Thread: Hams: Antenna / Ground question

Hams: Antenna / Ground question

Hey,

I want to put an end fed antenna in my attic using a balun. The setup I'm using requires a good ground (that is, a good RF ground).

I've got cast iron sewer pipe that goes all the way from below ground up through my attic (looks like this):

Since this is a nice solid piece of metal and since it is well buried in the ground, do you think it would make a good ground (counterpoise) for the longwire antenna?

The part in the attic, of course, carries no sewage - it's only a vent, and I plan to drill and tap maybe a 1/4-20 hole in it and use it to mount the balun and connect the ground, then run the longwire out the rear of the attic and to a tree about 50-some feet away.

Is using this pipe as a ground a good idea?

Opinions please.

Thanks.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Is this pipe grounded into/with your house plumbing. I am not sure what I am trying to convey in tech terms
    but you are adding a way for lightening to enter your home. But yeah it is grounded very well.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Yeah what he said. A long ground stake or a couple short ones have always worked for me.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

What's wrong with getting a 3-4' section of metal pipe and banging it into the ground, outside, and running a ground wire from your antenna to that? Using standoffs, of course.
    Last edited by alismith; 09-23-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

It will work but the effort may result in a lot of in house rfi as the ground pipe will be the other half of the antenna system. Might be better from rfi standpoint to do a dipole in the attic with the pipe as a ground at the feedpoint as balanced antennas usually have reduced rfi over say a long wire. But try it any way you can and I bet you'll find something that works for ya.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Well if we still had metal screens on our homes you could use a wire attached to the screen.
    We did it when I was a kid........J/K

be the heat..

I used the steel I-Beam for the garage door as ground for an electric (bush wacker) fence for my garden and I got zapped many times. If you have a steel I-Beam in your home can you use that for ground?

I am not really sure he wants to have electrical shock treatments but you can never tell about some here.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by 7days View Post
    I used the steel I-Beam for the garage door as ground for an electric (bush wacker) fence for my garden and I got zapped many times. If you have a steel I-Beam in your home can you use that for ground?
    If the I beam is used for supporting the house over the garage, the beam's not grounded save for via the concrete blocks, wich aren't very conductive. The beam could be considered an ungrounded conductor.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Is this pipe grounded into/with your house plumbing. I am not sure what I am trying to convey in tech terms
    but you are adding a way for lightening to enter your home. But yeah it is grounded very well.
    Well, the iron pipe is the sewer pipe (the toilets empty into it). It is a continuous run (that is, segments "plugged into" each other) from the roof to underground and to the main sewer line.

Being a 6 inch diameter pipe, it's certainly got low DC resistance and certainly a good intimate contact with earth ground. It is, however quite long (from underground up through the attic of a two story house). Length matters with RF, so I'm not sure if it will be a good counterpoise.

What I ultimately want is an all-band (at least 80M to 15 or 10M) antenna made from a single long wire that isn't a 1/4 wavelength at any frequency of interest (I've got a table of "good" lengths) and then drive it with the balun.

Of course, I want the antenna as high as possible (which for me is from the rear face of the attic to a large tree which is about 30 feet higher than the attic).

No matter what I use for ground / counterpoise, it has to reach from attic to ground. No way around that unless the antenna is mounted near the ground and slopes way up to the tree (which I think would hurt performance).

Quote Originally Posted by 7days View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    If the I beam is used for supporting the house over the garage, the beam's not grounded save for via the concrete blocks, wich aren't very conductive. The beam could be considered an ungrounded conductor.
    A huge steel I-beam supports the house (it's in the basement), but it's not grounded. It protrudes through the concrete floor of the basement, but how far down it goes I have no idea and I would assume it's either not grounded at all or else it's a poor ground. I wouldn't try to use it for a ground.