Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I asked this question a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    The slow change in the Earth's axis is called precession. The axis is pointing towards Polaris right now, but in 13,000 years it will be pointing towards Vega, then 13,000 years after that, it will be pointing back to Polaris. So, Earth's complete precession cycle is 26,000 years.

However, the rotation of the earth is what causes sunrise and sunset, and that only changes a few nano-seconds every day. Even in 100 years, the Earth has slowed down about 200-300 nanoseconds.

Since the Devonian Time Period, the Earth's daylight hours have increased from 22.6 hrs. to 24 hrs. today. That's an increase of 1.4 hours in a time period of 252,000,000 years.

I doubt, during the lifetime of a human, anyone would notice any change in either the precession, or daylight hours.

So, if anyone senses a difference in the length of a day, there has to be another reason they're seeing it. It's not scientific.

Most people don't know this. I'm impressed.

Our next "North Star" will be Gamma Cephei (A.K.A. Alrai) and after that it will be Alpha Lyrae (Vega - pronounced VEE-GAH, not "VAY-GAH"), then finally back to Alpha Ursae Minoris (Polaris).

Also, since the earth rotates faster than the moon orbits it, it adds orbital energy to the moon via tidal coupling, causing it to slowly move away from the earth (and also slows down the rotation of the earth).

In eons to come, the moon will have moved so far out, and the earth slowed so much, that the moon will be in a geosynchronous orbit and appear in one spot in the sky (albeit tracing out a small figure 8 pattern).

Our dust will be dust by then.......
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Most people don't know this. I'm impressed.

Our next "North Star" will be Gamma Cephei (A.K.A. Alrai) and after that it will be Alpha Lyrae (Vega - pronounced VEE-GAH, not "VAY-GAH"), then finally back to Alpha Ursae Minoris (Polaris).

Also, since the earth rotates faster than the moon orbits it, it adds orbital energy to the moon via tidal coupling, causing it to slowly move away from the earth (and also slows down the rotation of the earth).

In eons to come, the moon will have moved so far out, and the earth slowed so much, that the moon will be in a geosynchronous orbit and appear in one spot in the sky (albeit tracing out a small figure 8 pattern).

Our dust will be dust by then.......
    I learned all this when I was teaching astronomy to 8th graders. One thing I found out, in order to teach something, you have to be more knowledgeable than those you teach.

In some of our studies, we were doing college level astronomy, which wasn't as hard as it might sound.

So, I guess I'm smarter than the ordinary 8th grader.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Has the tilt of the Earth changed? Now I know it has, I can see it.
    The Sun is decidedly setting at a lower angle than I have ever seen it.
    Read the Book of Enoch where it is claimed the sun enters and exits through various gates in the firmament
    After that we can discuss what is really going on

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Read the Book of Enoch where it is claimed the sun enters and exits through various gates in the firmament

Ever watch a top spinning on the table and it begins to wobble (that is, if you attached a laser pointer to the top, it would draw a circle on the ceiling)?

Or those 100 foot long cables in museums with a heavy ball on the end that swings in a circle - seemingly all by itself?

That's called "gyroscopic precession" and it's caused by the top moving through inertial space (stationary relative to the universe) in two different directions... one being as the earth rotates on it's axis and the other as the earth orbits the sun. Actually, there are several other factors, like the tidal pull of the moon and the whole solar system orbiting the center of our galaxy, but those forces are so tiny they can be ignored.

The easiest effect to mentally picture is to sit on an office chair holding a bicycle wheel by the axle while it spins. If you try to tilt the axle, the wheel will gyroscopically move 90 degrees perpendicular to the motion you are trying to make.

Now, try to hold the wheel steady and slowly rotate yourself on the office chair (analogous to the earth's rotation relative to stationary inertial space).

Although the axle is not moving relative to YOU, it is moving relative to stationary inertial space (the room around you). As a result, the wheel will precess perpendicular to the motion applied to it. Making one complete circle will cause the wheel to make one complete "wobble" (or maybe two... not exactly sure)

Also, the science of rotating cylinders (and, by extension, spheres) is a lot more complex than it would seem. There are certain diameter to length to rotation rate ratios that are inherently stable and others that will take off and wobble around their axis of rotation without ANY disturbance applied to it. Think of a 5,56 bullet shot out of a 1:12 barrel vs one shot out of a 1:8 barrel, for example.

Thankfully, we HAVE the moon, which keeps us from constantly changing inclination angles (like north is north today and 10 years later it could be that north points at the sun... or anything random in between).

Our climate would be a LOT different....
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Yep and I am watching the lunar eclipse live from California. About over.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I do not know if I would understand anymore after reading it. Unlike my thoughts sometimes
    I am a pretty simple guy. That is why I have a hard time with people telling me I am not seeing what I see.

be the heat..

I do not know if I would understand anymore after reading it. Unlike my thoughts sometimes
    I am a pretty simple guy. That is why I have a hard time with people telling me I am not seeing what I see.
    I have to say I have noticed something odd this year that I had not noticed before.

When I look out the window of my house I can see Mt. Hood. In full summer the sun rises way to the north of the peak as I look eastward at the mountain. In full winter, it rises way to the south of the peak. I have always found this interesting there is such an enormous difference.

Now to the odd part....and it has to do with the sun setting position relative to my home. Many years ago I planted a group of three quaking aspens in the backyard to block the sun during late afternoon in full summer when the sun sets more northern than southern. So the weird part is a few weeks ago in full winter, the sunset was more farther north than it has been in full summer. I say this because when it was setting, my trees did not block it. It was one of those WTF moments and I thought, how is this possibly happening?

Anyway...just an observation on my part.
    Last edited by 308; 01-31-2018 at 10:19 AM.

I have to say I have noticed something odd this year that I had not noticed before.

When I look out the window of my house I can see Mt. Hood. In full summer the sun rises way to the north of the peak as I look eastward at the mountain. In full winter, it rises way to the south of the peak. I have always found this interesting there is such an enormous difference.

Now to the odd part....and it has to do with the sun setting position relative to my home. Many years ago I planted a group of three quaking aspens in the backyard to block the sun during late afternoon in full summer when the sun sets more northern than southern. So the weird part is a few weeks ago in full winter, the sunset was more farther north than it has been in full summer. I say this because when it was setting, my trees did not block it. It was one of those WTF moments and I thought, how is this possibly happening?

Anyway...just an observation on my part.
    The main problem is you didn't plant enough trees....

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

No the problem is we cannot keep those rascals trees from moving around. I have to also
    wonder what it would be to look out my window and see a volcano. I think I will be happy
    with oaks, maples, pines and poplars.

Think I will put up a fence to keep them from running.

be the heat..

No the problem is we cannot keep those rascals trees from moving around. I have to also
    wonder what it would be to look out my window and see a volcano. I think I will be happy
    with oaks, maples, pines and poplars.

Think I will put up a fence to keep them from running.
    I always wondered why people put up fences. I thought it was to keep their pets, or kids, in. Now, I know it's to keep those pesky trees from running amok in the neighborhood.

I may have to do something similar here.....

Freedom isn't free.

Yeah it could become a problem when you have a 28" diameter gutter clogger show up for a year.

be the heat..

The worst tree for roaming is the Sweet Gum tree. Everywhere it's gone, it leaves behind gumballs and those things hurt when you step on them barefooted.

Sometimes, when I go out in the mornings, and the whole yard is littered with gumballs. Those trees really get around when it gets dark.

I'm guessing they're mostly nocturnal roamers.

Freedom isn't free.

Those are at the top of the list for things that are green I will track. But the balls make it easy. I do not fool with those at all.
    Those get nuked from orbit

be the heat..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12