Thread: Who here plays poker?

Who here plays poker?

I started playing poker back when Moneymaker won the World Series. I used to play on Full Tilt Poker before the fed closed down online poker. I haven't been playing much in the last four or five years because of family demands. I recently started playing again. I play hold em but have played stud, razz and a bit of Omaha. Anyone else consider poker as one of their hobbies?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Played all kinds of poker overseas in the army.
    After I got out I leaned to play Pinochle.
    For many years now I just play Solitaire.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

I've hosted a few Hold'em "tournaments" at my house. I use quotes because they are pretty small scale. Six players, $50 buy-in, one second $50 buy-in allowed per player if desired. It's fun. Each time someone is eliminated, shots for everyone. A misdeal costs the offender a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    I've hosted a few Hold'em "tournaments" at my house. I use quotes because they are pretty small scale. Six players, $50 buy-in, one second $50 buy-in allowed per player if desired. It's fun. Each time someone is eliminated, shots for everyone. A misdeal costs the offender a shot.
    There was a group of us that would meet up on Saturday night and play in essence, sit and go’s. Twenty dollar buy in and usually paid first and second places. We could get in two or three in a night. Haven’t done that in ten years or so. I have been playing at the dog track lately.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Played all kinds of poker overseas in the army.
    After I got out I leaned to play Pinochle.
    For many years now I just play Solitaire.
    I used to force my kids to play spades with me. I was in a halo brace for six months so I played the pity card on my daughters.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I used to play 5-card draw & 7-card stud quite a bit in my misspent youth. Played a lot of euchre as well...besides shooting pool in bars.

Nowadays I'm "reformed" to the point I don't even remember much of the rules. I did however, manage to take Caeser's Palace in LV for about $300 this past summer playing video poker. I was hot I tell ya.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

I was never a Card Player but I have a question as a Non-Player! 1. Why are the Jokers only used in Poker, and 2. What are they used for? Funny how you have 2 Cards in the Deck for only 1 Game. Sort of like what they did to the Indy 500 Race Track having only one type of Car and Race. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

I've never played any game with the jokers. I also wonder what they are for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    I was never a Card Player but I have a question as a Non-Player! 1. Why are the Jokers only used in Poker, and 2. What are they used for? Funny how you have 2 Cards in the Deck for only 1 Game. Sort of like what they did to the Indy 500 Race Track having only one type of Car and Race. Paul
    Jokers aren't used in real poker. Some home games use them as wild cards. Personally I hate those games. The wild card screws up the math of poker.