Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. soldiers are revealing sensitive and dangerous information by jogging

Exclamation U.S. soldiers are revealing sensitive and dangerous information by jogging

BEIRUT — An interactive map posted on the Internet that shows the whereabouts of people who use fitness devices such as Fitbit also reveals highly sensitive information about the locations and activities of soldiers at U.S. military bases, in what appears to be a major security oversight.

The Global Heat Map, published by the GPS tracking company Strava, uses satellite information to map the locations and movements of subscribers to the company’s fitness service over a two-year period, by illuminating areas of activity.

Strava says it has 27 million users around the world, including people who own widely available fitness devices such as Fitbit and Jawbone, as well as people who directly subscribe to its mobile app. The map is not live — rather, it shows a pattern of accumulated activity between 2015 and September 2017.

Most parts of the United States and Europe, where millions of people use some type of fitness tracker, show up on the map as blazes of light because there is so much activity.

In war zones and deserts in countries such as Iraq and Syria, the heat map becomes almost entirely dark — except for scattered pinpricks of activity. Zooming in on those areas brings into focus the locations and outlines of known U.S. military bases, as well as of other unknown and potentially sensitive sites — presumably because American soldiers and other personnel are using fitness trackers as they move around.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...67e_story.html

Ah, the glorious wonders of the IoT (Internet of Things)...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

A portion of the Strava Labs heat map from Kandahar Airfield in Afghanistan, made by tracking activities. (Screenshot)
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I can see these being out lawed immediately on any military base.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 01-29-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Just don’t use the app, people are dipshits and I will probably have to do some crappy computer training course now
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

L..A.G.C. You fucking Moron! You know damn well in your Signature the correct Title is B.C. Before Christ! Not that stupid BCE Shit What is it about you stupid Liberal Californians? You are ashamed to be white, Not this White Christian Georgia Man! W.A.S.P.! Great,Great,Great Grandson of a Confederate Soldier.!!! you dickhead! Kiss my Southern Georgia Ass!
    Last edited by Hobe Sound AK; 01-29-2018 at 05:30 PM.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    L..A.G.C. You fucking Moron! You know damn well in your Signature the correct Title is B.C. Before Christ! Not that stupid BCE Shit What is it about you stupid Liberal Californians? You are ashamed to be white, Not this White Christian Georgia Man! W.A.S.P.! Great,Great,Great Grandson of a Confederate Soldier.!!! you dickhead! Kiss my Southern Georgia Ass!
    Nice rant, hillrod. Why don't you go f#ck yourself?
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You don't need a health app to use Google Maps, or any map service to locate any US military outpost. Why is this a big deal other than it shows where our military personnel care about their health.

Um, Californians didn't invent the BCE (before the Common Era) was started by secular scholars in EUROPE, most notably Great Britain. It was first generally used by liberal academic historians in MA and NY institutions before it ever showed up in California.

I still use Before Christ and Anno Domini because there's no reason to change it, I'm not a historian, but 'common Era' was a precise term used by historians as far back as NEWTON, but it was an 'egghead' term only used by guys who lived their lives in libraries.

You drinking again? This another Drunken rant? Because you're acting all TRIGGERED! LOL (Now I'll never turn down an opportunity to call LAGC a moron But you really sound unhinged there partner. )

No Tank I was not Drunk, nor do I drink! Like most of us here on Gunsnet, I don't like him neither. No I did not know who came up with BCE but knowing how California is and having lived out there for 3 Years when my Dad was stationed out there. I just like to jump on him once in awhile, he is the typical Californian. Don't know why Kalashnikov chose to dump on me? Perhaps I went too far, I just don't like that BCE Crap. that is all I will say about it.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

No Tank I was not Drunk, nor do I drink! Like most of us here on Gunsnet, I don't like him neither. No I did not know who came up with BCE but knowing how California is and having lived out there for 3 Years when my Dad was stationed out there. I just like to jump on him once in awhile, he is the typical Californian. Don't know why Kalashnikov chose to dump on me? Perhaps I went too far, I just don't like that BCE Crap. that is all I will say about it.
    Maybe it has something to do with your post of the other week (which is now gone) about the Irish, Catholics, & yankees all being scum. I happen to belong to all 3 of the above groups and if you don't like it

No I never said Scum. What I said which I have heard also many times before, that The Irish were the greatest Drunks in the World! Period! I never used the Word Scum. I don't have a fight with you Kalashnikov, never did, I was going after N.E. and Brady, not you, if it is an apology you wish so be it! I am sorry!. Paul

Yeah, let's be big boys about it. I've been in kind of a mood the last couple of days...& yes I suppose the drunky stereotype holds some truth.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I like happy endings!

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with your post of the other week (which is now gone) about the Irish, Catholics, & yankees all being scum. I happen to belong to all 3 of the above groups and if you don't like it
    Why do care about a group and gripe about an individual? Are you Irish or American, faith i will not speak of because that is personal and as far as yankees you should be forced
    to sing the BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC all of your life....But to the victor goes the history
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Yeah okay....whatever.

Being a "mutt" of Scottish, Irish, English, French, Dutch, and German, I readily admit that I like to eat and drink. I prefer beer in the summer or with certain foods, wine all year, rum occasionally, and whiskeys even less frequently. But I have only been "drunk" twice in my life and the second time was ~25 years ago when two friends/coworkers, my g/f, and I went to 10 Missouri wineries in ONE day. Luckily, the g/f was driving (she can't drink) and drove home. We still came home with 3 cases.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Yeah okay....whatever.
    Got it whatever. Get a real name kalashnikov. At least I am not an obvious thief. I do not think much of you are your
    fan boy. Take your own trash out.
    Last edited by l921428x; 01-31-2018 at 05:52 PM.

be the heat..

I still see your an idiot dickhead despite your too-short "time-out" here.

Stop addressing me on this board unless you can say something approaching intelligent & coherent.

And what is your real name...1921428X?

Actually it is not a 1 it is an L. That is why reading should be required. Time out? Sounds childish and I am sure it has to do with
    children and the childish way some wannabes treat them.

But it is fun.

be the heat..

More gibberish as per usual. Adios

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast