Thread: Trump Pentagon pick says its 'insane' for civilians to own semi-automatic weapons

Exclamation Trump Pentagon pick says its 'insane' for civilians to own semi-automatic weapons

President Trump’s nominee to lead the military health system said Tuesday he thinks it is “insane” for civilians to be able to purchase semi-automatic rifles like the one a gunman used to kill 26 people at a Texas church.

Dean Winslow, a professor at Stanford University and retired Air Force colonel, made his remarks during his confirmation hearing in front of the Senate Armed Service committee, according to the Washington Examiner.

“I may get in trouble with other members of the committee just say how insane it is that in the United States of America a civilian can go out and buy a semi-automatic like an AR-15, which apparently was the weapon that was used,” Winslow said. “I think that's an issue not as much for this committee, but elsewhere.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...c-weapons.html

Wow, he sure knows how to pick 'em...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Yeah he's all over the board on his picks to round out the admin, but seriously, can you imagine Hillary when it comes to the 2nd amendment? She'd have executive orders flying the minute she was pres, the ATF would be living in her whitehouse. So not really much of a point except to stir the shit.

Well, and to be fair, I guess it should be expected, as I understand most medical doctors aren't terribly fond of firearms, since most of their experience comes from dealing with gunshot wound victims in the operating room, or hearing about such cases from their colleagues.

At least he won't be in a position to effect policy. Just an "empty suit" as it were.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Stanford says all you need to know. My FIL was a full bird and he felt the same way and that was 30 years
    ago.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

He's airforce what do you expect, he doesn't need to touch any of those icky guns.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Yeah he's all over the board on his picks to round out the admin, but seriously, can you imagine Hillary when it comes to the 2nd amendment? She'd have executive orders flying the minute she was pres, the ATF would be living in her whitehouse. So not really much of a point except to stir the shit.
    He's surrounded himself with domestic enemies and forced out patriots from the cabinet.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Personally I could care less what his views on ownership of semiautos is. He's in charge of the military health system not sitting on the SCOTUS or a member of congress.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    He's airforce what do you expect, he doesn't need to touch any of those icky guns.
    Please don't lump all Air Force with this guy. Most USAF personnel I know have more government approved firearms in their homes than the government assigns to them to protect us.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Well isn't he just a cute bundle of wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Please don't lump all Air Force with this guy. Most USAF personnel I know have more government approved firearms in their homes than the government assigns to them to protect us.
    I don't but I've know a few, particularly officers, who were very liberal and didn't seem to belong in the "armed" forces.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    He's surrounded himself with domestic enemies and forced out patriots from the cabinet.
    I would say the jury is still out on Trump. That being said there are two chances we will get a wall - slim and none.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Personally I could care less what his views on ownership of semiautos is. He's in charge of the military health system not sitting on the SCOTUS or a member of congress.
    I care very much. This guy is establishing a link between owning a semi-auto firearm and insanity, i.e., you own one of these guns, so you are insane and insane people can't own guns. This is the logic that will be used to disarm vets who have served our country - so I find this guy to be a POS basicly.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    I care very much. This guy is establishing a link between owning a semi-auto firearm and insanity, i.e., you own one of these guns, so you are insane and insane people can't own guns. This is the logic that will be used to disarm vets who have served our country - so I find this guy to be a POS basicly.
    You may be right. Do you know what all his job will entail or what power/control he will havve? I don't see his comment as being any more than just that. It isn't setting any legal precedent and doesn't encompass all firearms.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell