Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 22 Pros? Cons?

Glock 22 Pros? Cons?

I have a chance at a good deal on a used glock 22. I dont know anything about them. Please help......

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    well, anything you can say about glocks obviously applies to the 22. They're not the best if you plan on reloading the ammo, as lead bullets are not advised and they tend to bulge the fired cases. I have two, I like them but don't shoot them very well.

Depends on the price. Unless like new... I wouldn't pay more than 350 for a used one. As for Glocks overall... goes boom every time and is, at the least, combat accurate.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

im not a fan of the glocks. i always wanted one untill i got one. just dont like to shoot it.

that said, the 22 was what i chose. wanted something in a 40 s&w, the full size is nice to hold, compared to the compacts and subcompacts, and i always prefer a full size barrel to get more of the potential out of a round.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

I have a Glock 19. It has worked flawlessly. My brother has a 22 and a 27. They have both worked flawlessly.

With that said, here is my much opinionated list of pros and cons that is based mostly on 2nd-hand information I've read on the internet.

Cons:
    -The frame was built for the 9mm round and the excess power of the .40 may be to blame for most of the frame failures (4th gen frames are beefed up)
    -Some people don't like the recoil of the .40 cal Glocks and describe them as too "snappy", even compared to a .45. I can notice the difference, but since I've only run a few mags through a G22 it never got to me.
    -I've heard of malfunctions when people mount lights to the frame rail (apparently the new 4th gen models have addressed this)
    -Cost of ammunition (Compare .40 ammo prices to 9mm. If this is just meant to be a fun range gun you could easily blow through whatever money you saved on this deal before you shoot even 1000 rds
    -Slightly worse capacity compared to 9mm (But at the same time it is better than .45)

Pros:
    -More powerful than 9mm (though some would say with modern ammo the difference is negligible)
    -More capacity than .45
    -Widely used by law enforcement (gotta count for something)
    -It is still a Glock, so as long as you don't stick some questionable reloads in it and try to blow it up the gun will run well
    Last edited by 6gunsal; 10-26-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6gunsal View Post
    I just don't know about the .40 Glocks. Unless you were getting a new 4th gen with the beefier recoil spring, I would go with 9mm. The .40 cal Glocks are the ones that seem to have the problems.
    Damn, I wanted a .40 too, im tired of 9mm. But so far nobody is wowed by the glocks.

I will elaborate more on my Glock experience...

I have owned 20 Glocks of various calibers and sizes. I have five now... 17, 19, 22, 23, and a 27. The only reason I ever sold any of them as I was offered more than I had in them. I have carried a Glock 22 or 27 every single day, except when I was in Mexico for 2 weeks, for the last 15 years. My department issues them. In 15 years, the M22 I am issued is the second one. I carried the first one for 10 years. It was issued to another officer 3 years prior to me. I averaged 600 rounds per month with it. Let's see... 600 rounds a month for 12 months is 7200 rounds per year. Over 10 years, I put 72,000 total rounds down that Glock 22 and it is unknown how many before I got it. During that time, we carried the 180gr round and the 180 is known for battering Glocks pretty bad. The only real failure I ever had was when the extractor finally wore out about 6 months before we got new ones. The one I have now averages about the same round count per month and never a failure. We now shoot 165gr Federal Tactical. That round through the Glock 22 is point of aim through windshield glass consistently. Most of my other Glocks, except the 27, are NIB as I just always use the issue one. The 27 has also performed flawlessly but a considerably lower round count. To me… Glocks are comfortable and easy to shoot. Yes… for some shooters… they are a little awkward and some never learn to shoot them well. If you grew up shooting the 1911 with it’s 103 degree angle, it will feel odd and shoot as bit high. If you are used to a Luger angled grip, 109 to 110 degrees… no problem. Glocks are utterly reliable and the accuracy is better than average. No, you will not be shooting in the same league as the race guns but it will do. I have shot stock competition and never lost because my Glock was less accurate than the competition. If you get a new Glock… get one with the standard cheap sights and replace them with something other than they put on them. They offer their own brand of night sights and the Trijicons. I do not have experience with the Glock NS but have never been happy with the Trijicons. I put Meprolight on my personal Glocks and they are far brighter than the factor ones. If the Glock fits your hand… you can’t go wrong.

Forgot to mention... I have a Surefire X200 on my M22 and it has never failed to cycle with the light on or off of it.
    Last edited by Zoff12; 10-26-2010 at 09:53 PM.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

I carry a G19 and have found it to be my favorite piistol for the size and weight it's just right. When I switched to Glock my shooting got better too. Playing with the idea of a G22, or another G19.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011

Maybe I'm playing devil's advocate a little too hard...
    Let me put it this way. If I had to choose between a Glock 17 and a 22, I would choose the 17. If I wanted a Glock 22, I would get a 22 and feel good about it.

But the op didn't ask for a comparison, he just asked for some pros and cons of the 22. I don't doubt that some (maybe all) of what I listed as cons may be nothing but internet hype. It is just stuff I've seen come up and I thought I should bring to his attention.

I really like what Zoff wrote, and would personally put more stock into what he has to say

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I am a Glock fan,I owned a 31,currently own a G21,G23 and now a G27.In my hands these are very accurate.I have replaced the factory barrels with drop in Stormlake barrels with standard rifling.I shoot reloads in all of my Glocks.My uncle and two cousins have been won over by the Glock,each own a G23 and G27 with Stormlake barrels.

With a G22,you can get barrels for both .357 Sig and 9mm.Be sure to get mags accordingly.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

I've owned two G22s, sold them both. Not that they weren't good guns. It's just that I am not a fan of the Glockenspiel grip angle. I did have a stock front sight fly off during firing on my first G22 though.
    The Guns Network | Often Imitated - Never Duplicated!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

My 23 is a dream to shoot and I'm good with it.
    I just got a 40 to 9 extended/threaded conversion bbl.
    (drop in) for the EVO-9 can I have coming.
    BTW it shoots just as well or better with the conversion bbl.
    видеодон

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I've got a G26, 29 and 35. Like them all. I did pickup a G34 conversion barrel for the G35 and shoot it a lot more as a 9x19 then I did as a .40 S&W. The G22 is a good gun in a proven caliber. You could do a lot worse.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Pros? It's a Glock, which means it goes bang-bang every time.

Cons? Some people don't like the hump at the bottom of the grip, myself included. My backup/off-duty gun is a G26 with a +2 on the mag for off duty and the flush-fit mag for strapping it to my vest. I'm going to send it to Cold Bore Customs for a reduction and texture.

The G22's a little big for CCW, but I've got an old police trade-in for home defense. I trust it completely.

Glock=WIN
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by 6gunsal View Post
    I really like what Zoff wrote, and would personally put more stock into what he has to say

Thanks, 6G
    Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    The G22's a little big for CCW, but I've got an old police trade-in for home defense. I trust it completely.

I would have to disagree but with and explanation. I prefer to carry my M22 when off duty. I save the M27 for when it’s hot and my clothing options limited. Yes… one has to dress with the weapon in mind. I usually throw a light button up on for warm weather. Leave it unbuttoned and untucked and go. Weapon size is much less of a consideration during the colder months. I carry the M22 and the M27 in a Blade-Tech UCH when off duty or in plain clothes. It doesn’t hurt that I am 6’3” and about 230 – 235 so I can hide the bigger Glock better.
    Skäl

Zoff, I'm in Texas. Generally, we get 3 weeks of fall, a month of winter, and 3 weeks of spring. The rest is shorts/t-shirt weather. It's almost November and it was 90 degrees here on Tuesday, so we're usually dressed light. I've just found that the grip of the G26 prints less. It's easier to just carry a subcompact with a spare magazine in my pocket than to try to conceal a full-size.

Quote Originally Posted by Charliebravo View Post
    Zoff, I'm in Texas. Generally, we get 3 weeks of fall, a month of winter, and 3 weeks of spring. The rest is shorts/t-shirt weather. It's almost November and it was 90 degrees here on Tuesday, so we're usually dressed light. I've just found that the grip of the G26 prints less. It's easier to just carry a subcompact with a spare magazine in my pocket than to try to conceal a full-size.
    I hear that! I do that during the hottest time of our summer as well.
    Skäl

I'm with you both 100%. My G27 is the go-to carry piece. Here in IL we have more cool weather than you do in TX, so its no big deal. During the hot months I prefer my Kel Tec PF-9 or my Ruger LCR. I'm comfortable with any of these...Before I acquired the KelTec and Ruger, it was a S&W M49 and 36.
    Last edited by TEN-32; 10-28-2010 at 08:44 PM.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmurda View Post
    I have a chance at a good deal on a used glock 22. I dont know anything about them. Please help......
    Well I like Glocks a lot. I am not a .40 S&W fan though. I've been using a Glock 19 since 1993 when I got my first one. I also have a Glock 21 that I like a lot. I find them to be the most reliable off the shelf auto pistol going. I've never had one malfunction with US made facory ammo. Wolf and some other Russian made brands of ammo have presented reliablity issues with the 21. Silver Bear 9 mm ammo with the 154 gr. HP rounds always functioned perfectly with good accuracy in my 19.

Now why I don't like .40 short n weak, really it comes down to me owning 9 mm and .45 ACP handguns when the .40 S&W came out in the 1990s. .45 ACP does everyting the .40 S&W does and then some. 9 mm is adequate as a self defense round, offers more capacity in a mag and is way cheaper than the .40. I never saw a reason for me to get one. LEO went for the .40 as they have women officers with small hands that can't handle .45 ACP sized double stack guns and they don't think 9 mm is good enough. That belief stems from a shoot out in Florida between a crew of bank robbers and FBI agents. The result was dead FBI agents and the FBI deciding to find a better round. After conducting exhaustive testing the FBI picked the 10 mm but soon were looking for a replacement as women agents couldn't deal with the recoil and grip size of 10 mm weapons. S&W stepped in with the .40 S&W which is a shortened 10 mm round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast