Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming Full Circle

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Coming Full Circle

About 31 years ago I reported to my first ship. For the first few months I was the youngest person on board and for about 2 years I was the youngest person in my department. Today, while serving on my last ship, I became the oldest person onboard. I thought that was pretty cool.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

That's pretty awesome! A lifetime of experiences I'm sure. I've been reading a lot lately about the Navy, mostly WWII. Off track here but I never realized how much the PT boats did both in the Mediterranean and Pacific! Very interesting. How many ships did you serve on and at what capacity?

Serve with pride, brother!
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Nice. That time probably flew by.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Thank you for your service. That is cool.
    My dad was in the Navy in the late 50s. He spent some time serving on the USS Linnette. It was a mine sweeper.. I found a pic of it on google, but it's whereabouts are unknown.

Cool beans. I just told my wife and she asked me what you are as far as rank and designation. So what are they if you are at liberty to say.
    Last edited by l921428x; 09-26-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    The first thing that came to mind this morning was to day....

"Took you a long time to make rate,....."
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Funny how life does that. Congrats on such great service and THANK YOU for serving for such a long time!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    That's pretty awesome! A lifetime of experiences I'm sure. I've been reading a lot lately about the Navy, mostly WWII. Off track here but I never realized how much the PT boats did both in the Mediterranean and Pacific! Very interesting. How many ships did you serve on and at what capacity?
    I am reading about the Guadalcanal Campaign in a book called "Neptune's Inferno". Amazing things done by each side to keep ship's afloat to win battles and ultimately the war.

This is my 10th sea tour. I have served on submarines (fast attacks and Tridents), a nuclear cruiser, and 5 aircraft carriers. I started as an unqualified electrician on a submarine, worked my way to being the Leading Chief Petty Officer and then got commissioned. Now I am the Chief Engineer of a nuclear aircraft carrier leading the 4th largest department on the ship. My first division had 15 other Sailors, including our Chief, my department has about 260 Sailors, 12 Officer ranging in rank from CWO2 to Lieutenant Commander, and another 14 Chiefs, Senior Chiefs and a Master Chief. It has been a great career. I am both excited and sad to see it coming to an end.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Nice. That time probably flew by.
    The first 20 years took about 20 years. Since I have been eligible to retire the last 13 years have taken about 6 days! I figure as long as the Navy keeps offering me fun jobs there is no reason to stop!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Cool beans. I just told my wife and she asked me what you are as far as rank and designation. So what are they if you are at liberty to say.
    I am a Commander and my designation is a Nuclear Limited Duty Officer. When I was enlisted I was a nuclear trained Electrician's Mate and I was promoted to Senior Chief (E8) prior to my getting commissioned as a LDO.

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

That is truly an incredible career Sir. Kudo's to you and thanks for being the backbone of protection and also the Marines Uber. On the note of books, I'm just about done on "the taking of K-129" Very interesting read about the CIA. Navy and Howard Hughes grabbing a Golf Russian Sub from 3 miles down back in the 70's. Though you probably know all about it. Man I would pick your brain to hear all the cool stuff and experiences you had sitting having a beer.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

That's pretty cool. Awesome career. Something to be really proud of.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Congratulations Chuck! If I haven't in the past allow me to also say thank you for your service and your sacrifice!
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

As you are on active Duty, how did the Navy react as a whole on 18 August, when they found my Uncles Ship. the U.S.S. Indianapolis CA-35. My Dad turned 88 on Friday, I am so glad they found her while he is still Alive, and I was able to tell him. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Question

Perhaps you knew my younger Brother Roger Truitt, He started in 1978, went to Idaho also, became some sort of Nuclear Guy like yourself, and served for 23 Years, He made it to S.C.P.O./E-8 like you before he had 20 Years in. I begged him to stay Enlisted as we have never had an E-9 in our Family. He also became an LDO like your self, but only made it to LT./0-3, before retiring at 23 Years in 2001. He loved Charleston Naval Yard, and now lives in Ladson, not far from Goose Creek. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Thank you Commander. Proud to have you as a board friend and tell your people
    our support NEVER ends.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    About 31 years ago I reported to my first ship. For the first few months I was the youngest person on board and for about 2 years I was the youngest person in my department. Today, while serving on my last ship, I became the oldest person onboard. I thought that was pretty cool.
    That IS cool. It's amazing how things turn around.

Thanks for all you have done and all you will do. You deserve all the respect you get.

It was great meeting with you a couple of times and firing off a few rounds, too. Doc says, "Hi."
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    As you are on active Duty, how did the Navy react as a whole on 18 August, when they found my Uncles Ship. the U.S.S. Indianapolis CA-35. My Dad turned 88 on Friday, I am so glad they found her while he is still Alive, and I was able to tell him. Paul
    We are deployed right now so we didn't find out about it for a week or so after it happened. For the most part we thought finding it was cool, but with us focused on keeping the ship sailing and planes in the air, we didn't have much time to do much else. I am glad they found her. It will be interesting what we learn from her.

Perhaps you knew my younger Brother Roger Truitt, He started in 1978, went to Idaho also, became some sort of Nuclear Guy like yourself, and served for 23 Years, He made it to S.C.P.O./E-8 like you before he had 20 Years in. I begged him to stay Enlisted as we have never had an E-9 in our Family. He also became an LDO like your self, but only made it to LT./0-3, before retiring at 23 Years in 2001. He loved Charleston Naval Yard, and now lives in Ladson, not far from Goose Creek. Paul
    I don't think I ever ran across him, but I bet I know people (besides you!) who know him. The nuclear community is not all that large so if I don't know a nuclear Sailor, I generally can find people who know the Sailor without trying to hard!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Thank you Commander. Proud to have you as a board friend and tell your people
    our support NEVER ends.
    Thanks!

NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast