Thread: Had a Scary Thought

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Had a Scary Thought

I recently got back from a 6 and a half month deployment. While I was gone I had locked my G19 in the gun safe as my wife wouldn't use it anyway. When I got home I opened the safe and pulled the pistol out and couldn't remember if it was loaded (it wasn't). My next thought was how do I check this gun to see if it is loaded, followed immediately by the thought - pull the trigger. Now, I did not move my finger to the trigger or do anything other than think - pull the trigger, but in the next instance I was terrified that that thought had actually crossed my mind. Instead of doing the stupid thing I ejected the empty magazine and then pulled the slide back to check the weapon clear and safe, correctly, then I loaded it.

I am very careful with firearms and it scared me how quickly an unsafe thought came to my head. I will still condemn people who misuse firearms but I will show a little more understanding in my condemnation of them.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Wow that's pretty trippy! BTW a Glock can be checked for loaded / firing pin cocked and ready to fire by looking at the trigger in the trigger guard. If the trigger is against the back of the trigger guard, the striker is not cocked and that would mean an empty chamber. If the trigger is forward in the trigger guard the striker is cocked. This does not guarantee there is a cartridge chambered but it does indicate that it could fire if there is a round in the chamber.

Am I wrong in remembering that the Glock extractor sticks out and serves as a loaded chamber indicator?

Bad things can happen in an instant. As long as you remember the rule about where the muzzle is pointed no one should get hurt.
    Still, it's scary what you can find yourself ALMOST doing in a moment of distraction.

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    Am I wrong in remembering that the Glock extractor sticks out and serves as a loaded chamber indicator?

Bad things can happen in an instant. As long as you remember the rule about where the muzzle is pointed no one should get hurt.
    Still, it's scary what you can find yourself ALMOST doing in a moment of distraction.
    Yes, there is a chamber loaded indicator but I don't generally trust them. They are useful in an emergency, all it really tells you is if there is a casing in the chamber, not if the casing is loaded. For non-emergent situations I prefer knowing for sure what is in the chamber.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Wow that's pretty trippy! BTW a Glock can be checked for loaded / firing pin cocked and ready to fire by looking at the trigger in the trigger guard. If the trigger is against the back of the trigger guard, the striker is not cocked and that would mean an empty chamber. If the trigger is forward in the trigger guard the striker is cocked. This does not guarantee there is a cartridge chambered but it does indicate that it could fire if there is a round in the chamber.
    You, of course, are correct. The way a Glock is designed I don't see how you could get a round in the chamber without it being cocked. If the gun is cocked, though, the only way to tell if it is actually loaded is to pull the slide back to expose the chamber or to pull the trigger. I just can't believe that the first option considered by my brain was the second option.

NRA Endowment Member

I try to make a habit to always open the action when ever I handle a firearm. Even if I just opened it or swear it's empty. I don't always abide by it but I try to make a point to. There have been a few times I've pulled a rifle out of the safe with the bore facing me realizing that I just broke a couple safe handling rules.

1. Always keep muzzle in safe direction

2. Keep finger of trigger until ready to shoot

3. Treat all guns as loaded.

4. Store ammo and guns separately

5. Guns are not toys no showing off for friends.

6. No drinking, at all, and handling firearms.

Worst violation I think I ever made was I bought a holster for my nightstands gun, which is without a doubt loaded. I went to try it out in the holster which was a little tight so I grabbed the front of it and pushed the holster onto the gun. Realized that I had just pointed a loaded gun at a party of my body. Really stupid, I'm lucky I didn't put s hole in myself. I at least hope I Larned from the mistake. Be careful guns are not toys and bullet holes are permanent.
    Last edited by NAPOTS; 01-13-2018 at 11:53 PM.