Thread: Question for you Navy Guys, on the Last Ship?

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Question Question for you Navy Guys, on the Last Ship?

Last Week on the last Ship, Chandler was Sworn back on to Active Duty, knowing that there are 2 other O6 captains on the Ship, is there any reason why he is not wearing his Eagles(Rank) on his Collar? Why is he walking around like an E-1? Does it have to do with more than one Captain on the Ship? or did Hollywood screw up again? Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I am Canadian navy so cant help you on rank... I have no idea of the US system.

Aren't they the last survivors in the world or something? I never watched the show but i would imagine there are a lot more things to be concerned about then that. The thing that pops into my head right off the top is that their fuel is at least 4 years old now and still works.

Is it a good show? Worth watching?
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

You are missing a good show. Get Season 1 and 2 and catch up. No they are not the last ship in the World. They are the only ones that were not infected in the first season. No they refuel on a steady basis, they last refueled in Spain. Now they are fighting a different Plague .
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I'll check it out.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Haven't watched much of it this season but Chandler was the CNO when he left at the end of last season. IIRC he was still an 06 as CNO but not 100% sure. My guess is they just don't have an extra set of uniforms and insignia at the moment. Running into him was unplanned. I need to catch back up on this season.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have never seen the show so I am answering about what is true, not what is Hollywood.

Chandler would be brought back in as a Captain not as an enlisted person. As a Captain he should be wearing his eagles.

The CNO (Chief of Naval Operations) is a 4 star Admiral, not a Captain. My last job was on CNO's staff, working for a 3 star Admiral who was an Deputy CNO. All the Deputy CNOs branch heads were Captains or Commanders who were selected for Captain and just waiting to be promoted.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    I have never seen the show so I am answering about what is true, not what is Hollywood.

Chandler would be brought back in as a Captain not as an enlisted person. As a Captain he should be wearing his eagles.

The CNO (Chief of Naval Operations) is a 4 star Admiral, not a Captain. My last job was on CNO's staff, working for a 3 star Admiral who was an Deputy CNO. All the Deputy CNOs branch heads were Captains or Commanders who were selected for Captain and just waiting to be promoted.
    Correct. The show is pretty loose with it's depictions. Looking back at the various photos online I found Capt. Chandler in uniform as a Commander (05) and then a couple as Captain (06). Since the show is a TEOTWAWKI scenario I think they made him an 06 as CNO. I used to work for a one star which I believe back then was a Rear Admiral Lower Half. Pulled a protective detail for CNET Stagerholm back in 1984, he was a Vice Admiral (09). Highest rank I ever had any dealings with.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Looks like I was sort of right, it was Hollywood being Hollywood, screwing up as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    Looks like I was sort of right, it was Hollywood being Hollywood, screwing up as usual.
    the show has the cooperation of the Navy and Navy Advisors. You can't compare TODAY with a Dystopian Post apocalyptic FUTURE setting. If anything, if most of the world's population is DEAD, then resupply of the right uniforms is LOW on your priority list.