I phone

The Xcrement is out. 1000 dollars for a phone that did not work when
    shown off.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I can't imagine any phone costing $1000, period.

It's just a frigging phone. Yeah, apps are great, but none of them are worth that much money. IF you need a small computer, buy an iPad, or something like that, then buy a $79 phone if you feel the need to talk to someone.

$1000 is beyond ridiculous.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I can't imagine any phone costing $1000, period.

It's just a frigging phone. Yeah, apps are great, but none of them are worth that much money. IF you need a small computer, buy an iPad, or something like that, then buy a $79 phone if you feel the need to talk to someone.

$1000 is beyond ridiculous.
    no interest at that or any other price.

at a certain point they are going to run out of features to add and will be selling gimmicks like friendly translucent desktop computers.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Actually when you consider it, granted it is tiny, but it still a hand held computer capable of much of what you can do on your desk top or laptop, except that unlike your desktop computer it has a fairly high quality camera built into it as well as enough that although it sounds absurdly expensive, when you break it down it's capabilities are amazing. This can be said for any of what we call wireless "smart phone" today.

Why so expensive when not looking at the technology? Just look at the name - Apple which has always been more expensive than anything else in it's class.

I do agree with alismith that if you don't need the hand held go anywhere computer, a cheap flip phone and an iPad will work just fine for a lot less money.

Not too long ago I was a flip phone person but my daughter dragged me kicking and screaming into the smart phone era. Now that I have one I am really happy. It is so nice to send or receive text messages without having to actually speak to someone. Usually I am not obligated to answer immediately and the text is a record of that we actually said.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Not too long ago I was a flip phone person but my daughter dragged me kicking and screaming into the smart phone era. Now that I have one I am really happy. It is so nice to send or receive text messages without having to actually speak to someone. Usually I am not obligated to answer immediately and the text is a record of that we actually said.
    To be fair though, you don't need a $1000 "smart phone" for that. Any old $30 "dumb phone" can voice and text message, with built-in QWERTY keyboard and everything.

It's just if you need mobile Interwebz and all those fancy apps that spy on you, where a "smart phone" comes in handy.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    shown off.
    From what I heard on Rush, today, the phone worked as it was supposed to. The guy showing it off didn't know that it was already programmed to recognize another person's face and when he tried to turn it on, it didn't register his face as the one who was authorized to use it. So, it turned itself off and wouldn't turn on for him. Actually, the phone did was it was designed to do. It was designed to not turn on for the wrong face....and it didn't.

The guy who had programmed it, did get it turned on, but the media had already left and printed that it failed to turn on. The Media hates Apple almost as much as they hate Trump.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    shown off.
    I do not own a "smart phone". Never did, and never will. I do have an ancient "flip phone" that can --- amazingly --- make PHONE calls. That's it.

And, if I ever DID want a "smart phone", the LAST brand I would buy would be Apple. With an IPhone, you can't add memory, you can't replace the battery, you can't do anything other than use it until it dies.

I've always hated Apple's "sealed box" designs (even with MAC computers).

Apple? No thanks.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    I do not own a "smart phone". Never did, and never will. I do have an ancient "flip phone" that can --- amazingly --- make PHONE calls. That's it.

And, if I ever DID want a "smart phone", the LAST brand I would buy would be Apple. With an IPhone, you can't add memory, you can't replace the battery, you can't do anything other than use it until it dies.

I've always hated Apple's "sealed box" designs (even with MAC computers).

Apple? No thanks.
    Ditto!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”