Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newt Gingrich Calls for New Gun Laws

Angry Newt Gingrich Calls for New Gun Laws

In light of the deadliest mass shooting in US history taking place this week, many are criticizing current gun laws and calling for increased weapon regulations — and though it may seem unlikely, one of such critics is influential conservative Newt Gingrich.

While appearing on Fox News, Gingrich advocated for stricter firearm laws that would make rapid-fire gun modifications illegal, such as the bump-stock the Las Vegas shooter reportedly used. While a staunch Second Amendment supporter, the former speaker of the house justified this new position against the firearm attachments by saying “as technology changes… rules [have] to catch up.”

In a lengthy segment, Grinch attempted to straddle both support for some gun control while also defending the Second Amendment:

“I also think some of the technology has to be looked at… Look, if there is something that makes it easy to convert a semi-automatic into an automatic, maybe that does have to be looked at and put under the federal firearms act which makes it illegal to have a genuinely automatic weapon. I think this is as technology changes, sometimes we have to change the rules to catch up with those technologies. There is a new technology, which is relatively cheap, that enables you to take a semi automatic weapon and convert it into an automatic weapon, which is illegal. It strikes me as a practical common sense thing that we ought to find some way to make — take that particular device and make it part of the illegal to have an automatic weapon.”
    https://www.mediaite.com/tv/gingrich...nge-the-rules/

Newt...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

How did you post this without wetting your pants?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Like I said before. Most of the GOP will now start to sell us out. Newt is a POS. Look at how (as Speaker of the House) he caved when Clinton shut down the Government. Clinton called his bluff and Newt pissed his pants.

The GOP - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Although he leans left, I think LAGC probably supports the 2nd Amendment more than many mainstream Republicans. He is just pointing out that the Newt (like many of his GOP ilk) is a shit eater.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Although he leans left, I think LAGC probably supports the 2nd Amendment more than many mainstream Republicans. He is just pointing out that the Newt (like many of his GOP ilk) is a shit eater.
    At the rich satanist parties these guys go to they eat shit off a silver platter. Also, newt has always been a rino.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    It sucks too, because once I ever do get my full civil rights restored, all the fun toys and accessories will probably be banned, the way it's looking...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

And now Feinswine is introducing a bill to ban bump stocks and trigger cranks:

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a longtime advocate of stricter gun control measures, introduced a bill Wednesday that would ban the sale and possession of bump-stock equipment and other devices that essentially turn a semiautomatic weapon into an automatic one.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) told reporters Tuesday that multiple bump stocks were found in the hotel room used by the shooter, who opened fire during the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival on Sunday, killing 58 people and injuring over 500 others.

According to a copy of the bill text provided to ABC, it would go into effect 180 days after its passage.

“It shall be unlawful for any person to import, sell, manufacture, transfer or possess, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, a trigger crank, a bump-fire device or any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle but not convert the semiautomatic rifle into a machine gun,” the bill states.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/sen-f...ry?id=50276506

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Again, only when they make murder illegal will these killings stop. Why don't they just make one common sense law banning the murder of other people?

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

RIP bump fire stocks....
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

If they make everything like that illegal to possess , the property owners will have to be compensated and that opens a whole new can of worms.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    What a fucking moron...

Quote Originally Posted by Newt Gingrich
    I also think some of the technology has to be looked at… Look, if there is something that makes it easy to convert a semi-automatic into an automatic, maybe that does have to be looked at and put under the federal firearms act which makes it illegal to have a genuinely automatic weapon. I think this is as technology changes, sometimes we have to change the rules to catch up with those technologies. There is a new technology, which is relatively cheap, that enables you to take a semi automatic weapon and convert it into an automatic weapon, which is illegal.
    First of all, lots of rifles ARE easy to convert to full auto. It's inherent in the basic design. No way to change that.

Secondly, the shooter didn't have "converted" rifles, he used (completely legal) bump stocks.

Bump firing (by hand or with a bump stock) is not "new technology", it's really just a "shooting style".

Lastly, bump firing or a bump stock does not "convert it [a rifle] into an automatic weapon", so go ahead Newt and make machineguns illegal (and don't worry about the "NFA loophole" that allows people to own pre--1986 full autos). To my knowledge, NOT A SINGLE CRIME has ever been committed by a person having a legal NFA full auto.
    Last edited by Krupski; 10-04-2017 at 02:55 PM. Reason: typo
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    If they make everything like that illegal to possess , the property owners will have to be compensated and that opens a whole new can of worms.
    What do you mean "will have to"?

All they need to do is make certain items illegal, then demand confiscation. When it's challenged in court as unconstitutional, all the judge needs to do is say "Constitution? What's that? Original ruling sustained".

Then, all you can do is surrender the stuff or else shoot the people who come to take it.

I'm sure the government thugs will be more than happy to accommodate the "over my dead body" and the "from my cold dead hands" people because most gun owners will chicken out and surrender, the few remaining "real Americans" will be exterminated.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    RIP bump fire stocks....
    I bump fire "by hand" (that is, don't use a special stock). What then? Another "loophole"?

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    How do you know that he didn't?

Then, all you can do is surrender the stuff or else shoot the people who come to take it.

NY's Safe act compliance is like what 5% ?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    What a fucking moron...

First of all, lots of rifles ARE easy to convert to full auto. It's inherent in the basic design. No way to change that.

Secondly, the shooter didn't have "converted" rifles, he used (completely legal) bump stocks.

Bump firing (by hand or with a bump stock) is not "new technology", it's really just a "shooting style".

Lastly, bump firing or a bump stock does not "convert it [a rifle] into an automatic weapon", so go ahead Newt and make machineguns illegal (and don't worry about the "NFA loophole" that allows people to own pre--1986 full autos). To my knowledge, NOT A SINGLE CRIME has ever been committed by a person having a legal NFA full auto.
    On yesterday's Rush Limbaugh show, he said that, since 1934, or 1938 (I forget which year), only 3 crimes have ever been committed by legally owned machine guns. He didn't go into any specifics....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    What do you mean "will have to"?

All they need to do is make certain items illegal, then demand confiscation. When it's challenged in court as unconstitutional, all the judge needs to do is say "Constitution? What's that? Original ruling sustained".

I'm sure the government thugs will be more than happy to accommodate the "over my dead body" and the "from my cold dead hands" people because most gun owners will chicken out and surrender, the few remaining "real Americans" will be exterminated.
    The last paragraph I think describes what is coming.

Since 1934 only three crimes have been committed by legally owned full-auto firearms.

TWO OF THE THREE were murders committed by POLICE OFFICERS.
    One was to kill a witness against him for having committed other crimes, and the other was to kill a competitor in a drug business the cop was running.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Salamander Gingrich has always been a neo-con pos. No surprises here.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

I have asked this many of times and have never found an answer. What is a neocon, when did they show up and what are the differences
    in party position.

As far as bump stocks and cranks, you know as well as I that they have always on the fringe of
    "legal" items.

And as far as your opinion on Newt you are wrong.
    Last edited by l921428x; 10-04-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast