Thread: New Sig P-229 Stainless Elite

New Sig P-229 Stainless Elite

I've been toying with buying one of these for quite some time now. I already have the P-226 Stainless Elite, and a P-226 SCT, and I really love both of them. I think the Stainless Elite is one of the most beautifully crafted pistols around. What's held me off are 2 things. One is cost, (these things aren't cheap). The other is finding one. It seems now that Sig has started making the Elite models with Aluminum frames, that's all you can find out there.

The P-229 Stainless Elite models that have both a Stainless frame and slide are becoming more expensive, and harder to obtain. I've even heard that Sig is phasing them out of production. They are not shown on Sig's website any longer. Only the Aluminum framed Elite's. They are not calling them Stainless Elite's any more either. You can tell the difference by the color. On the Aluminum framed models the color of the slide and frame don't match. They also have grips with the Sig medallion in silver. The all Stainless Elite's have "Sig Sauer" engraved into the wood itself with no medallion.

I think Sig is making a big mistake here, in discontinuing the all Stainless Steel Elite. People like the Stainless framed Elite's because they represent the high watermark of the Sig line, as far as quality and durability. Another negative they are going to have to overcome, is now they're charging as much, or in some cases like with the Legion models, even more for the Aluminum framed Elite's. Aluminum is much faster, cheaper, and easier to machine. And the tooling lasts forever. So if anything the guns should be less expensive.... Not more. (In comparison a full size Beretta Brigadier Inox Stainless slide / Aluminum frame 92 FS goes for around $860.00 out the door around here).

Anyway, I was just about ready to give up on getting an all Stainless P-229. Enter Cabela's. I saw they were showing them to be, "in stock" at the Glendale Cabela's by me for $1,179.99. Not too bad.

SIG Sauer® P229® Pistols : Cabela's

Especially when a local LGS in my neighborhood is selling one for $1,248.95.

AZFirearms - Sig Sauer P229 Elite in 9mm Semi Auto Pistol - New

So I called Cabela's to check stock before I drove over. And much to my surprise they not only told me they had 4 in stock, but they were also closeout priced for just $1,061.88! Because according to the guy I spoke with, they can no longer order any more of them. This also coincides with what I read as far as Sig getting away from the all Stainless frame and slide Elite's, and going to the cheaper Aluminum frame models.

And to sweeten the pot even more, I had a "$20.00 Off" coupon they had sent me, which knocked it down to $1,041.88. So I jumped in my truck, drove over, got in line, and grabbed one. The gun comes with 2, 15 round magazines, and is just beautiful. If it runs as good as my other 2 P Models, I'll be a happy camper!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Congratulations! I just got my first SIG last week, an M11A1. I could see myself getting a few more models.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You're killing me. Been wanting a P229 for a long time. Seeing that one makes me want to make a trip to the local Cabela's.