Thread: 10 Tips fpr Handloading Safety

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post 10 Tips fpr Handloading Safety

After today, it's all historical.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I agree with their top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    I wouldn't dare reload my own ammo. I'm the kind of person who likes to experiment... and you know where that would lead.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Great rules, I can expand a little on them already covered in a general sense.

One caliber at a time, one set of components at a time. Nothing from memory no I think this is the right powder, primer bullet, oal etc, even if I've loaded thousands before, book is open to the recipe I am using and all contents on the table are checked.

No alcohol, not even a little.

Wife does not talk to me when I am reloading, pretend I'm not home, now is not the time to bitch that the garbage need to go out, garage is of fucking limits
    Last edited by NAPOTS; 09-13-2017 at 10:40 AM.

>Sometimes Maximum is Too Much
    >Just because a load is listed as “maximum” in a load manual doesn’t mean it is safe in your firearm. Variations exist from gun to gun. Some guns have minutely tighter chambers, and some have infinitesimally smaller bores. Both factors mean the pressure generated will be higher, and both are almost impossible to measure beforehand. Always start with suggested starting loads or reduce maximum loads by 10 percent, and then work up. If at any time you exceed the published maximum velocity or begin to see signs of excessive pressure, stop, back off the load a bit, and continue testing.

Your components are not the same as the tested components (different lot number of powder, different bullet (or, almost certainly, a different lot of bullets where the swage dies could have been replaced), different cases, different brand of primers (again, unlikely to even by the same lot number). Your max load has very little to do with their max load as ANYONE can verify simply by comparing manuals. You should check several sources and start at the lowest START load and work up. If you see signs of excessive pressure, STOP, breakdown those loads and any heavier loads and look at your data to determine the load or if the powder/bullet is even up to what you want. Don't just back down and continue testing, which implies working up the load.
    Beyond that, it appears to be a Hornady advertisement. I'll take my Co-Ax over almost any other single-stage press ever made.
    Last edited by noylj; 10-19-2017 at 12:48 AM.