Thread: One last wood stove question.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

One last wood stove question.

Should I install the outdoor air kit? It is the vent pipe that brings air from outside instead of creating a vacuum in the house. I hear mixed reviews about them.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

No expert on this topic but ... thinking about it I would go with pulling outside air for combustion vs. your heated air from inside it. I would think that would make it warmer and you'd lose less heat from the stove that way.

New houses are all sealed up and need this because there isn't enough air flow and the stove won't stay lit properly.
    Old houses have all kinds of air leaks and don't need these kits.

BISHOP

Thanks Shcutzen.
    Bishop, you live in Maine. You may be my go-to guy for all things wood stove.

I can’t believe they charge that much to hump in a stove and hook up a pipe.
    Here we just call a friend and go to Lowe’s to buy a pipe.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 02-04-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Well, Mrs Altarboy and Met Life and Home required a professional installation.

Good answer. My wife wouldn't allow it either.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    No expert on this topic but ... thinking about it I would go with pulling outside air for combustion vs. your heated air from inside it. I would think that would make it warmer and you'd lose less heat from the stove that way.

You wouldn't notice the cold outside air coming in when the stove is burning, but as Bishop said, new houses are too tight and need extra air coming in for combustion.

Another thing is if you have heat recovery ventilation in your house, you'll have to re-balance the system to compensate for combustion appliances. Otherwise, you might be sucking a little exhaust back in through the pipe connections or retarding the burn. Too much incoming air and you won't be able to bank it down very well.

Don't know if anyone told you this or not, but using double-walled pipe from the stove to the chimney and running the stove at near full-throttle hot for about 30 minutes or so once a week will keep creosote issues to a minimum should you happen to use less than dry wood.
    Last edited by stevelyn; 02-07-2018 at 09:45 AM.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Well it is in and it's beautiful. I can't stop looking at it.

Say, how often do I really have to clean the pipe? I have lots of good oak and ash.

Before every heating season !!

AND, when done for the season, figure out some way to cover the top of the chimney so it can be sealed and prevent entry by birds or other critters.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 02-07-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

It has a pretty elaborate cap to prevent bird interest.