Thread: Collections I haven't started collecting yet

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Collections I haven't started collecting yet

Over the years I've thought about collecting a few firearms for one reason or another but just never got around to it. Maybe I have or had a single example but never got around to acquiring other examples.

Usually it's been a firearm I thought looked cool or I found the design interesting and they usually weren't "high dollar". Some examples are:

Remington 870

Dad has one he bought about 1960 or so. I've hunted with it and have my own now. Just love the platform. Always thought I'd like to have a Wingmaster in different grades and gauges, 12, 16, 20, 28, .410 as well as cop guns, the marine magnum, etc.

Remington Model 8 & 81

What can I say, just think they are neat. Not a lot of variety, caliber wise but they had different grades and different features including a law enforcement model and I think, takedowns.

Savage 99

Again, I just think they look pretty slick and there are plenty of variations, grades and calibers to keep things interesting.

I realize these aren't cool or historic collections like say, Lugers or Winchester lever guns or Colt SAA but I find them interesting and except for maybe a couple rare variations they wouldn't cost an arm and a leg for even mint examples. So what collections don't you have?
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 08-31-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I'm in the boat of finding Winchester 07's , Remington NO.8's , a good take-down Savage 99 .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Don't really collect a series or a certain theme. If I like the looks of it, I'll try to get it. I have a few SK's (paratrooper models), and a couple of Hi-Point carbines, quite a few Ruger SA's, a C-96 (9 mm.), a Kel-Tec KSG and SU-2000, and one of my favorites, a Belgian-made 4 ga. elephant rifle. Oh yeah, and a custom S&W Model 29 with 3 in.barrel and unfluted cylinder and a 629 Classic with an 8 3/8" barrel. I did manage to get a 6" barrel from Bond arms for my Defender (they were only selling the 6" barrels, by themselves, for about a week), otherwise, you have to buy the whole gun for the 6" barrel.

I was going to collect the Taurus Judge series of cylinder carbines, but haven't bought the .44 mag. version yet. I have the .410/.45 and the .22LR/.22 Mag. versions.

Other than that, nothing overly spectacular, just stuff I liked the looks of....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

i want one of those new threaded hi-point 9mm carbines to suppress.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    i want one of those new threaded hi-point 9mm carbines to suppress.
    Hummm, I didn't know their barrels were threaded. May have to look into that. Thanks for the info.

However, I can't stand the design of their new, cut-out stocks. I like the older ones better.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I'm sure there are collections I haven't started yet ... but I find that if I buy a brand or something and like it, they typically have other simuler platforms that I like. Most recently CZ ... years ago I bought a 52 and that was the only one I had for 20 or so years, then a few years back I picked up an 82 or 84 ... maybe it was an 83 ... I don't remember but it was 380 and I just didn't care for it that much and it sat in the safe. Then a couple years ago they came out with the EVO and I loved it and picked up a 61 in 380 and while I'm not real happy with the round, the gun itself is cool so I picked up one in the original caliber of 32S&W ... then a Bren 805 and while it's heavy it's very nice and I heard a rumor that there was going to be a caliber conversation in 7.62x39 but like most caliber conversions it hasn't materialized but earlier this week I added a 75 TS and I suspect there will be other 75' in the stable zoo as this one is like a natural extension of my arm.

Likewise with the Cobray M11 ... I bought a transferable FA and while waiting I've picked up a semi with the LAGE upper and lately a "regular" pistol.

Yeah, I'm guilty and I won't even go into the AK's, HK's, Colts, AR's and SiG's

What can I say, it's a sickness!
    Last edited by kimberkid; 09-03-2017 at 06:10 PM.