Thread: Early Ruger M77

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Early Ruger M77

Watching a local auction that has a Ruger M77 from 1971. It's chambered in 30.06 and I believe has the 22" light sporter barrel. Not sure but the auction listing says 22" and according to my Ruger book the 22" light sporter was the most common profile. The others are shorter or longer.

Looks to be pretty decent shape. Some scratches on the floor plate and bottom of the trigger guard. Checkering looks pretty good. Not much flattening. Stock looks pretty much dent/scratch free with original finish and butt pad. Metal looks to be 95% or a little higher. I love the caliber and like the looks of the rifle but don't know much about the M77. I do have a book on Ruger I'm looking through.

Anyone have any experience with the M77 in general and the early models in particular? Looks like this one would be the fourth year of production. Current bid is $250 with Internet premium of 18%. Since I'm local I could pay cash and get 3% off and no shipping but I'd have 5.3% sales tax so if I won it at $250 I'd end up at $300 OTD.

Was thinking $400 OTD might not be bad for a solid rifle in 30.06 but maybe there is some collector premium I'm not aware of? TIA
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 12-02-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

if it's just a basic m77 , no more than $400.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thank you. I'm pretty sure it's the base model.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell