Thread: Migraine hangover

Migraine hangover

Anyone else get these things? I had an ocular migraine yesterday and my brains feel like scrambled eggs today

lack of caffeine is what causes mine anymore.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Are you allergic to anything you may have eat/drank?
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Are you allergic to anything you may have eat/drank?
    I don't think so. They run in the family and I get them occasionally

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

my foreman had them. instead of high power, high priced drugs, he sat in the store room in total darkness. sometimes he used a frozen bottle of water. usually ended in about an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Anyone else get these things? I had an ocular migraine yesterday and my brains feel like scrambled eggs today
    I get migraines once in a while. I'm fortunate enough to get a warning (the "aura"... a silvery-white blind spot that starts as a dot in the center of my vision and then it expands, turns into a circle, then finally breaks in half (forming a C and a reverse C)).

I have fantastic stuff for it... it's called Fiorinal . It's aspirin, caffeine and Butalbital (a mild barbituate).

I usually realize I'm getting a migraine when I suddenly realize that I can't read (because the shimmering aura is right in the center of the eye). As soon as I see the aura, I take two of the fiorinal and lie down for about 15 to 30 minutes.

Boom! Aura gone, no headache, no nausea, no spinning room. Completely gone.

The stuff is Rx (CIII) so you have to ask your doctor for a prescription. It is addictive, but only if you eat it like candy. If you only take it for migraines, it will never bother you.

Hope this helps....
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

If this is something new and you have good insurance you should ask your doctor to order a brain MRI.

That fake sugar sweetener will give you bad headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    I get migraines once in a while. I'm fortunate enough to get a warning (the "aura"... a silvery-white blind spot that starts as a dot in the center of my vision and then it expands, turns into a circle, then finally breaks in half (forming a C and a reverse C)).

I have fantastic stuff for it... it's called Fiorinal . It's aspirin, caffeine and Butalbital (a mild barbituate).

I usually realize I'm getting a migraine when I suddenly realize that I can't read (because the shimmering aura is right in the center of the eye). As soon as I see the aura, I take two of the fiorinal and lie down for about 15 to 30 minutes.

Boom! Aura gone, no headache, no nausea, no spinning room. Completely gone.

The stuff is Rx (CIII) so you have to ask your doctor for a prescription. It is addictive, but only if you eat it like candy. If you only take it for migraines, it will never bother you.

Hope this helps....
    Do you get the "hangover" where the next day you feel half retarded.

Well, now that I have meds that actually work, I don't get migraines any longer.

But, before that, here's what it was like for me:

First, I would realize that I couldn't read and noticed the silvery-white shimmer spot in the center of my vision. Then the spot would grow larger, then finally change from a solid circle to "donut" (a larger circle with a hole in the middle). Then as the donut got larger, it finally split into two pieces (a C shape on the left and a reverse C shape on the right).

When the shimmers moved all the way to the outer edges of my vision, I would start to get the actual headache. The headache slowly got worse and worse, until I could feel my pulse in my head (the pain throbbed in time with my heartbeat). Also my eyes were very sensitive to light and I had to lie down in a dark room.

The headache lasted for about 4 to 6 hours, and after about 2 hours the nausea would set in. I would always barf my stomach dry, then lie back down.

After about 6 hours or so, the headache finally started to subside and I fell asleep.

Next morning I felt awful... no headache but it felt more like the flu. Body aches, dry mouth, insatiably thirsty... I felt like I got run over by a truck then dragged a few miles.

A migraine always wiped me out for an entire day after I had the headache myself.

My doctor tried several different things to help my migraines such as "Cafergot" which didn't really work at all, as well as a few other drugs that I don't recall.

When he finally had me try the Fiorinal (Butalibtal), I finally lucked out. Next time I got the first shimmers, I immediately took two of them and within 15 minutes, shimmers were gone - no headache, no nausea.

I found out that they DON'T work at all if the migraine starts and progresses too long before taking the Butalibtal. Once I woke up at night to take a leak and noticed that I had shimmers that already progressed to the "C shaped split donut" phase. I took the Butalbital and it didn't do one bit of good. In "desperation" I took two more - still nothing. I wound up with a full migraine and was wiped out the next day.

So, anyway.. yes the end of a migraine DOES feel a lot like an alcohol hangover (although I don't have those anymore either - because I know the secret to not getting a hangover! )

Here's sort of what the "aura" or "shimmers" look like to me:

I dont get auras like that.

I have had them present a few different ways if it is ocular I am usually a little aggravated for no reason before I realize that I am going to have one. My vision will get blurry but not really noticeably so. I'll notice when I try to read something, and even then, it doesn't look blurry I'll just have increasing difficulty reading until I realize something is wrong, like my brain can't properly process what I am seeing. I'll also notice that bright light, especially fluorescent lights seem very abrasive at this point. I also might get a sense of confusion. Then the paint will hit. it is usually quite localized and sharp. when I get the pain my vision is often better but I feel very wiped out, like I really need to lay down. I'll feel drained and somewhat weak. This can last a couple hours. The pain has ranged from my head feels like it is going to explode to not that bad. The last one I got the blurry vision and a little paint. I took some alieve and the pain lessened. I did get the exhausted confused feeling which was pretty pronounced the next day. I had some light nausea that went along with it but it wasn't that bad. the "hangover" was pretty bad and even the next day lights were annoying.