Thread: Any alternatives to firfox for XP64 anymore?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Any alternatives to firfox for XP64 anymore?

I've been looking but there doesn't seem to be any browser support aside from firefox for XP anymore, most I can't even get to install. Any suggestions? WELL BESIDES GET A DIFFERENT OS....... I have 7 and 10, XP is my go to system for gaming ect.

Good luck with the support. MS has been saying for awhile they were pulling the plug. I'm running
    win7pro and it works fine now. I have tried linux on a few occasions but it does not seem to be able to train
    me to use it.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I seem to have the same problems with 7 that I have with XP64 with firefox. I start typing something, what i start typing stops even though I am still typing, then 10 seconds later it completes. Someone is fucking with me. I can guess who.

That sounds like a buffering issue. When is the last time you cleaned your cache and cookies?

be the heat..

How much RAM are you working with? Usually the only time the system will freeze temporarily during routine tasks like that is if the primary memory is exhausted and it's starting to access the paging file (hard drive starts thrashing) instead.

Be advised that both Windows XP and Windows Vista have reached end-of-life support, which means that Microsoft is no longer providing security updates any more. Windows 7 is still going to be supported through January 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet

Which means both OSes are wide open to any future viruses, worms, etc. that could take advantage of all those unpatched security holes as they continue to be discovered. (Which could be another possibility, that malware has infected your system...)
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I've been looking but there doesn't seem to be any browser support aside from firefox for XP anymore, most I can't even get to install. Any suggestions? WELL BESIDES GET A DIFFERENT OS....... I have 7 and 10, XP is my go to system for gaming ect.
    Can't imagine why XP wouldn't support any version of Firefox.

With that said, I'm running a rather old version of Firefox (v38.8.0) because I got sick and tired of the almost daily "updates" that did nothing but add features that I didn't want, didn't like and had to search for info how to turn them off.

Plus, each new "update" broke all the add-ons, requiring me to wait until the add-on author wrote a new version (and some add-on authors got sick of it and stopped supporting Firefox - which is sad since these were VERY useful addons).

Google Chrome seems good, but I really don't want to use any Google product (don't trust them not to spy and record everything I do).

Internet Explorer, besides being non-W3C standards compliant as well as a royal piece of shit, doesn't run on Linux (not that I would use it even if they did have a Linux version).

Safari is... well... Apple. 'nuf said there.

So here I sit, using an outdated version of FF... 'cause there's nothing better available.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    How much RAM are you working with? Usually the only time the system will freeze temporarily during routine tasks like that is if the primary memory is exhausted and it's starting to access the paging file (hard drive starts thrashing) instead.

Be advised that both Windows XP and Windows Vista have reached end-of-life support, which means that Microsoft is no longer providing security updates any more. Windows 7 is still going to be supported through January 2020.

Which means both OSes are wide open to any future viruses, worms, etc. that could take advantage of all those unpatched security holes as they continue to be discovered. (Which could be another possibility, that malware has infected your system...)
    All very good points. I'm sure he's got the same amount of ram as he's always had with that machine, but with continued "updates" from Microshaft and other software, the system gradually becomes more and more bloated, making the once "more than enough ram" into "barely enough ram".

A few horror processes are Norton Antivirus (which should in itself be called a virus because all it does is hog 70% system resources and accomplishes nothing) and Apple shit (for example, Itunes which installs a lot of extra shit in the background like download helpers and update notifiers and DRM encryption checking, etc...).

Windows itself has a LOT of processes that are registry set as "Boot start" or "System start" when they should be set to "Manual start" (so that they get loaded ONLY when needed). A lot of legacy processes remain in Windows that SHOULD be set to "Disabled" but are not.

Running Task Manager will show a whole bunch of running processes, all hogging RAM and CPU, yet probably 1/2 to 2/3 of them are NOT NEEDED or at least to not need to run ALL THE TIME.

Plus, Windows is a great example of entropy. If you don't keep at it regularly (and by that I mean constantly checking for extra loaded crap, drivers and "helpers" that are not needed, etc..), it degrades in performance to the point that the best thing to do is wipe the HDD clean and start over.

Speaking of anti-virus programs, they are 100% WORTHLESS if you are behind a router (which virtually everyone is nowadays). Nobody can get at you from the outside through a router... the only to get a "virus" is to be stupid enough to click on links embedded in emails promising "miracle male enhancement" or other such BS. Don't open any attachment or click on any link that you do not KNOW and/or do not TRUST and you won't get a virus. Simple as that.

I don't use any anti-virus program. I didn't use one even in the past when I ran Windows. I NEVER got a single virus or malware. I used the magical "think before you click" system.....

Or just use Linux instead and fuggetaboutit.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    That sounds like a buffering issue. When is the last time you cleaned your cache and cookies?
    I use run CCleaner regularly cleaning cache. cookies I usually leave because i hate trying to member 180000 usernames and passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

8 GB All true, but 7 and up don't run most of my games, and running an emulator has it's own issues. I run malwarebytes and cc cleaner regularly besides running webroot all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    All very good points. I'm sure he's got the same amount of ram as he's always had with that machine, but with continued "updates" from Microshaft and other software, the system gradually becomes more and more bloated, making the once "more than enough ram" into "barely enough ram".

A few horror processes are Norton Antivirus (which should in itself be called a virus because all it does is hog 70% system resources and accomplishes nothing) and Apple shit (for example, Itunes which installs a lot of extra shit in the background like download helpers and update notifiers and DRM encryption checking, etc...).

Windows itself has a LOT of processes that are registry set as "Boot start" or "System start" when they should be set to "Manual start" (so that they get loaded ONLY when needed). A lot of legacy processes remain in Windows that SHOULD be set to "Disabled" but are not.

Running Task Manager will show a whole bunch of running processes, all hogging RAM and CPU, yet probably 1/2 to 2/3 of them are NOT NEEDED or at least to not need to run ALL THE TIME.

Plus, Windows is a great example of entropy. If you don't keep at it regularly (and by that I mean constantly checking for extra loaded crap, drivers and "helpers" that are not needed, etc..), it degrades in performance to the point that the best thing to do is wipe the HDD clean and start over.

Speaking of anti-virus programs, they are 100% WORTHLESS if you are behind a router (which virtually everyone is nowadays). Nobody can get at you from the outside through a router... the only to get a "virus" is to be stupid enough to click on links embedded in emails promising "miracle male enhancement" or other such BS. Don't open any attachment or click on any link that you do not KNOW and/or do not TRUST and you won't get a virus. Simple as that.

I don't use any anti-virus program. I didn't use one even in the past when I ran Windows. I NEVER got a single virus or malware. I used the magical "think before you click" system.....
    I'm almost at that point of starting all over, But the only problem is when I'm in a browser. It runs my simulations and other games just fine, all other programs run fine. I'm going to try going back to an older version of firefox I guess for starters. I ordered and recieved a new 2TB FireCuda HD and a copy of XPpro 32 just in case to start all over. I don't understand your point about emails? The Nigerian Prince promised me a shit ton of money, he just needed some funds to retrieve it for me. It literally took me 5 minutes longer to type this than it should have due to freezing/lag in having the words show up. I have no unusual HD action going on so I know it's not buffering to/from the HD. It's almost like I have a key logger that is way to obvious(tin foil hat on).

Update... It appears uninstalling the latest version for firefox and installing an older version seems to have fixed the problem at least preliminarily. Just did it have no lagging or freezes so far when they were right off the bat, even waiting 5 seconds before I could pick a site from my bookmarks. Wierd. Latest is supposed to be greatist.

Cool I don't even know how to check my version.......

be the heat..

Still doing it. Guess I'm starting over soon as I get my new copy of XP.

Let me ask pc or lap top. Could it be heat from being dirty? I have a full size tower
    with 4 fans and I vacuum the inside at least once a year. and my tower is a full foot
    off the floor. Well I am not saying you are a slob..........but you are looking for answers.
    Heat kills a computer chip. And I have taken fans off heat sinks before.

Make damn sure that new copy comes with the service packs.
    Last edited by l921428x; 08-24-2017 at 11:28 PM.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Cool I don't even know how to check my version.......
    In Firefox? Up top, click "Help", then "About Firefox". Should see something like this: