it to come down) or they (Iran) spoofed gps (via the help of Russian electronic warfare devices) and made the drone think it was back at base, causing it to land.

I mean, it's not like USN has lookouts on watch and radar or anything. Or that maritime law requires ships have navigation lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...ication_system

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    If it was hack jobs, my guess is they spoofed ais and gps for the localities involved, or a backdoor/vulnerability exploit. This reminds me of 0bama's gift to the people of Iran of the Lockheed Martin RQ-170 Sentinel unmanned aerial vehicle. Either he gave it to them (allowed it to come down) or they (Iran) spoofed gps (via the help of Russian electronic warfare devices) and made the drone think it was back at base, causing it to land.

I mean, it's not like USN has lookouts on watch and radar or anything. Or that maritime law requires ships have navigation lights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automa...ication_system
    The video in post #3 explains pretty well how lookouts and navigation lights can fall short. Having stood watch and sat at a radar screen and plotted CPA I can agree with Bracken's assessment.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast