Thread: Milestone Today.

Milestone Today.

My son drove himself and his sister to school for the first time. My daughter, now 18 has no desire to drive. So she never got her license. My son however couldn't wait to start driving.

He became legal on Monday. We ended up getting him a really nice 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab. Our neighbor gave us the good neighbor discount on it. One owner truck meticulously maintained with 116,000 miles on it. We paid 5k for the truck.

Just got the text that he arrived safely.

That's pretty cool. My oldest kid (11) still has a way to go before I worry about her driving. I can understand your daughter's feeling about having no desire to drive. I got a license to drive a 5-ton and HMMWV in the Army before I got a civilian driver license. Still not sure how I pulled that off.
    Nice choice of vehicle for the boy and it sounds like a good deal.

Yep, the deal was too good to pass up. I was going to let him drive my 10 F150. I found a decent 06 TJ for myself. I had always wanted a Jeep. But then the neighbor offered us the Chevy. They years of my son plowing their driveway, and mowing their lawn paid off.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    My son drove himself and his sister to school for the first time. My daughter, now 18 has no desire to drive. So she never got her license.
    That seems to be where things are trending, more so now with the Uber type driverless cars on the horizon

http://time.com/money/4185441/millen...icenses-gen-x/
    The authors would not speculate as to the reason for the decreases, but a survey they conducted in 2013 of 618 respondents between the ages of 18 and 39 found that the primary reason reported for not having a driver’s license was that people were simply too busy (37%), followed closely by the cost of of owning and maintaining a vehicle (32%), and the ease of getting a ride from someone else (31%). The authors did not, apparently, survey the friends from whom respondents were constantly mooching rides for their own opinions on the matter.

Further down the list of reasons for not getting a license in the 2013 survey were a preference for biking or walking (22%), public transportation (17%), concern for the environment 9%), the ability to do business online (8%), and disability (7%).

Anyway congrats on another milestone, hope he arrives safe wherever he goes
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

That's cool. It is also scary as a dad to see your kid leave in the morning driving themself.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I find it more interesting that his sister that is older does not want to drive. Where you are there isn't much public transportation.

Kids today are different. I know young girl in her Twenties that lived down the street from me and babysat my kids through most of her teenage years. She's led a remarkable life for his young as she is, including living in an indigenous Village in the Andes Mountains of Peru for a couple of years. I ran into her this summer and she told me she doesn't drive. It's not just that she doesn't have a car or a license, she literally never learned to drive. The funny thing about it is she said it kind of boastfully, you know like people our age used to brag that we didn't have a TV in our house.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 11-30-2017 at 08:42 PM.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Kids today are different. I know young girl in her Twenties that lived down the street from me and babysat my kids through most of her teenage years. She's led a remarkable life for his young as she is, including living in an indigenous Village in the Andes Mountains of Peru for a couple of years. I ran into her this summer and she told me she doesn't drive. It's not just that she doesn't have a car or a license, she literally never learned to drive. The funny thing about it is she said it kind of boastfully, you know like people our age used to brag that we didn't have a TV in our house.
    Agreed, kids are much different now. We considered driving a step toward self sufficiency. They view it as giving in to "the man", not sure why.

You apparently don’t live in the country. I grew up where the only anything was either 10 miles in One Direction or 23 miles in the opposite direction. It didn’t matter if you had a bicycle or a horse you aren’t getting anywhere without a car.

BISHOP

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    You apparently don’t live in the country. I grew up where the only anything was either 10 miles in One Direction or 23 miles in the opposite direction. It didn’t matter if you had a bicycle or a horse you aren’t getting anywhere without a car.

BISHOP
    That's kind of like what I was thinking. These kids won't be able to function on their own without someone else making sure they get there.

They are the kind of kids Liberals love. As long as they agree to following a certain doctrine, and choose to be "helped" by someone else, they will be provided for in every way. And, if at a later time, they "see the light" it'll be too late. They will have become trapped wherever they are.

I like to ride a bus, take a train/subway, or go for a cruise, but if I want to go somewhere of my own choosing, at a time of my own choosing, then I am free to drive myself.

There's nothing like being self-sufficient, and there's nothing like always having to rely on others.

I'm happy with the "nothing" I chose.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars