Thread: Did some PC Rework.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Cool Did some PC Rework.

I had a set of Cablemod Cables for about half a year and finally put them in now that I'm on vacation.
    Before installation.

After installation
    Cable management in the back.

I also installed a Cablemod LED strip system. RGB anyone?

All closed up and ready to go back in position on the desk.

As an after thought I am adding the system description.
    The case is a Fractal Design Define R4.
    CPU is a 6th gen Intel 6600K overclockable CPU. I have it running at 4.22 Ghz.
    16 Gb of GSkill 3200 Mhz Trident Z memory.
    Motherboard is an Asus Maximus VIII Ranger.
    Tower cooler is by BeQuiet, the Dark Rock 3. Under full gaming load it stays about 60°C
    Power supply is an EVGA G2 750 watt 80+ Gold rated, has a 10 year warranty.
    The hard drives are two, 2 TB Western Digital Black grade drives. These are the F drive for mass storage, running them in Raid 1 for redundancy.
    The C: is the Samsung 850 Evo, only 250 Gb in size.
    I replaced the Case fans (Fractal Design stock) with BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 fans. They push a lot of air but keep it silent at 5 Volt settings.
    The graphics card is an Asus Strix 1070 Pascal card. It will OC to 2160 Mhz. In Boost mode it will sit at 2060 Mhz as long as the GPU temp stays below 60°C If it goes over that thermal throtteling kicks in and it drops to 2038 Mhz. A little tweak to the fan profiles will keep the speed up.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-23-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Minty! I've never seen a bottom mounted PS before. Of course it's been a long time since I upgraded. Except for buying a refurbed Xeon 6 core computer for the rec room/ HD 70" TV.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Minty! I've never seen a bottom mounted PS before. Of course it's been a long time since I upgraded. Except for buying a refurbed Xeon 6 core computer for the rec room/ HD 70" TV.
    Bottom located power supply cases have been around for 10 years. You don't get out much huh?

I still run XP64 as my primary OS..... That should tell you something. Still running SLI GTS 450 cards, though I did put a 1050TI in the Xeon computer.

I still run XP64 as my primary OS..... That should tell you something. Still running SLI GTS 450 cards, though I did put a 1050TI in the Xeon computer.
    That 1050ti will run circles around your 450's.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Psychedelic man!

Nice cable dressing.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    That 1050ti will run circles around your 450's.
    Yeah that's no shit. My kid runs some of the latest games, I bought the exact refurbed Xeon for him too and we put in a 1050TI, No problems with the latest eye candy games. Killer system you have there for sure!!!! What games do you play on it?
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 12-23-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Yeah that's no shit. My kid runs some of the latest games, I bought the exact refurbed Xeon for him too and we put in a 1050TI, No problems with the latest eye candy games. Killer system you have there for sure!!!! What games do you play on it?
    My tastes are varied and frequently change. The number of games I've played are not huge and only a handful have captured my interest for replay. XCOM and XCOM2 are some of my all time favorites. I've played Witcher 3 but never finished it. Done Fall Out 3 and Fall Out New Vegas. Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, State of Decay, Dead Island and Dead Island Riptide. Last game I purchased on Steam was 7 Days to Die. Did Ht Man as well back in the Windows XP OS days.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

That certainly made the computer look better. Did it also improve performance?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    That certainly made the computer look better. Did it also improve performance?
    No, it's all just art work / eye candy. Now me blowing out all the dust from the heat sinks on the tower cooler and the Graphics card sure did help thermals. My idol temperature on the GPU went from 54 to 38°C.

The i5 6600K is stock at 3.5 Ghz so my over clock to 4.22 Ghz is a fairly healthy one on air cooling only. I refuse to go water cooled, too many failure modes for that one.

Very nice. I have got to open up my PC and get the dust out of it. Having an issue with the graphics card.... flutter on display. I suspect its running hot.

Quote Originally Posted by slag View Post
    Very nice. I have got to open up my PC and get the dust out of it. Having an issue with the graphics card.... flutter on display. I suspect its running hot.
    Hi Slag, good to see you post. Your card could be dirty, this one certainly was. OTOH if you have windows 10, it might be related to that as well. I recently had some fluttering on my display just the week before I did the blow out and cable addition. I rebooted the PC as it had been in sleep mode. That did seem to take care of it.

Hi Slag, good to see you post. Your card could be dirty, this one certainly was. OTOH if you have windows 10, it might be related to that as well. I recently had some fluttering on my display just the week before I did the blow out and cable addition. I rebooted the PC as it had been in sleep mode. That did seem to take care of it.
    I tried rebooting... but still have flutter. Going to open it up today, I know there is plenty of dust and pet hair in my PC, so I'm really hoping that heat is the issue with my flutter.

Quote Originally Posted by slag View Post
    I tried rebooting... but still have flutter. Going to open it up today, I know there is plenty of dust and pet hair in my PC, so I'm really hoping that heat is the issue with my flutter.
    What make of graphics card do you have or is it just integrated graphics in the CPU chip? There are more than one cases of the card makers sending out driver updates that screw them up.

What make of graphics card do you have or is it just integrated graphics in the CPU chip? There are more than one cases of the card makers sending out driver updates that screw them up.
    It is a Nvidia GeForce 520... I did update the driver when I noticed the issue, but it made no difference. My PC is about 5 years old... it could be an issue with heat, or it may just be getting beyond its useful age.

Did you build it or buy it?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Did you build it or buy it?
    Built it. This is the 2nd PC in this case, the Fractal Design R4 case. Built the original PC in the case in 2013, then in December 2015 I gutted it (the case) and started over with a 6th Gen Intel i5 6600K and motherboard by Asus. Here a photo history of where it was in the beginning.

This is the original AMD CPU and Asus Motherboard build just before I gutted the case.

Here is the case with the AMD and old fans removed.

Here it is as originally constructed with the i5 CPU and new board. The GPU is an Asus GTX 780 Poseidon, it has 3 GB of video ram. The current Graphics card is a GTX 1070 by Asus it has 8 GB of VRam. It beats the hell out of the performance of the 780, like day and night different.