Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeowner shot dead by police after 'swatting' prank goes wrong

Angry Homeowner shot dead by police after 'swatting' prank goes wrong

A 28-year-old Kansas man was shot and killed by police officers on the evening of Dec. 28 after someone fraudulently reported a hostage situation ongoing at his home. The false report was the latest in a dangerous hoax known as “swatting,” wherein the perpetrator falsely reports a dangerous situation at an address with the goal of prompting authorities to respond to that address with deadly force. This particular swatting reportedly originated over a $1.50 wagered match in the online game Call of Duty. Compounding the tragedy is that the man killed was an innocent party who had no part in the dispute.
    https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/12/...atting-attack/

It's all fun and games until someone gets killed.

The gamer who made that crank call needs to be charged with felony murder, to send a message to these jack-a-lopes who think this type of shit is funny.

It's probably some dumbass teenage punk kid. Sounds like he's been pretty crafty hiding his identity, as this isn't his first time at the rodeo, but with as much as he likes to brag, someone who knows him will eventually rat him out.

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Swatting has been going on for years. It is and never has been a "prank" It is political
    harraasssmmment....
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Hummm.... What's Hitlary's address?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

I hate to hear this sort of thing. I hope the swatter gets life.

Have to be able to prove who it was. Some shit with a cell phone. Seen many?

be the heat..

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2af_1514616131 Hope he gets charged with murder.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Mugshot of the "swatter." Looks like a fine, upstanding citizen, doesn't he? Evolution's pinnacle of success.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2af_1514616131
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Wait a moment. Is my definition of a swatter wrong? This seems some how "game" related and I think a swatter
    is someone that calls in false gun claims... Am I missing something?

be the heat..

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Not sure how they did it, but it looks like they might have caught the "Swatter".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...cid=spartanntp
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Well, if he was really playing Call of Duty online from his real residence, they probably just served a subpoena on the game server and found out his IP address that way. Since there were so many witnesses who knew his username (GamerID) in there.

Sounds like he was hiding his identity on Twitter at least (on his computer), when he made all those other swatting calls, but he may have fucked up by allowing his identity to be tied to him through that game console.

Too bad. Hope they throw the book at him.
    Last edited by LAGC; 12-30-2017 at 06:56 PM.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    Well, if he was really playing Call of Duty online from his real residence, they probably just served a subpoena on the game server and found out his IP address that way. Since there were so many witnesses who knew his username (GamerID) in there.

Sounds like he was hiding his identity on Twitter at least (on his computer), when he made all those other swatting calls, but he may have fucked up by allowing his identity to be tied to him through that game console.

Too bad. Hope they throw the book at him.
    The story on the local news said the FBI had gotten in on it and tracked him down quick......also said he had just got out of prison for calling in a bomb threat.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I hate to hear this sort of thing. I hope the swatter gets life.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2af_1514616131 Hope he gets charged with murder.
    What about the trigger happy cops that just shoot whoever and whenever they feel like it and get away with it?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I wish they'd give him a death penalty, but I'll settle for a life sentence without a chance of parole.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    What about the trigger happy cops that just shoot whoever and whenever they feel like it and get away with it?
    I agree, but we know nothing will happen besides a paid vacation. This could have happened to any one of us.

Amen to that!!!

Just because some poor guy who is scared and confused makes a sudden move that does not give them the right to execute him on the spot!

"IF" he pulls a weapon then yeah I can see it, but to gun somebody down for flinching is wrong. There has to be consequences for doing wrong even if it's a cop, or there is no justice.

Well you have to have standards you know. I just watched (well a few days ago) a cop shoot a man with a rifle, the man was with in 15 or so feet
    on his knees begging not to die. As he was crawling and begging on his knees the cop killed him. So I mean....

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Well you have to have standards you know. I just watched (well a few days ago) a cop shoot a man with a rifle, the man was with in 15 or so feet
    on his knees begging not to die. As he was crawling and begging on his knees the cop killed him. So I mean....

And got away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Was it this case?

When police murder someone the explanation is more or less always a variation on the "reaching for the waistband" theme. When they beat the shit out of someone they alway say he "resisted arrest."

I doubt that local police have shoot/don't shoot training. This type of training is taught to Federal law enforcement at FLETC using a high end computer simulator, large screen, and a laser equipped handgun replica. The instructor can dial in different endings to scenarios. For example, in one scenario on a traffic stop, the driver reaches into the glove compartment and pulls out a gun. For a different trainee the driver will pull out a wallet. There is no excuse for local police not conducting this type of training.

5 Colorado Deputies Shot, 1 Killed, in ‘Ambush’ Attack

https://stream.org/5-colorado-deputi...ambush-attack/
    DENVER (AP) — A man fired more than 100 rounds at sheriff’s deputies early Sunday, killing one and injuring four others, before being fatally shot himself in what authorities called an ambush. Two civilians were also injured.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast